Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 464

Re: Release: SCHEMATIC DESIGNS FOR SOUTH END ZONE PROJECT RELEASED

Quote Originally Posted by Clone1138 View Post
    I'm actually half temped to use my decent 3d animation skills to update the SketchUp model with the final design and render out some animations of it. Those handful of official renderings released are nice, but don't go far enough to wet my appetite. I want to see what the place will look like from where my seats are.
    Get to work!

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 19

Out of curiosity, but does anyone here play around with Google SketchUp at all? Someone was kind enough to build a 3D model of Jack Trice Stadium with it and filled in the SEZ area with one of the older concepts before the final version was released this year. So while it's not accurate to the final design, the program does let you fly a virtual camera around to different locations in it and let me tell you, I got chills. I don't think any of us are prepared for how much this is going to change/improve the atmosphere there.

I'm actually half temped to use my decent 3d animation skills to update the SketchUp model with the final design and render out some animations of it. Those handful of official renderings released are nice, but don't go far enough to wet my appetite. I want to see what the place will look like from where my seats are.
    Go for it. I attempted to myself but lost interest. Maybe I'll try it again.

Rip 'n Shred - Shred 'n Rip

Addict
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 1,071
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Now we'll get to watch an animated tractor move down the ribbon board as we get into the CASE IH RED ZONE.
    Now, THAT sounds awesome :)

Rookie
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by ljm4cy View Post
    Hey AllIn, do you know whether or not Daktronics and ISU have signed an agreement on the ribbon board and SEZ video board? The Board of Regents apparently approved proceeding with this work at the April, 2014 meeting. There is also to be sound system improvements as part of the upgrade. $2.3 million was the proposed cost.

When you said it looks like you might be doing some more work at JTS, do you have any idea of the time frame?
    Sorry, I wish I did. I just know what the big wigs tell me, which isn't a lot most of the time. When I find a time frame out I will be sure to let everyone know.

Rookie
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 16

Out of curiosity, but does anyone here play around with Google SketchUp at all? Someone was kind enough to build a 3D model of Jack Trice Stadium with it and filled in the SEZ area with one of the older concepts before the final version was released this year. So while it's not accurate to the final design, the program does let you fly a virtual camera around to different locations in it and let me tell you, I got chills. I don't think any of us are prepared for how much this is going to change/improve the atmosphere there.

I had had made that model back around '08 I believe. Since then the plan has obviously changed, but I ended up doing the north end zone video board as well.

Funny thing is is that I did create a animated fly-through of that original concept...I posted it on YouTube and a link made it on cyclonefanatic. Within a couple days the video had over 10,000 views...go figure. Shortly after the link was on here though, someone from the ADs office messages me and asked that I take the video down. They thought somehow the architect's concepts at that time had been leaked and they didn't want fans/potential donors to think the model and animation was an official video. Not wanting to ruffle any feathers, I complied and took the video down. But the original model remains on the sketchup warehouse.

"You can observe a lot by watching" ~Yogi Berra

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 165
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by ljm4cy View Post
    Hey AllIn, do you know whether or not Daktronics and ISU have signed an agreement on the ribbon board and SEZ video board? The Board of Regents apparently approved proceeding with this work at the April, 2014 meeting. There is also to be sound system improvements as part of the upgrade. $2.3 million was the proposed cost.

When you said it looks like you might be doing some more work at JTS, do you have any idea of the time frame?
    What did the North End Zone Board cost? I was thinking it was a lot more then 2.3. Where the support beams what cost so much? I would think the SEZ board would cost something similar plus the cost of the ribbon. For some reason I was thinking the board itself was around 5 million?!?! I don't remember.

All-Star
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by 19210 View Post
    What did the North End Zone Board cost? I was thinking it was a lot more then 2.3. Where the support beams what cost so much? I would think the SEZ board would cost something similar plus the cost of the ribbon. For some reason I was thinking the board itself was around 5 million?!?! I don't remember.
    Yea, I think the $2.3 mill is pretty much just the cost of the board, everything else is in the bids going out for the south end zone project.

Walk On
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 4

Even with the stadium addition, I think Baylor will have the best stadium in the Big 12, but if A&M was still in the conference it would be them however.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 308
    Given: 124

Quote Originally Posted by Cycopath View Post
    Even with the stadium addition, I think Baylor will have the best TARP in the Big 12, but if A&M was still in the conference it would be them however.

Legend
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 698
    Given: 1,492

Quote Originally Posted by Cycopath View Post
    Even with the stadium addition, I think Baylor will have the best stadium in the Big 12, but if A&M was still in the conference it would be them however.
    If you are fan number 45,001 wanting to get into the stadium to watch a game you might not think the stadium is quite so great.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldnít get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 19

Best I could do with retrofitting my previous model.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1052 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	27678

Views:	1014 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	27679

Views:	333 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	27680

Views:	977 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	27681

Views:	1000 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	27682

*credit to csc for Bergstrom and jacobson model and doughlas.rh for videoboard

Last edited by Goothrey; 08-02-2014 at 11:10 PM.
    Rip 'n Shred - Shred 'n Rip

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 500
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 92

This is me randomly hoping in this thread, did I hear somewhere that the SEZ videoboard will be similar size dimensions with the NEZ scoreboard?

Addict
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 320

Quote Originally Posted by Bu4ISU View Post
    This is me randomly hoping in this thread, did I hear somewhere that the SEZ videoboard will be similar size dimensions with the NEZ scoreboard?
    Pollard has already said the new SEZ video board will be "very similar" to the NEZ one we already have. So to answer your question Yes!

ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 84

It would be cosmetic, so probably will not be done because of the cost. But, imagine if the vertical steel understructure beams were faced with concrete panels that matched the rest of JTS's external surfaces. Cosmetic pillars, similar in appearance to those around the exterior of Hilton. Would really add to the appearance, I'd think.

Nevertheless, imho, we're going to wind up with a fine stadium. Other places are building new because those schools have little choice, their buildings were so far outdated. Minnesota's big old Memorial 'U', for example. Our digs will be pretty snazzy. They won't be embarrassing to me; I guess others here feel differently, though.

Remember, when JP first arrived and he issued building concept updates? One of the graphics illustrated glassing in Hilton's exterior vertical supports to create a large concourse under Hilton's roof overhang. Probably too expensive to ever be done, unless it can be justified by expanded interior seating, maybe. To my little mind, Hilton's exterior is the most impressive college basketball arena in the nation. Add the glass, and wow.

Anyone have a link to Hilton with the glass enclosure?

Last edited by CyValley; 08-03-2014 at 07:44 AM.
    Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

Addict
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 320

Quote Originally Posted by CyValley View Post
    It would be cosmetic, so probably will not be done because of the cost. But, imagine if the vertical steel understructure beams were faced with concrete panels that matched the rest of JTS's external surfaces. Cosmetic pillars similar to those around the exterior of Hilton. Would really add to the appearance, I'd think.

Nevertheless, imho, we're going to wind up with a fine stadium. Other places are building new because those schools have little choice, their buildings were so far outdated. Minnesota's big old Memorial 'U', for example. Our digs will be pretty snazzy. They won't be embarrassing to me; I guess others here feel differently, though.

Remember, when JP first arrived and he issued building concept updates? One of the graphics illustrated glassing in Hilton's exterior vertical supports to create a large concourse under Hilton's roof overhang. Probably too expensive to ever be done, unless it can be justified by expanded interior seating, maybe. To my little mind, Hilton's exterior is the most impressive college basketball arena in the nation. Add the glass, and wow.

Anyone have a link to Hilton with the glass enclosure?
    Google is your friend http://www.cyclones.com/PhotoAlbum.d...00&PALBID=7510

Edit: I'm glad you brought the old Hilton renovation up. After looking through the pictures again does anybody else think the new SEZ renderings look a lot alike the renderings for the Hilton renovations? Obviously they will scrap the practice facility but maybe there is still a plan on the long term horizon to renovate Hilton and dig up those old plans for the 2006 project! That would look amazing if they blended Hilton and JTS together like that!

Last edited by CysRage; 08-03-2014 at 07:34 AM.
    ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads