Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 59

Re: Quarterback Situation

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    They do? Do you believe everything you read on message boards?
    Yeah, if you were Rhoads, wouldn't you "poke your nose" in the offense as bad as it's been the past few seasons? I'm sorry, but if I had a $2M a year job riding on it and a major part of my business was underperforming, you're damn straight I'd have my nose in there. I have no doubt that he won't mess with Mangino because MM is a proven commodity. Mess wasn't. And actually, Herman wasn't either at the time.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 728

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Yeah, if you were Rhoads, wouldn't you "poke your nose" in the offense as bad as it's been the past few seasons? I'm sorry, but if I had a $2M a year job riding on it and a major part of my business was underperforming, you're damn straight I'd have my nose in there. I have no doubt that he won't mess with Mangino because MM is a proven commodity. Mess wasn't. And actually, Herman wasn't either at the time.
    What I was referring to was the part demeaning CPR. By the same reasoning, he "stuck his nose into" the defensive side of the ball--and didn't "do well" there, either.

I really dislike that ugly kind of thought process, that just looks for excuses to put down out coaches and players.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Starter
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 126

No matter how you want to look at it, this year and next year will decide Rhoads' fate. At this point Pollard doesn't need him anymore if he can't perform. I think we will be fine, but the seat will start to heat up if this year is a flop.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 808
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by BWRhasnoAC View Post
    No matter how you want to look at it, this year and next year will decide Rhoads' fate. At this point Pollard doesn't need him anymore if he can't perform. I think we will be fine, but the seat will start to heat up if this year is a flop.
    JP's seat should heat up too if his 2nd football hire also fails since his first hire was a huge flop. But I think injuries to Richardson and the o-line killed us last year and I expect us to bounce back this year and get to 5 or 6 wins.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,162
    Given: 1,800

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    JP's seat should heat up too if his 2nd football hire also fails since his first hire was a huge flop. But I think injuries to Richardson and the o-line killed us last year and I expect us to bounce back this year and get to 5 or 6 wins.
    No. JP's done phenomenal things. Not his fault if we struggle to win at a place that struggles/fails to win at football. JP would be safe, CPR would not.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by BWRhasnoAC View Post
    We will probably go 6-6 this fall then a bunch of our assistant coaches will leave and we will have another "rebuilding" year in 2015.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 507
    Given: 48

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    No. JP's done phenomenal things. Not his fault if we struggle to win at a place that struggles/fails to win at football. JP would be safe, CPR would not.
    CPR is under contract till 2021. As you said, it is a struggle to win at football at ISU. CPR has had more success in his first 5 years than about any coach we have ever had. Hell, McDermott was given how long and left on his own accord. How many coaches has JP fired, other than McCarney who "resigned"?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Not to make this a debate on JP, but not sure what he's done that's so phenomenol. He unjustly canned Morgan and made a mess of it as he did, his first two hires in football and basketball were huge failures, we lost our legendery wrestling coach under his watch, and he's had a habit of opening his mouth when he should keep it shut. Former alums like Fred and the Riemen's are doing "phenomenol" things for ISU. But JP is probably safe as long as Leath is safe. If we get a new president he may want an A.D. that knows something about football.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 31

Not to make this a debate on JP, but not sure what he's done that's so phenomenol. He unjustly canned Morgan and made a mess of it as he did, his first two hires in football and basketball were huge failures, we lost our legendery wrestling coach under his watch, and he's had a habit of opening his mouth when he should keep it shut. Former alums like Fred and the Riemen's are doing "phenomenol" things for ISU. But JP is probably safe as long as Leath is safe. If we get a new president he may want an A.D. that knows something about football.
    You just successfully took stupid to a new level. Congrats.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    You just successfully took stupid to a new level. Congrats.
    Instead of throwing around names like stupid, why don't you tell me what I've said in my post that isn't true? I know the JP apologists have excuses for everything, but again, tell me what I said that isn't true.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,034
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 201
    Given: 0

Instead of throwing around names like stupid, why don't you tell me what I've said in my post that isn't true? I know the JP apologists have excuses for everything, but again, tell me what I said that isn't true.
    Compare ISU athletics today to how things were prior to him taking over. That's all that is needed to prove you are wrong.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Me State View Post
    Compare ISU athletics today to how things were prior to him taking over. That's all that is needed to prove you are wrong.
    Once again I'll ask you to tell me one thing I said in my post that isn't true. Take it apart statement by statement if you want to. You might come up with some excuses, but have I said that isn't a fact. As far as ISU sports, basketball is great and as I said, that's thanks to our favorite alum the Mayor wanting to come back home, and apparently he also wanted to come back when GMac was hired. With the horrible shape of our basketball program after JP hired GMac, Fred was not only by far the best hire but probably our only decent hire. But don't forget that when JP took over, Morgan was having winning seasons and winning post season games, which of course Morgan's firing and JP's hiring of GMac quickly reversed. Football right now is coming off a real bad season and there are questions about where the program is right now. JP's firing of Mac and hire of Chizik and his short era was certainly worse than the McCarney era. Those are by far the two most important sports. Wrestling has always been a source of pride at ISU and that's gone downhill. Women's basketball has always been good under Fennelly, though this year I don't think was one of his better years. I really don't know how we compare in cross country, track, golf, etc, now to when JP took over, but there are very few people that care about those sports, and they of course are big money losers that have no following. The football stadium is getting a huge and long overdue upgrade, but that's thanks to the Rieman's, and that's what extremely wealthy alums often do for their universities. Just not seeing the "phenomenol" job JP's done as described by one of his fans.

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 446
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 49

Once again I'll ask you to tell me one thing I said in my post that isn't true. Take it apart statement by statement if you want to. You might come up with some excuses, but have I said that isn't a fact. As far as ISU sports, basketball is great and as I said, that's thanks to our favorite alum the Mayor wanting to come back home, and apparently he also wanted to come back when GMac was hired. With the horrible shape of our basketball program after JP hired GMac, Fred was not only by far the best hire but probably our only decent hire. But don't forget that when JP took over, Morgan was having winning seasons and winning post season games, which of course Morgan's firing and JP's hiring of GMac quickly reversed. Football right now is coming off a real bad season and there are questions about where the program is right now. JP's firing of Mac and hire of Chizik and his short era was certainly worse than the McCarney era. Those are by far the two most important sports. Wrestling has always been a source of pride at ISU and that's gone downhill. Women's basketball has always been good under Fennelly, though this year I don't think was one of his better years. I really don't know how we compare in cross country, track, golf, etc, now to when JP took over, but there are very few people that care about those sports, and they of course are big money losers that have no following. The football stadium is getting a huge and long overdue upgrade, but that's thanks to the Rieman's, and that's what extremely wealthy alums often do for their universities. Just not seeing the "phenomenol" job JP's done as described by one of his fans.
    Good lord...where to begin. Do you really think Fred just stumbled on campus and JP accidentally hired him? JP going up to Minny the day after Greg left to hire Fred was a stroke of genius. Fred didn't call JP after Greg left, JP called Fred. Gene Chizik no matter what anyone wants to say won the national title 4 years after JP hired him...not with ISU but still, JP hired a national champion on his first coaching hire. You think the Reimans didn't have JP in their ear all the time to write that check? Like they just drove to campus and took JP by total surprise? The basketball facility, the football facility, the SEZ...all things past AD's have tried to do...and FAILED to do. I mean, you could go on and on regarding the fabulous job JP has done at ISU.

Starter
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 785
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 347

Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    Good lord...where to begin. Do you really think Fred just stumbled on campus and JP accidentally hired him? JP going up to Minny the day after Greg left to hire Fred was a stroke of genius. Fred didn't call JP after Greg left, JP called Fred. Gene Chizik no matter what anyone wants to say won the national title 4 years after JP hired him...not with ISU but still, JP hired a national champion on his first coaching hire. You think the Reimans didn't have JP in their ear all the time to write that check? Like they just drove to campus and took JP by total surprise? The basketball facility, the football facility, the SEZ...all things past AD's have tried to do...and FAILED to do. I mean, you could go on and on regarding the fabulous job JP has done at ISU.
    Going after Fred wasn't genius, that was the common sense thing to do after Fred expressed interest earlier. Chizik winning a NC? Seriously? Do you even know the controversey surrounding Cam Newton? There is no doubt that he got paid (or his preacher daddy did) to go to Auburn. Auburn just outbid MS State's Alumni. Without Cam, Auburn is a .500 team at best and Chizzy probably loses his job 1 year earlier than he did. He is a HORRIBLE leader and on the field coach, but is a great recruiter, especially so with $$ behind the school to "help" him. JP has done well at creating interest and buzz surrounding the programs, he's a good fundraiser, and made great decisions in CPR and Fred, but after some failed hires in Chizzy and McDermott before that. Remember Auburn had to pay us to get Chizzy...think about that for a minute. That's a stroke of luck! Bottom line is, I am glad JP is our AD, but I also see Cyko's point of view on this.

Last edited by DuckDynastyCy; 05-18-2014 at 08:24 AM.
    "winners never quit; quitters never win"

Addict
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 0

JP is a great marketer and salesman IMO, which is a HUGE part of being a good AD.

He has done a great job at "selling" Iowa State athletics to the fans, the big donors, the recruits, coaches, etc. What he's done with facility upgrades has been fantastic IMO.

And he's done a good job with the non revenue sports as well, and that's why we are consistently up there pretty high every year in the Director's Cup standings and almost always ahead of schools like Iowa. He's done WAY better than Barta over in IC. Iowa has football and wrestling and that's about it. But of course, football is everything revenue wise, so Iowa is fine. But in overall athletics, Iowa is almost always worst in the entire Big 10. So JP has done a great job with the overall success of the athletic teams IMO.

MBB is doing great thanks to Fred, but you have to give JP some credit there because he hired him. And no, it wasn't an easy decision. MANY across the country thought he was an idiot for hiring a head coach with no coaching experience. That was not an easy slam dunk decision.

Football and Wrestling are not seeing the success they need to however IMO. I just really don't think JP cares much about Wrestling at all it seems? Not sure why? But I think it's important for ISU to be have a great Wrestling program again. We have such a great history in that sport. I'm not sure what he could have done about Cael though? It would have been dumb to bankrupt your athletic department to keep Cael here and put the kind of money that Cael wanted to be put into the Wrestling program. Especially when that sport isn't a revenue generating sport. But I think there's more that JP could be doing here.

Football is another story. Although I believe hiring Rhoads was the correct hire, the verdict is still out on whether it will be a successful hire or not? As many have said, he's had the best 5 year start of any ISU football coach. However, last year was a complete disaster by any measure. A couple more years like that, and he'll have to be gone IMO, just in order for JP to put people in the seats and support this new SEZ project.

As with any athletics program today, football is basically everything. You can be horrible at all sports except football and do just fine. Look at Iowa. But you can be pretty decent at all sports except football, and not be doing well. That is just the facts. So there is tremendous pressure on JP, and Rhoads of course, to get this football program turned around and heading back in the right direction. Without a healthy football program, you can't have a healthy athletics department.

So IMO, JP has been a great AD for ISU and I can't imagine where we would be without him, however, the performance of this football team in the next 2-3 years will say a LOT about how healthy this athletics department continues to be, and what kind of legacy JP will have here.