Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 96
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 809,693, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    16,734
    Points
    809,693
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,259
    Given: 322

    Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"


  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 41,103, Level: 62
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 547
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    NickTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    4,361
    Points
    41,103
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 392

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    That is a good philosophy for life in general. I think Rhoads had enough of the "perishing" last season. Let's hope this is an "adaption" season.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 408,025, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    61,083
    Points
    408,025
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 876
    Given: 608

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Still adapting under the five year plan. "Trying to avoid perishing" may be our slogan.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 79,150, Level: 87
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 1,000
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    dualthreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Alumni road
    Posts
    6,995
    Points
    79,150
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 42

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    The last two Big 12 Champions were Baylor and Kansas State. Two perennial losers. It's safe to say it's possible to adapt if the right guy is leading the charge.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 408,025, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    61,083
    Points
    408,025
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 876
    Given: 608

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Recruiting. Recruiting. Recruiting. Forget location.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 119,398, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    aeroclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,140
    Points
    119,398
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 114

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    The last two Big 12 Champions were Baylor and Kansas State. Two perennial losers. It's safe to say it's possible to adapt if the right guy is leading the charge.
    I think this does go a long way to prove that the right coach and the right system can win anywhere. We all know OSU was on the cusp of playing for a national title, but looking back to the early 2000s they weren't in a much different place as a program than we were. That said, with the current state of our program and the league, I'm having a hard time seeing us becoming a team that consistently finishes above .500, let alone one that can compete for any kind of championships.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 27,757, Level: 51
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 893
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,821
    Points
    27,757
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 160

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Yes, we have to adapt to the Big 12 schedule, but let's hope that we get smarter with the scheuling of our pre-conference games.


    Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

  8. #8
    Walk On
    Points: 2,907, Level: 15
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    South Cackalacky
    Posts
    152
    Points
    2,907
    Level
    15
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 61

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Einhorn is Finkle, Finkle is Einhorn.



  9. #9
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 8,416, Level: 27
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    cyowan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    286
    Points
    8,416
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 130

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    I think this does go a long way to prove that the right coach and the right system can win anywhere. We all know OSU was on the cusp of playing for a national title, but looking back to the early 2000s they weren't in a much different place as a program than we were. That said, with the current state of our program and the league, I'm having a hard time seeing us becoming a team that consistently finishes above .500, let alone one that can compete for any kind of championships.
    Similar to KU and Mizzou back in the late 2000's. Programs can get better if they have the right people in place. I'm not satisfied finishing 6-7 anymore. If those programs can do it, why can't we?



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 64,891, Level: 79
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,559
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,204
    Points
    64,891
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 253
    Given: 54

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post
    Similar to KU and Mizzou back in the late 2000's. Programs can get better if they have the right people in place. I'm not satisfied finishing 6-7 anymore. If those programs can do it, why can't we?
    I would be happy to get back to 6-7 at this point.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 67,967, Level: 80
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    mustangcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bloomfield
    Posts
    3,216
    Points
    67,967
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 77

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Comparing ISU to Baylor and KSU is just wrong. KSU has had 15 years of elite success. BCS (or that level) bowl games, top 10 rankings, you name...KSU has been a solid program since the late 90's. As much as we all want to compare ISU to KSU it is about like comparing ISU to Iowa. Just not a good comparison. ISU to Baylor? Yeah, if you think Baylor doesn't have significant recruiting advantages to ISU just because they are "Baylor" you'd best get a clue. Also, who does Baylor play in the the non conference? A team like Iowa? Nope.

    Truth is that the dream of CPR taking ISU out of the gutter is gone. ISU is just going to be a 6 win or less (sometimes much less) team from here until they throw dirt on me, and I'm 36. I'll be season ticket holder cheering my *** off until that day....just best to face facts now.



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 57,438, Level: 74
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,112
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    benjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,692
    Points
    57,438
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 28

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post
    I'm not satisfied finishing 6-7 anymore.
    I assume you've increased your donation to reflect your conviction.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 155,053, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,675
    Points
    155,053
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 56

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    Comparing ISU to Baylor and KSU is just wrong. KSU has had 15 years of elite success. BCS (or that level) bowl games, top 10 rankings, you name...KSU has been a solid program since the late 90's. As much as we all want to compare ISU to KSU it is about like comparing ISU to Iowa. Just not a good comparison. ISU to Baylor? Yeah, if you think Baylor doesn't have significant recruiting advantages to ISU just because they are "Baylor" you'd best get a clue. Also, who does Baylor play in the the non conference? A team like Iowa? Nope.

    Truth is that the dream of CPR taking ISU out of the gutter is gone. ISU is just going to be a 6 win or less (sometimes much less) team from here until they throw dirt on me, and I'm 36. I'll be season ticket holder cheering my *** off until that day....just best to face facts now.
    Before you get killed for this let me agree with you...except for the last paragraph. We've got an OC in place who won an Orange Bowl at KU. I'm not ready to say the dream is gone. Not yet.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 67,967, Level: 80
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    mustangcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bloomfield
    Posts
    3,216
    Points
    67,967
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 77

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    Before you get killed for this let me agree with you...except for the last paragraph. We've got an OC in place who won an Orange Bowl at KU. I'm not ready to say the dream is gone. Not yet.
    Yeah I hear ya, I've got faith in Mangino as well but people have to again be honest with themselves. Mark won the Orange bowl because every star that possibly could align fell KU's way that year. I'm not ready to say the words 'flash in the pan' but yeah, pretty close. Most of marks other teams were just comptetitive in a weak Big 12 north. He got to feast on terrible ISU and at the time KSU teams, Baylor and OSU were nowhere near where they are today...and so forth....His KU teams when he left were not overly great. I hope ISU can get over the hump someday and put 8-9 wins together but if they do I would'nt plan on it lasting. God, I hate to sound like such a downer but I guess I would just rather live in reality.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 83,148, Level: 89
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 602
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ripvdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sk-Ankeny
    Posts
    6,902
    Points
    83,148
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 238

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Recruiting. Recruiting. Recruiting. Forget location.
    System, system, system, talent/recruiting.


    #BEATIOWA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM