Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 0

Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

Quote Originally Posted by UNIPantherFan View Post
    As an outsider who hasn't really followed ISU football that closely (but will start to now that I work at ISU), I don't think the program is in as bad a place as some of you are making it out to be, but maybe I'm just optimistic. In my unbiased opinion I think ISU wins between 4-6 games this Fall.

I think Mangino is a great hire at OC, but as others have mentioned he only signed a two year contract and I don't see him staying any longer than that - either he's successful and takes a new job or is mediocre and doesn't get an extension. I'm hoping for the first option and that the offense turns the corner and can put up some points.

I also think that if ISU wants to improve the branding thing is HUGE: Stadium upgrades - I know the one endzone will be renovated next year, but after that I think you have to look at a new pressbox (the current one is an eyesore IMO and makes the stadium look outdated); why not try uniform upgrades - I know almost everyone is going to the chrome helmets and crazy uniform combos so it's hard to set yourself apart, but kids seem to like that stuff and if it helps recruiting, why not try it?
    Couldn't agree more.

I too think if Mangino has much success here, he will be gone, so we shouldn't count on him as being the savior. However, hopefully he can get us off in the right direction in two years time offensively.

As for upgrades, you are correct. Outside of maybe KU, we have the worst stadium in the conference. Yes, JP has done basically everything he can with what he's got available to help improve it, but it's not keeping up with the rest of the league IMO.

However, some of the upgrades could be done inexpensively too. Just painting the place would help tremendously. Our stands look like pink and faded yellow. And then how about some signage too? Those huge ugly structures holding up the new scoreboard in the north endzone should all be covered, front and back, with some ISU signage of some kind IMO.

And the uniforms of course should be changed too. Add some spice to the mix. Nearly every school, except for a few like Penn State and Alabama, are now marketing themselves brilliantly. You would think this would be right up JP's alley, but yet, he wants to establish some kind of "brand identity" for some unknown reason?

Oregon has become a national power, and they change their uniform every single game. They have become a "cool" place to play because of that fact. I realize they have Phil Knight in their corner, and we don't, but still, take as much advantage of the marketing thing that you possibly can IMO.

Rookie
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 64

Been a huge fan since 1969 -- in time everyone will realize ISU will never win anything of significance in FB. Best to just enjoy the games we do win. There will be NO Championships of any kind -- and CPR will be replaced in 3-4 years to create false hope once again -- repeat cycle.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by GWad View Post
    Been a huge fan since 1969 -- in time everyone will realize ISU will never win anything of significance in FB. Best to just enjoy the games we do win. There will be NO Championships of any kind -- and CPR will be replaced in 3-4 years to create false hope once again -- repeat cycle.
    I fear that you are dead on.

I'm not sure it's possible for an Iowa State to compete in football year in and year out in the Big 12? We have never proven the ability to do so. As you say, it's basically win a big game here or there to keep people's juices flowing, and then every 5 years or so, hire a different head coach to create more "hope" until the next coach comes along.

That has been the pattern basically. The only thing keeping life in this program right now is it's ability to every once in a while beat Iowa, or pull off a big win against a highly ranked Big 12 team every now and then.

And of course, nobody knows when we might be able to pull something off like this, so people attend the games so they can say they were there when it happened. Nobody wants to miss out on the next possible upset of the #2 team in the country again. Even though it's more likely we will lose by 40 to such a team, there's always that chance that we can pull off that upset, and so people come to the games hoping to witness it.

Recruit
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 302

Quote Originally Posted by DandyCyclone View Post
    Obviously the football budget is different but at Oregon they had a one time only SPRING GAME UNIFORM this year. And guess who noticed this? SportsCenter. Free advertising and exposure!! Guess who watches SportsCenter and follows them on Twitter: every one who watches sports, especially recruits. Seriously they put more money/design/effort into their spring game uniform than what we do for our entire standard uniform.
    ISU doesn't have to do an Oregon overhaul where they have 100+ uniform combinations. Maybe just make an alternate helmet and a couple alternate uniforms that you can wear every 2-3 games to switch things up a bit. Something to make the uniforms look less like USC and be unique to ISU.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,034
    Given: 411

Quote Originally Posted by UNIPantherFan View Post
    ISU doesn't have to do an Oregon overhaul where they have 100+ uniform combinations. Maybe just make an alternate helmet and a couple alternate uniforms that you can wear every 2-3 games to switch things up a bit. Something to make the uniforms look less like USC and be unique to ISU.
    I agree. I was using the Oregon Spring Game uniforms as an example and I also prefaced the statement with acknowledging their budget destroys our's.

One thing that has always annoyed me about the football uniforms is the gray facemask. Does this annoy anyone else? It makes the helmet ugly and boring and it doesn't blend with the cardinal and gold at all.

"Tonight's forecast... a freeze is coming." - Matty Ice
    #cyclONEnation

All-Star
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 552
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

Mangino was head coach at Kansas for 8 years and they had one year over .500 in conference. Overall conference record was 23-41, pretty Rhoads-like except for one incredible year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,785
    Given: 1,502

Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    Prince's SOS was easier as a general rule. He played in the old Big 12 north, and there were four non-conference games then instead of three.
    He also had the Power Towel. It's really not fair to compare any coach to someone with a Power Towel.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DandyCyclone View Post
    I agree. I was using the Oregon Spring Game uniforms as an example and I also prefaced the statement with acknowledging their budget destroys our's.

One thing that has always annoyed me about the football uniforms is the gray facemask. Does this annoy anyone else? It makes the helmet ugly and boring and it doesn't blend with the cardinal and gold at all.
    The best ISU uniforms I've seen at ISU since the Crutchfield era, was the Jack Trice throwback uniforms we wore against Iowa last year. Those were sick. I love the actual "gold" versus yellow.

Of course, if we go to true "gold", like we should, then we run the risk of looking like Florida State or Minnesota, however, I think our "cardinal" color would hopefully be different enough from their more maroon looking color.

But going back to our traditional "gold" would be a huge upgrade over the yellow IMO. And also, incorporate a little white into the uniform too IMO. Maybe just the numbers, or the outline around the numbers or something?

You have to admit these are pretty sick looking helmets.....

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 389
    Given: 315

Quote Originally Posted by deadeyededric View Post
    Our football program sucks because our Head Coach sucks. The sooner everybody realizes that the better off we will be. Best thing I did last year was not renew season tickets, and I wont this year either. Cant wait for basketball!

If anyone else wishes to join Dedric in giving up their tickets, please post the seat locations. Some of us are looking to buy more. And you will be begging us for them later.

Rookie
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Rods79 View Post
    Could have mentioned that during those Mac years of 12 teams and two divisions, I believe we were the only team that had to play Oklahoma and Texas in a single season rotation. Maybe Baylor too? Not defending the performance, but a little goes a long way and one more win in a few of those seasons could have helped level out the peaks and valleys.
    No Kansas had same schedule and when came time to renew conf would not change it. Thought that totally sucked it was okay to continue screwing Ia State & Kansas rather than be fair or **** anybody else off.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 40

Quote Originally Posted by CyCy View Post
    Mangino was head coach at Kansas for 8 years and they had one year over .500 in conference. Overall conference record was 23-41, pretty Rhoads-like except for one incredible year.
    And in that one year he missed the three top teams from the South. He played one ranked conference opponent and lost to them.

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 151

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    If anyone else wishes to join Dedric in giving up their tickets, please post the seat locations. Some of us are looking to buy more. And you will be begging us for them later.
    Haha NSIS... My Dad had 6 tickets last year and he was basically giving them away for the latter half of the season.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,067
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 562

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    How much later? I don't see much good happening here in the foreseeable future.

Starter
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 6

OK Debbie Downers. Can we at least wait until the season starts before we jump off the bridge? Cub fans should be our role models.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,067
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 562

Quote Originally Posted by hoosman View Post
    OK Debbie Downers. Can we at least wait until the season starts before we jump off the bridge? Cub fans should be our role models.
    You know how many Cubs fans actually think they will ever win anything again?