Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 182
    Given: 216

Re: Favorite place of all time?

I was in Australia in college. We were in Queensland near some small town on the coast. From our lodge we walked a few clicks to the coastline in the dark. You could see zero manmade lights, just the moon and the stars. Couldn't hear any traffic or people, just the waves. Beautiful.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 391
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 126

Maui.

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by BeachAve View Post
    Northern Minnesota and a week on Lake Whitefish. Clear, clean water unlike the filth here in eastern Iowa.

~Even though I have been all over the 48 states plus Hawaii/Alaska/Mexico/Canada.

I think N. Minne has been the most enjoyable and relaxing. It helps that I have relatives with summer homes up there
    Agreed. I have been all over the US as well and I live in an amazing state but there is nothing like the Northwoods in the Summer...fishing, boating, golfing, drinking and relaxing. That is my idea of serenity. 70 days until I am there again...

Last edited by ZJohnson; 05-08-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,172
    Given: 1,352

Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
    I was in Australia in college. We were in Queensland near some small town on the coast. From our lodge we walked a few clicks to the coastline in the dark. You could see zero manmade lights, just the moon and the stars. Couldn't hear any traffic or people, just the waves. Beautiful.
    That's what the night sky was like on the ranch. Hubby grew up in KS & Iowa...the first time I took him to the Hill Country is the first time he realized how really really big the Milky Way is. There's too much ambient light in Iowa to see it completely...even in the rural areas...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 205
    Given: 502

Estes Park, CO

Pinedale, WY

"Just remember, what you choose to do with each day is very important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it" -ET

"I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff in my life, but there is a definite learning curve." -CE

Addict
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,096
    Given: 645

A couple pictures I took of Boquete Panama. It is up in the mountains and is breath taking. I want to go back so damn bad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boqeute1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	207.4 KB 
ID:	26580

Name:	Boquete2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	210.7 KB 
ID:	26581

“They're very, very hard to guard,” Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey said. “They're really good. And with Niang in the middle kind of wheeling and all those guys spreading you out, they're kind of a nightmare matchup. And they're men. They're really men.”

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 572
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 242
    Given: 386

Got to agree with St. John USVI

Love the Appalachians, especially the OTBT winding roads. Drove through there one time in my Mustang 5.0 with the top down on a beautiful spring day and it felt like the world was a perfect place.

I also have to put in a plug for the South Island of New Zealand. Soooo beautiful and unspoiled. We were driving along this huge beautiful lake and it just felt so perfect but something was off. Then it hit me. NO houses, cottages or development AT ALL.

Also, a special beach in Western Australia where we spent a perfect day with no one else the whole day to show up and spoil the "we are the only people on Earth right now" vibe. Near Cape Naturaliste west of Busselton.

No matter what, I could NEVER cheer for Dirt and Urine.

Legend
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 508
    Given: 871

Eiseman Hut north of Vail. It's the highest hut in the 10th Mountain System. It is absolutely beautiful in the winter, and there was already 5 feet of snow up there when I was there in December. Part of what makes it my favorite is that is terribly difficult to get to -- it's a 7 mile snowshoe/skin in and 3,000 feet up. When you get there and crank the wood stove up, and look down at Vail it is incredible. I'm not a photographer, but here are some pics I took with my Iphone 4.

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	26585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	26586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	26587 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	26584

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MeanDean View Post

Love the Appalachians, especially the OTBT winding roads. Drove through there one time in my Mustang 5.0 with the top down on a beautiful spring day and it felt like the world was a perfect place.

I also have to put in a plug for the South Island of New Zealand. Soooo beautiful and unspoiled. We were driving along this huge beautiful lake and it just felt so perfect but something was off. Then it hit me. NO houses, cottages or development AT ALL.

Also, a special beach in Western Australia where we spent a perfect day with no one else the whole day to show up and spoil the "we are the only people on Earth right now" vibe. Near Cape Naturaliste west of Busselton.
    We had an experience of unspoiled, all to ourselves (our small group) in Alaska. We went on a kayaking trip down College Fjord in Prince William Sound. The only way you could get to the places we camped was by boat, and occasionally seaplane. There were about 18 of us...it was a trip I will NEVER forget.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 730
    Given: 2,907

I haven't made it to Europe yet, so I'm going to keep it in the US. I loved Savannah, GA - just a beautiful place, lots of history and fun things to see, nice weather in February. I liked it even better than Alaska, San Fran, the east and west coast.

M 7/09

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 14

The Swiss Alps near Lucerne. Beautiful towering snow capped peaks, lush green valleys. A place I will always remember as long as I live!

Rookie
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 37

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    For me it's more about that moment.
    *Flying into Vegas at night and seeing the strip.
    *The first time you're standing in a pool in Mexico while drinking a beer and looking at the ocean. Knowing that for the next week that this is all you're going to do.
    *Visiting battle sites in Normandy France and thinking about what soldiers go through.
    *The first few minutes of tailgating season. You know the team will probably disappoint but the tailgating never does.
    *Being the only people standing on 300+ foot cliff in Ireland.
    *Sitting down and having a Guinness in a bar that is a few hundred years old in Dublin.
    *Rome. Constantly amazed by the number of sites and the history.
    *UK. I'm not a fan of kids but I always get a chuckle when I hear them speak.
    *Driving into my hometown after not seeing it for a few years and nothing ever changes.
    Hope to add some special moments this fall when I head to Germany and Belgium
    Great post and some good points! Usually those more enjoyable moments that involve scenery that put me in a relaxed state, I can remember better and can sometimes still picture it in my head.

The Panoramic view of Dublin in St. James Brewery. Arthur's seat in Edinburgh. The relaxed setting with no cell phone coverage in Lake of the Woods, is a surreal feeling.

Others that come to mind are the obvious. There is something about Hilton that makes a person go crazy.

I do like the tailgating for football games, even though we can usually expect the same outcome every time. Lambeau field is another place that I love. The history and feeling I got when I walked out in the stands for the first time. I got the same feeling when l went back.

Quote Originally Posted by MeanDean View Post

This is my number 1 travel spot I would like to go to in the next couple years. Carries the extreme sports, fishing, hiking, and also has beaches. I've always heard good things about NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by cyinne View Post
    The Swiss Alps near Lucerne. Beautiful towering snow capped peaks, lush green valleys. A place I will always remember as long as I live!
    That is awesome to hear! I'm headed to Switzerland/Italy/Greece this fall. We plan on driving through the alps to Italy. There will be so much to see.

Hawkforlife9 ---"What Fred is doing isn't really working, it just appears that way. Don't ever forget, slow and steady wins the race."

Legend
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 992
    Given: 967

Quote Originally Posted by 4theCYcle View Post
    Great post and some good points! Usually those more enjoyable moments that involve scenery that put me in a relaxed state, I can remember better and can sometimes still picture it in my head.

The Panoramic view of Dublin in St. James Brewery. Arthur's seat in Edinburgh. The relaxed setting with no cell phone coverage in Lake of the Woods, is a surreal feeling.

Others that come to mind are the obvious. There is something about Hilton that makes a person go crazy.

I do like the tailgating for football games, even though we can usually expect the same outcome every time. Lambeau field is another place that I love. The history and feeling I got when I walked out in the stands for the first time. I got the same feeling when l went back.

This is my number 1 travel spot I would like to go to in the next couple years. Carries the extreme sports, fishing, hiking, and also has beaches. I've always heard good things about NZ.

That is awesome to hear! I'm headed to Switzerland/Italy/Greece this fall. We plan on driving through the alps to Italy. There will be so much to see.

didn't make it all the way up to Arthur's Seat, was on the next one down. Probably my favorite moment of the whole trip. Just incredible views.

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 859
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 224
    Given: 304

Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    Already mentioned several times, but I liked New Orleans quite a bit. Spent only a few days in the area in 2010, wouldn't mind a return trip.
    I took my old roommate to Bourbon Street for his 21st birthday. it was a few days after new years so the crowd was still there from the Sugan Bowl. It took weeks for my liver to recover. What a party town. I would love to visit there to see the actual town away from the drunken debauchery of Bourbon Street. the food and music there were spectacular.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836 View Post
    didn't make it all the way up to Arthur's Seat, was on the next one down. Probably my favorite moment of the whole trip. Just incredible views.
    Of the countries we've visited, hubby and I both agree that Scotland is the one we'd like to go back to the most. The people were sooooo nice...and ach, there's just something about a mon in full kilt... ;)