Page 369 of 618 FirstFirst ... 269319359365366367368369370371372373379419469 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,535 of 9258
    Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,181
    Given: 61

Re: Random thoughts thread

Quote Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone View Post
    Nope.
    Yeah, because if I went around "complaining" about how my big weiner makes it hard to run and sit down and wear shorts, it would be because I'm actually complaining and not reverse bragging....

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,834
    Given: 457

And speaking of knockers, I have a theory...the euphemism is correlated to size

Titties->boobies->hooters->funbags->knockers

Iiiiiiiii....think it's time for me to go to bed before permaban.

Last edited by no2cyclones; 08-16-2014 at 09:53 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,181
    Given: 61

Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    And speaking of knockers, I have a theory...the euphemism is correlated to size

***ties->boobies->hooters->funbags->knockers

Iiiiiiiii....think it's time for me to go to bed before permaban.
    Where do sweater puppies lie?

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 893
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 170

Be honest, you surreptitiously step down on it when it's reading, don't you?
    In my 6 hr shift I see this play out a hundred times. Boyfriend convinces tiny girlfriend to get on scale. Much anxiety. Girl empties pockets, takes off $2 flip flops, etc, etc. She begs me to put my hand over the display screen so no one can see it. She steps on scale platform like it will bite her. And the boyfriend, guaranteed, will step on the corner. She sees the reading and flips-the-****-out. This is followed by yelling from girlfriend, laughing by boyfriend and usually some kind of punch to the arm of boyfriend. Then girl makes boyfriend stand across the way and she weighs herself because now she is worried that lemonade shakeup made her gain 20 pounds in one day.

And then there are the people that weigh themselves numerous times throughout the day. Each time they announce that they ate a corndog and want to see what they've gained or that they just went to the bathroom and want to see what they lost.

People amaze me.

"It's a jungle out there kiddies. Have a very fruitful day.
    J. Buffett

Legend
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,171
    Given: 1,132

Quote Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone View Post
    Born in Covina (now West Covina), part of greater L.A., family moved back to TX when I was 6 mos old. Ft Worth until I was five. Then Bellevue, WA (near Seattle) till 1966. Cocoa Beach from 66 to 69. Back to Bellevue where I graduated from HS. Went to the opposite side of the state to Wazzu. Met & married 1st hubby, stayed in Pullman til he finished his PhD. Both boys were born there. Moved to Manhattan KS for a 20 month post-doc, then to San Francisco for a research job in 1980. Came here in 83.

Used to pose an interesting problem when people would ask where I'm "from". Is that where I was born, where my roots are (and where I learned to talk "funny"), where I lived the longest, where I lived most recently before moving here? I've lived in every region of this country except New England & the non-contiguous states. :)

And I really need to sleep.... ;)

you weren't a military brat, right? Parents just liked to bounce around?

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 701
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 235
    Given: 470

Quote Originally Posted by bugs4cy View Post
    If you're not on CF frequently it's hard to keep up on this thread. I was off the radar for the better part of 10 days with a bathroom facelift and then houses guests for 4 days. Whew - I'm finally caught up.

If you're going to the Fair on Sunday I'm at the booth with the scale in Varied Industries for half the day, weighing people. Seriously - people come to the Fair to be weighed in public and then take the little printout home with them. It never ceases to amaze me.

They say country music speaks to the heart. Unfortunately, it has to go through your ears to get there.

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 822
    Overall activity: 96.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,461
    Given: 1,755

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836 View Post
    you weren't a military brat, right? Parents just liked to bounce around?
    Nope. Daddy was an aeronautical engineer. Started at Lockheed in SoCal, went to Convair in Ft Worth, then hired on at Boeing in 1960 and stayed with them until retirement. Boeing loaned him & a whole bunch of other engineers to NASA during the Apollo program. The umbilical tower & the crawler that takes the rocket from the VAB to the pad were part of his responsibilities. When the program was on solid footing, they moved most of the engineers back to their original locations (Seattle area in our case). After that, it's my ex's fault...PhD at Wazzu, then post-doc in KS, then industry job in the east bay area of SF, then faculty here. I've always been dragged where the man in my life (father, ex-husband) wanted to live. Until better hubby & I made the move to our acreage, I was never an equal partner in the choices. :(

All in all tho, I had some wonderful learning experiences by living in so many different regions, but I've set down roots here, and I love it here in Iowa, loved raising my kids here. It still boggles my mind how many generations of family native Iowans have in a fifty-mile radius from where they live though. The Hill Country of Texas is the closest comparison I have to that where I'm related to about 90% in one part of it, but I've never lived there...just spent summers there.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

today is the highest our bank account will ever be. I'm having a moment of silence.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

today is the highest our bank account will ever be. I'm having a moment of silence.
    Bowing my head in empathy...

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

it's just weird after working so hard to watch it increase every month, now it's going to go down so much!

anyway, if you were building a house, what kind of binder or app would you use? Is Evernote useful for collecting information? I assume it'd still be useful to have an actual binder or folder for stuff like those paint thingies or handwritten notes.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,125
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 468

What the heck, KC, where HAVEN'T you lived, apparently? I've read posts of growing up in texas cattle country, and I thought I saw something about Washington state, and how ever many years in Ames, now Florida? I'm going to need a flowchart, it seems.

To your first question in the quote, according to the interwebs maps, Jensen Beach that he lists is east of the north end of Lake Okeechobee, so in the southern 1/3 of FL, but not Miami/Lauderdale south. Port St. Lucie is nearby, I've never been to FL, but that is a town I've heard of, maybe it's one you know.
    This is correct. In fact, I use the exact method he used to tell people how to find it on the map. Look at the map of Florida; See the big lake kind of in the middle there? That's Lake Okeechobee; draw a line from the top of that due East and where you hit the Atlantic Ocean you find Jensen Beach. We live on the barrier island there (S. Hutchinson Island) which is about 20 miles long. There's a N. Hutchinson Island, too. They were originally one big island, but in the 20's or 30's the Corps of Engineers cut a channel through to give direct ocean access at Ft. Pierce - the biggest town in the area at the time.

Jensen Beach was a huge pineapple plantation area around the turn of the previous century. Very successful for many years until a hard frost hit. It almost never gets below freezing there. Almost never.

We have cousins that lived in Ft. Pierce since 1965 so that's how I came to learn about the area. It's nice because it's somewhat away from the terrible terrible traffic of the season you encounter in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, but still far enough S. to be nice pretty much all winter. The Gulf Stream veers off to the NE about Ft. Pierce so there is a good variety of tropical vegetation which is reduced once you get away from it's warming effects.

No matter what, I could NEVER cheer for Dirt and Urine.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MeanDean View Post
    This is correct. In fact, I use the exact method he used to tell people how to find it on the map. Look at the map of Florida; See the big lake kind of in the middle there? That's Lake Okeechobee; draw a line from the top of that due East and where you hit the Atlantic Ocean you find Jensen Beach. We live on the barrier island there (S. Hutchinson Island) which is about 20 miles long. There's a N. Hutchinson Island, too. They were originally one big island, but in the 20's or 30's the Corps of Engineers cut a channel through to give direct ocean access at Ft. Pierce - the biggest town in the area at the time.

Jensen Beach was a huge pineapple plantation area around the turn of the previous century. Very successful for many years until a hard frost hit. It almost never gets below freezing there. Almost never.

We have cousins that lived in Ft. Pierce since 1965 so that's how I came to learn about the area. It's nice because it's somewhat away from the terrible terrible traffic of the season you encounter in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, but still far enough S. to be nice pretty much all winter. The Gulf Stream veers off to the NE about Ft. Pierce so there is a good variety of tropical vegetation which is reduced once you get away from it's warming effects.
    I describe Cocoa Beach as the pimple on the Atlantic coastline of Florida. Actually, that's the Cape, but it's a fairly easy frame of reference. ;) We drove up from Ft Lauderdale on the A1A wherever possible as hubby had never been east of Memphis and it was his first experience with the Atlantic ocean; we probably went right through Jensen Beach.

Addict
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocialOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,540
    Given: 2,396

Hey KC, if you are in a pie baking mood I am craving an apple, rhubarb, or strawberry rhubarb pie. And I live in Ames.

Naz Long, the Cowboy Killer

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by CoKane View Post
    I haven't seen much of firefighter either.
    Yeah, but a wild batman appeared.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 3

it's just weird after working so hard to watch it increase every month, now it's going to go down so much!

anyway, if you were building a house, what kind of binder or app would you use? Is Evernote useful for collecting information? I assume it'd still be useful to have an actual binder or folder for stuff like those paint thingies or handwritten notes.
    All of the sudden you feel poor.