Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 37,425, Level: 59
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    farminclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,501
    Points
    37,425
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 8

    Indoor Dog and Flooring

    Wife and I have looked into getting an indoor dog, but have some reservations with the possible damage they could do to our floors. We have carpet and wood laminate in our house. Will they scratch the wood laminate flooring? Any breeds that are worse than others for this? Any other tips/suggestions?

    We would really like to get an indoor dog, but we ( me more than my wife) hate the idea of causing our floors to wear out faster/get damaged just for a dog.

    Thanks.



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 109,728, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,078
    Points
    109,728
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 251
    Given: 271

    Re: Indoor Dog and Flooring

    Quote Originally Posted by farminclone View Post
    We have carpet and wood laminate in our house. Will they scratch the wood laminate flooring? Any breeds that are worse than others for this?
    Nope.

    You're way over-thinking this. Just get your dog.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 181,372, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    9,976
    Points
    181,372
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 126

    Re: Indoor Dog and Flooring

    We had a somewhat large indoor dog and also have wood laminate floor in our kitchen. She had fairly long claws but never scratched the floor. She did, however, dig a hole in the carpet when she was a pup.



  4. #4
    Starter
    Points: 16,822, Level: 39
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    clone4life82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    669
    Points
    16,822
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 126

    Re: Indoor Dog and Flooring

    Quote Originally Posted by farminclone View Post
    Wife and I have looked into getting an indoor dog, but have some reservations with the possible damage they could do to our floors. We have carpet and wood laminate in our house. Will they scratch the wood laminate flooring? Any breeds that are worse than others for this? Any other tips/suggestions?

    We would really like to get an indoor dog, but we ( me more than my wife) hate the idea of causing our floors to wear out faster/get damaged just for a dog.

    Thanks.

    Yup they will.... Unless you have a tile flooring, they'll add wear and tear to it. We had a pergo flooring in our last house and a dog and he added to the scratches on it. As well, the carpet seemed to wear down faster with him. Same with the wood flooring and carpet in our house now.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 146,243, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    theantiAIRBHG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hiawatha, IA
    Posts
    7,951
    Points
    146,243
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 919
    Given: 795

    Re: Indoor Dog and Flooring

    Doesn't sound like you'd even enjoy the dog if you got one. So, what's the point?



    Follow me on Twitter: @theantiAIRBHG

  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 32,353, Level: 55
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 697
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,385
    Points
    32,353
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 70

    Re: Indoor Dog and Flooring

    Quote Originally Posted by theantiAIRBHG View Post
    Doesn't sound like you'd even enjoy the dog if you got one. So, what's the point?
    This. "Just for a dog" is the wrong attitude. Dogs are a responsibility. That thing is going to shed, ****, puke and crap on your wonderful flooring (at least occasionally). If you're already worried about it ... you should get a cat or aquarium fish.



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 37,425, Level: 59
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    farminclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,501
    Points
    37,425
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 8

    Re: Indoor Dog and Flooring

    Quote Originally Posted by theantiAIRBHG View Post
    Doesn't sound like you'd even enjoy the dog if you got one. So, what's the point?
    Me wanting to keep the floor I just paid for and installed in good shape = not enjoying the dog? Got it.

    Quote Originally Posted by LutherBlue View Post
    This. "Just for a dog" is the wrong attitude. Dogs are a responsibility. That thing is going to shed, ****, puke and crap on your wonderful flooring (at least occasionally). If you're already worried about it ... you should get a cat or aquarium fish.
    I understand it will come with responsibilities, I grew up with livestock. "Just for a dog" is the right attitude in my mind. Like I mentioned above, I just put these floors in and would feel sick to my stomach if the dog ruined them in a few months.

    Thanks to the other posters, it sounds like it won't be much of an issue, I appreciate the input!



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 32,353, Level: 55
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 697
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,385
    Points
    32,353
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 70

    Re: Indoor Dog and Flooring

    Quote Originally Posted by farminclone View Post
    I understand it will come with responsibilities, I grew up with livestock. "Just for a dog" is the right attitude in my mind. Like I mentioned above, I just put these floors in and would feel sick to my stomach if the dog ruined them in a few months.
    I also grew up on a farm where the dog had all kinds of space to run around and kick *** and be a dog. In my opinion, you need a different attitude with a house dog. If you are already thinking about how this animal is going to inconvenience you ... you might think about waiting until you value your flooring a little less.

    Good luck, our laminate floors seem to be holding up well with 2 big dogs except where they slop their drinking water.



  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 210,433, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    cowgirl836's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    12,251
    Points
    210,433
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,178
    Given: 1,137

    Re: Indoor Dog and Flooring

    Our realtor has a couple dogs, so she has pointed this out in nearly every house we've looked at (since we've mentioned maybe having a dog in the future). Laminate floors are very resistant to getting scratched up. But whatever you do, do NOT get maple floors. Those floors looked TERRIBLE when there was a dog in the house.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 58,496, Level: 74
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    intrepid27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    2,599
    Points
    58,496
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 107

    Re: Indoor Dog and Flooring

    Furniture is probably at higher risk than floors. Most laminate floors are pretty tough.



    "We don't have thugs." - Fran McCaffery

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 119,047, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    aeroclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,060
    Points
    119,047
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 242
    Given: 88

    Re: Indoor Dog and Flooring

    In general, I think a smaller dog tends to minimize any additional wear to flooring. I have hardwood flooring and smaller dogs, and I haven't really noticed any issues with it.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 112,535, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,307
    Points
    112,535
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 337
    Given: 142

    Re: Indoor Dog and Flooring

    Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    In general, I think a smaller dog tends to minimize any additional wear to flooring. I have hardwood flooring and smaller dogs, and I haven't really noticed any issues with it.
    See, I might be on the other side with this. We have a small terrier (think Toto) and he runs all over chasing toys and puts his front claws up on the window casings to see outside a lot. A larger dog with eye level above those window sills probably wouldn't do as much damage.
    We have lighter stained red oak hardwood and can see scratches when the sun hits it right or you are looking at it from a low angle.
    All in all, I'm OK with all of it. It's part of having an indoor dog.



  13. #13
    Walk On
    Points: 11,718, Level: 32
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 232
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    EnhancedFujita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    223
    Points
    11,718
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 47

    Re: Indoor Dog and Flooring

    Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    See, I might be on the other side with this. We have a small terrier (think Toto) and he runs all over chasing toys and puts his front claws up on the window casings to see outside a lot. A larger dog with eye level above those window sills probably wouldn't do as much damage.
    We have lighter stained red oak hardwood and can see scratches when the sun hits it right or you are looking at it from a low angle.
    All in all, I'm OK with all of it. It's part of having an indoor dog.
    We have 2 small dogs and I think its worse than if we'd had one big dog. The small dogs are hyper and run around a lot. It also depends on the layout of your house. We only really have scratches badly at the bottom of our stairs from the dogs running up and down them. Might not be a problem in a ranch. We are currently looking at laminate because of the dogs though.



  14. #14
    Rookie
    Points: 6,797, Level: 24
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    365
    Points
    6,797
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 102

    Re: Indoor Dog and Flooring

    We have two bigs dogs and have the dark wood laminate. Doesn't scratch at all and looks really nice. Can't even tell it's not wood. Definitely will continue to get the same laminate in other rooms as well.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 23,956, Level: 47
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 594
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cyinne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    1,113
    Points
    23,956
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 25

    Re: Indoor Dog and Flooring

    We have laminate hardwood in our house and not a single scratch with our dog (puggle.) Sometimes I like to chase the dog onto the laminate just to see her "spin out" trying to get traction.

    I have been in houses that have a real hardwood and they are a mess showing all kinds of scratches when there is a dog involved.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State @ Oklahoma State
  • October 4, 2014
  • 11:00 AM