Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 0

Re: Big 4 Classic nearing an end?

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    Personally, I am embarrassed as an ISU fan that we cancelled both games.

- UNI is part of the same educational system as ISU, we should be supporting them however we can within reason
    - UNI game and Drake game are far more interesting than playing NCCUSTA&M State.
    You are embarrassed by a basketball teams schedule that you aren't even a part of? Strange priorities. Who's embarrassed by a schedule to begin with? This is such a strange stance in terms of reality that it's mind numbing.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would give two ***** about UNI and Drake. I'm glad the challenge is going to be over, mainly because the TV setup was garbage, but I see no reason to play those two schools anywhere but Hilton. If they want the series so their kids can take their best shot at the schools they wished offered them, so be it, but don't waste the time and effort to play these games in Cedar Falls or Des Moines. ISU isn't traveling to any other mid majors, why should these two schools get a pass just because they are geographically close?

All-Star
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 683
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 211
    Given: 9

If UNI and Drake are willing to offset the lost revenue by not having the game in Hilton every other year then I say home and home is good. Otherwise hell no.

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 20

I hope we go back to playing both schools every year. How many years in a row had we played Drake before this past season (something like 108 or so I think)? A 2 for 1 with both seems like a good deal to me.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,866
    Given: 1,599

Quote Originally Posted by cemarclone View Post
    If the series between these schools does not continue, it is because of Drake and UNI. ISU I am sure would be happy to play all the games in Hilton. But why should a program at ISU's level play a Missour Valley school at their place? I can't imagine that ISU would play any other team in that league are thier place. At least not since Fred turned the program around. ISU does not owe either of these schools anything. Particularly UNI, since they are in many ways even worse than Iowa fans.
    Because America is the Land of Opportunity, and we theoretically don't believe in this class-based removal of opportunity.

If the big schools want to keep their spot/prestige, let them continually earn it the same way as everybody else, and level out that playing field.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

All-Star
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 232

Like other's have said, 2 for 1 would be my favorite option, but I like playing both teams.

Legend
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 492
    Given: 669

Quote Originally Posted by mj4cy View Post
    ISU, wasn't too long ago was not going to the NCAAs and was getting beat by UNI and Drake. Let's not act all high and mighty like Iowa is trying to. Let's go to UNI and Drake.
    Implied jimlad, right?

Let's bring back McD too.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 466
    Given: 317

Quote Originally Posted by cemarclone View Post
    If the series between these schools does not continue, it is because of Drake and UNI. ISU I am sure would be happy to play all the games in Hilton. But why should a program at ISU's level play a Missour Valley school at their place? I can't imagine that ISU would play any other team in that league are thier place. At least not since Fred turned the program around. ISU does not owe either of these schools anything. Particularly UNI, since they are in many ways even worse than Iowa fans.
    The flip-side of that is: Why is fanbase and program that believes every year that they can go in and win at Lawrence/Austin/Waco/Manhattan/Stillwater/Norman so damn agitated over going to UNI and Drake to prove their dominance every couple years. If we continue to have good teams the worst case scenario is that they get embarrassed and it's a wake-up call before the big games start. If we start having ****** teams again, forcing the games to only be at home or not played all together isn't going to fix that.

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 792
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25

The solution seems relatively straightforward, play both yearly in Hilton and write a check to them for more than we pay other non-conference teams that come to Hilton (which would easily be made up in single game ticket sales compared to the low major non-cons). Most years for us it will be two relatively solid RPI home games. For them it it is a decent check enhanced by a low travel cost. If either Drake or UNI isn't interested that's their prerogative.

One other option I wouldn't be completely against is to play Drake (or UNI) at Hilton every other year and at Wells Fargo the other in a stand alone event. The main problem with the Big 4 Classic is the ticket prices for the double-header. If tickets ranged from $15-40 instead of $25-70 you would get a lot more casual sports fans in Des Moines to attend a game. Everything Iowa State can do to cultivate the Des Moines market is a plus in my book.

When all is said and done, more is said than done

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 79

Quote Originally Posted by RustShack View Post
    If they want to play us, they should be coming to Hilton. We are above playing at small schools like that now.
    How can you say we're above them when we can't even beat them consistently? The sense of entitlement people have after just 3 good seasons is insane.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 29

I can tell you that UNI will not do a 2 for 1. Its home and home or nothing. We've shown over and over that we can build an at large quality schedule without needing Iowa and/or Iowa State.

I'd love to see the home and home come back with Iowa State and never play Iowa again, but after this setup I think most UNI fans realize that neither one is ever coming back to Cedar Falls again. Fran and Barta took care of that.

UNI does play a guarantee game once every 3 or 4 years, but I would think what we command may be cost prohibitive for Iowa State ($200k from Syracuse in 2010 and $225k from Virginia last year). Doesn't make any sense for Iowa State when you can get the Northern Illinois and UMKCs of the world for $50k.

The only hope from a UNI perspective is the great relationship Jake and Fred have. That might be enough, along with Fred's Iowa ties, to put these series back to how they were...

All-Star
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 683
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 211
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Because America is the Land of Opportunity, and we theoretically don't believe in this class-based removal of opportunity.

If the big schools want to keep their spot/prestige, let them continually earn it the same way as everybody else, and level out that playing field.
    We all play under the same rules (for now). That doesn't mean we shouldn't have the ability to look out for our own self interest. There is nothing unamerican about that.

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 926
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 51

I don't think there is any way that we go back to a home and home with UNI or Drake.

If UNI isn't interested in a 2 for 1, they probably won't get a game with us.

The argument that paying them to come for home games is also worthless, we aren't going to sell more tickets because Hilton will probably be sold out for every game next year anyway.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 146

Quote Originally Posted by QCCyclone View Post
    How can you say we're above them when we can't even beat them consistently? The sense of entitlement people have after just 3 good seasons is insane.
    Because we will consistently beat them now. Especially at home.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 146

I wouldn't be completely against a 2 for 1 with UNI, but Drake should only be coming to Hilton.

Addict
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 405
    Given: 334

Quote Originally Posted by 1UNI2ISU View Post
    I can tell you that UNI will not do a 2 for 1. Its home and home or nothing. We've shown over and over that we can build an at large quality schedule without needing Iowa and/or Iowa State.

I'd love to see the home and home come back with Iowa State and never play Iowa again, but after this setup I think most UNI fans realize that neither one is ever coming back to Cedar Falls again. Fran and Barta took care of that.

UNI does play a guarantee game once every 3 or 4 years, but I would think what we command may be cost prohibitive for Iowa State ($200k from Syracuse in 2010 and $225k from Virginia last year). Doesn't make any sense for Iowa State when you can get the Northern Illinois and UMKCs of the world for $50k.

The only hope from a UNI perspective is the great relationship Jake and Fred have. That might be enough, along with Fred's Iowa ties, to put these series back to how they were...

One of the problems for games always being held at Hilton is that most UNI fans would not be able to attend the games because we would control almost all the tickets.

It seems to me that the Big 4 Classic is a good idea, but it wasn't implemented well. For instance, it wasn't a true tournament. Imagine the excitement if it was truly a tournament for the "state title?" I think they might even be able to charge the higher prices for tickets to that.

Or maybe the "play-in" games could be held at Hilton and Carver with the "finals" played at Wells Fargo a week later.