Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 75

Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

Quote Originally Posted by Section110 View Post
    8 or 9 wins a year a couple times already!? Good lord man I get that you tend to have a positive outlook, and I respect that. Sometimes I just don't think you understand how ridiculous you sound. Look at the history of ISU football and then consider the logic in that statement about 8 or 9 wins. That has happened once since the 70's and you act like it would have been a given to occur a couple times in the past few years. I get that the B12 North was bad, but ISU was consistently at the bottom of it. Again, it's happened 1 time in 30 years...
    Considering McCarney won 9 games once, and 7 games four times in the old Big 12 north with arguably worse talent and overall worse teams that's not a stretch at all. In 2011 and 2012 Rhoads's teams were better than almost all the McCarney bowl teams. In 2005 Iowa State only played one ranked team, which was an overrated Iowa team. Rhoads's 2011 and 2012 teams would have probably pulled off wins against the likes of Nebraska, Kansas, and Missouri. That's 10 wins.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,058
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 0

8 or 9 wins a year a couple times already!? Good lord man I get that you tend to have a positive outlook, and I respect that. Sometimes I just don't think you understand how ridiculous you sound. Look at the history of ISU football and then consider the logic in that statement about 8 or 9 wins. That has happened once since the 70's and you act like it would have been a given to occur a couple times in the past few years. I get that the B12 North was bad, but ISU was consistently at the bottom of it. Again, it's happened 1 time in 30 years...
    He's completely right though. Adding another cupcake to the schedule, and taking Oklahoma and Texas off the schedule every other year. Hell if we had Iowa's schedule we'd win 8 games. CPR has been dealt one of the hardest schedules in the nation every year. That one time in 30 years probably wouldn't have even happened if it were against today's schedule.

Starter
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 109

Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    Considering McCarney won 9 games once, and 7 games four times in the old Big 12 north with arguably worse talent and overall worse teams that's not a stretch at all. In 2011 and 2012 Rhoads's teams were better than almost all the McCarney bowl teams. In 2005 Iowa State only played one ranked team, which was an overrated Iowa team. Rhoads's 2011 and 2012 teams would have probably pulled off wins against the likes of Nebraska, Kansas, and Missouri. That's 10 wins.

Look, you can attempt to rationalize your comment all you want. It doesn't make what you said sound any better. When something has happened once in 30 years assuming it would happen again no matter what the circumstances are is ridiculous. You're drinking way too much Rhoads kool-aid.

That 9 win McCarney team was far from lacking talent. Rosenfels has played more NFL football than any Rhoads player, and there hasn't been a single QB from the Rhoads era even get a sniff from the league. Add in Ennis Haywood, Reggie Hayward, and JJ Moses and that team in terms of talent matches up well with any Rhoads team. Hayward was a 3rd round pick who was also in the NFL for almost 10 years. Who does Rhoads take credit for? Knott and Klein?

Starter
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 109

Quote Originally Posted by RustShack View Post
    He's completely right though. Adding another cupcake to the schedule, and taking Oklahoma and Texas off the schedule every other year. Hell if we had Iowa's schedule we'd win 8 games. CPR has been dealt one of the hardest schedules in the nation every year. That one time in 30 years probably wouldn't have even happened if it were against today's schedule.
    I understand the B12 North was terrible. I understand that would increase the odds of an 8 or 9 win season occurring. I don't understand someone making a blanket statement that Rhoads would have accomplished that multiple times now. Given the history we're talking about here that's insane.

It's funny that you guys stick up for the quality of the B12 North when it's convenient, but then when you try to make an argument like this you say the B12 North was garbage and Rhoads would have owned it. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Starter
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 643
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 18

Sorry folks but thought this was about WWE, since Evolution uses the "Adapt or Perish" Slogan:

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,014
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 75

Look, you can attempt to rationalize your comment all you want. It doesn't make what you said sound any better. When something has happened once in 30 years assuming it would happen again no matter what the circumstances are is ridiculous. You're drinking way too much Rhoads kool-aid.

That 9 win McCarney team was far from lacking talent. Rosenfels has played more NFL football than any Rhoads player, and there hasn't been a single QB from the Rhoads era even get a sniff from the league. Add in Ennis Haywood, Reggie Hayward, and JJ Moses and that team in terms of talent matches up well with any Rhoads team. Hayward was a 3rd round pick who was also in the NFL for almost 10 years. Who does Rhoads take credit for? Knott and Klein?
    The 2011 Iowa State Cyclones went 6-6 in the regular season and played seven ranked teams. The 2005 Iowa State Cyclones went 7-4 in the regular season and played two ranked teams. How many wins do you think the 2011 team would have had in 2005?