Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 833
    Given: 809

Re: If you love the Internet, speak up now

Quote Originally Posted by SpokaneCY View Post
    But not electricity. Nor drinking water. Indoor plumbing. Non-religious education. Food. But cell phones are. Yet not health care. Nor shelter.

It was the United Nations that stated internet to be a human right, and if you read through their Declaration of Human Rights, you will find the other items on your list.

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

From my brief reading, electricity (which I did not see explicitly mentioned) is considered to be covered under Article 25.

Sanitation and safe water are covered more thoroughly here - http://www.un.org/waterforlifedecade...to_water.shtml - but is also considered to fall under Article 25.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,115
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 146
    Given: 40

Looks like human rights and entitlements are now synonymous. Good to know.

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,363
    Given: 127

Quote Originally Posted by Incyte View Post
    People thinking they have a right to drinking water that won't kill them? What is this world coming to?

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 930
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Google is wonderful.

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by roundball View Post
    There's nothing inherently wrong with a company becoming and being large. Big corporations are often the only entities with the resources to mass produce things and do it with economies of scale so that the price is affordable to the consumer, and our lives are undoubtedly better for it. Without large companies, we're not watching movies on iPads while flying to Europe on a Boeing 787, for example.

The problem is when there's a lack of competition and/or regulation, like there is here. Yes, companies manipulate public policy by lobbying and buying politicians and the regulators they appoint, and the recent abhorrent SCOTUS decisions are only making that worse, but the solution shouldn't be disallowing companies to become large and influential (something that's the goal of many small businesses).
    Reread the second sentence of my post that you quoted.

Whether there is a problem with a company becoming large depends on how the growth is achieved. There are two ways a company can become large. One is by organic growth, which is awesome. The other is by acquisition. Acquisition is fine, until there are only a few large companies left in a particular industry. Then we have very limited competition, resulting in a practical monopoly, where the few large companies have the power to manipulate public policy in a way that benefits them and not society in general.

You said that part of the problem is lack of competition. You can't have competition when companies are permitted to become large by buying up all the competition (i.e. Comcast buying TWC along with a number of other competitors in the past).

Last edited by jbhtexas; 05-16-2014 at 10:07 AM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Starter
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 418
    Given: 140

This is so arrogant. The internet is easily one of the most transformative inventions humankind has ever produced. It's uplifted millions if not billions of people out of poverty and spawned more innovation than anyone could have imagined. Every one of us is better off for it.

Even if you don't view it as a "human right", why wouldn't you want every single person to have access to it just as a decent thing to do for society? I'm going to guess you're not a fan of Jonas Salk, either.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Google is wonderful.
    Not if they don't pay Mediacom a license fee, then they will be throttled down and unusable. People think this is all about netflix, it is not.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Reread the second sentence of my post that you quoted.

Whether there is a problem with a company becoming large depends on how the growth is achieved. There are two ways a company can become large. One is by organic growth, which is awesome. The other is by acquisition. Acquisition is fine, unit there are only a few large companies left in a particular industry. Then we have very limited competition, resulting in a practical monopoly, where the few large companies have the power to manipulate public policy in a way that benefits them and not society in general.

You said that part of the problem is lack of competition. You can't have competition when companies are permitted to become large by buying up all the competition (i.e. Comcast buying TWC along with a number of other competitors in the past).
    I get what you're saying, but big is not always synonymous with monopolistic, and that's exactly why we have antitrust legislation and the Federal Trade Commission and various other regulatory bodies. I'll agree that allowing the Comcast/NBC merger was a shortsighted decision at best, though, and it's not like we weren't warned.

Legend
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Not if they don't pay Mediacom a license fee, then they will be throttled down and unusable. People think this is all about netflix, it is not.

Netflix is the commonly used example because it already happened. Seriously, that video daesrop linked is eye-opening.

http://www.cnet.com/news/netflix-rea...-with-comcast/

Legend
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 223
    Given: 862

Here's a guide on what to do to get your voice heard in opposition of this garbage:

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-yell-at-th...net-1576943170

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by roundball View Post
    I get what you're saying, but big is not always synonymous with monopolistic, and that's exactly why we have antitrust legislation and the Federal Trade Commission and various other regulatory bodies. I'll agree that allowing the Comcast/NBC merger was a shortsighted decision at best, though, and it's not like we weren't warned.
    Why aren't these safeguards working to protect the public interest in preventing things like these mergers?

I agree, it's not always cut and dried, as to whether big is "bad". I didn't like (and still don't like) the Comcast/NBC merger because it put Comcast in the content production business, and I see that as a big conflict with Comcast being one of the few remaining content delivery providers. However, on the other side of the coin, I've spoken with folks who work for the local NBC affiliate (which is NBC-owned), and Comcast has been a godsend for them. GE was implementing yearly budget cuts, staff cuts, and providing no money for equipment upgrades and replacement. The station was dying. Comcast on the other hand has invested into the station, including a brand new state-of-the art studio complex just south of DFW airport. And NBC-5 has been doing much better in the local news ratings since Comcast has invested.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 05-16-2014 at 10:33 AM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Starter
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 11

I'm sure you are a wonderful person.

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    But we will now be the joke of college athletics. We can't even be entrusted to keep opposing teams safe and secure when they come to Ames anymore. What a joke. As an ISU alum, I'm completely embarrassed and ashamed.

Football is just a stupid game. Who cares who has the better football team. It's just a game.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Why aren't these safeguards working to protect the public interest in preventing things like these mergers?

I agree, it's not always cut and dried, as to whether big is bad. I didn't like (and still don't like) the Comcast/NBC merger because it put Comcast in the content production business, and I see that as a big conflict with Comcast being one of the few remaining content delivery providers. However, on the other side of the coin, I've spoken with folks who work for the local NBC affiliate (which is NBC-owned), and Comcast has been a godsend for them. GE was implementing yearly budget cuts, staff cuts, and providing no money for equipment upgrades and replacement. Comcast on the other hand has invested into the station, including a brand new state-of-the art studio just south of DFW airport. And NBC-5 has been doing much better in the local news ratings since Comcast has invested.
    A lot of the time, they are. Off the top of my head, I can think of several denied mergers from the last few years (AT&T/T-Mobile, Duke Energy and someone else, railroads are trying to merge all the time). I think the reasons you don't hear about them are that A) it's not as media-sensational as when big companies do merge, and B) they usually don't involve companies directly providing a service that over 85% of the public consumes, like the internet.

Some of the blame rests with the public, too. There's an incredible amount of transparency and public input involved with this type of regulation, and don't forget that these rule-makers are all appointed by politicians that we elect. They can get away with making bad decisions a lot of the time because the public is indifferent or not paying attention, and shame on us. Even the issue before us, net neutrality, has been vigorously debated for over a decade...and the biggest reason people are even paying attention right now is probably that they don't want their Netflix dicked around with.

Rookie
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 25

Legend
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

the comments on that article pretty well tear her reasoning apart. I thought these were a couple good ones.

sakamotopaya22 hours ago

Good coverage, but you left out some important details.. or perhaps I missed them:

1) Netflix has boxes that cache content. They will install them _inside_ the ISP network... and maintain them. Thus drastically reducing the traffic flowing through the switches and giving the ISP's customers a great experience. Companies like Comcast and Verizon have refused the offer.

2) The traffic flow to the ISPs is _inherently_ lopsided. For my ISP, the ratio in is almost 17 times the ratio out. Last mile ISPs will _always_ have more data flowing in than out.

3) This is their job. We are paying them to deliver us content. If they are over selling their capacity, then they need to upgrade their capacity.

4) If ISP succeed in extorting money from content providers, who do you think will ultimately pay? We will magically not be affected when companies like Netflix have to pay? Ultimately, this is just another way of raising our monthly bill.

Jack__M2 hours ago

The author makes a fundamental, terrible error: Assuming that the same rules that apply to "transit providers" like Level 3 and Cogent apply to "broadband services" like Comcast.
    Three words: Terminating Access Monopoly.
    You see, as a "broadband service provider", Comcast has the power to essentially hold the internet hostage (or more specifically, demand ransom from the "edge providers" like Amazon or Netflix or Google.) And this is not a theoretical concept either. In the old AT&T telephone monopoly, AT&T actively sought to keep other businesses from providing long distance companies access to their customers.
    For that reason, the internet as we know it today operates on the principle of "Bill and Keep", which basically means that the broadband providers, as the agency that is providing consumer access to the internet ONLY CHARGE THE CONSUMER for their services.
    Comcast is connected directly to the consumer base and is supposed to charge the full cost of providing a specific level of internet service, whatever that may involve, to the consumer, NOT THE EDGE PROVIDERS.
    <b>But what about the peering agreements between Transit Providers? They are irrelevant here!
    Transit Providers are in a different business than the broadband providers and do not have the ability to cut off consumers from the edge providers like Netfllix. Besides, the default mode for the Transit Providers is for each one to demand cash on the barrelhead compensation for the traffic they are carrying. The peering agreements are a recognition that if Transit Provider A charges Transit Provider B for $1000 and B charges A for $1000, the result is a wash.
    THERE IS NO ANALOGY WITH THE BROADBAND CARRIERS!