Page 113 of 618 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213613 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 9258
    Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,598
    Given: 1,546

Re: Random thoughts thread

Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    My friend is building a house right now. He has mixed feelings on it. He's doing the General Contractor role and hiring all the subcontractors so that saves him some money. He's found that materials are more expensive than he thought. He's also able to do less of it than he thought he'd be able to do.

He's owned the acreage for a while so he's been preparing for this for a long time. Most people think they can get whatever they want if they build their own house but really you just get a few more option that you can afford.

Overall I think he will save some money and get a layout that he knows he likes. He said he wouldn't do it again if given the chance though.

we would definitely not be acting as our own GC. Yeah, we're not thinking it would be absolutely everything we'd ever want because money, but it seems to be a good option to get some things we really want.

Vice-President of ***Official I Hate People Who Hate On Random Thoughts Thread***, Inc.

Addict
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,957
    Given: 2,590

My mom is 5'4 and I'm the tallest in my immediate family by about 3 inches. My mom will wait an extra week for me to come over and get something down from her top shelves for her. I swear the only reason I was born was to have a tall kid to reach stuff and help everyone paint.

I got her a stepstool for Christmas one year to lighten my workload at her house.
    Well, duh!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,624
    Given: 3,578

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836 View Post
    we would definitely not be acting as our own GC. Yeah, we're not thinking it would be absolutely everything we'd ever want because money, but it seems to be a good option to get some things we really want.
    I think the main way he's saving any money is by being the GC so be prepared to spend a decent amount if you want to build it.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone View Post
    Well, duh!
    My sister enlisted me to trim the tops of her hedges 4th of July weekend.

Addict
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,957
    Given: 2,590

At work, I will go back to where the students are, and just say "I need to borrow your height (or muscles) for a couple of minutes". We just about always have at least one tall guy back there. Right now, one of the kids is at least 6'6"...and he is a absolute sweetheart about helping me out whenever I need it.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think the main way he's saving any money is by being the GC so be prepared to spend a decent amount if you want to build it.

yeah, we've gotten a couple quotes, so we know about where it would be at.

Vice-President of ***Official I Hate People Who Hate On Random Thoughts Thread***, Inc.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

At work, I will go back to where the students are, and just say "I need to borrow your height (or muscles) for a couple of minutes". We just about always have at least one tall guy back there. Right now, one of the kids is at least 6'6"...and he is a absolute sweetheart about helping me out whenever I need it.

maybe ask for "their highness" hardy-har-har

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 976
    Given: 967

I used to just hop up on the counters to reach the cabinets. I'm getting a little too unstable & rickety to do that any more. I finally succumbed to the collapsible step-stool...which hubby frequently spirits off to the basement or the garage...grrrrrr.
    I call the step stool in our kitchen ****** ****** because that's pretty much what I say when I slam my toe into it during the night. My wife and daughter take turns placing it in various places throughout the house to speed up my demise.

Hoiberg: I have a unique situation here. I grew up here. I went to college here. My family is close and my wife's family is close. I know everyone in the community and my family is very comfortable here. My daughter has dreamed about one thing and that's going to Iowa State. The NBA is great and I love the NBA, but I love Iowa State and the opportunity I have here. We've really built something special and I think we've got real momentum to keep it going even more.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 543
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 13

and anybody here ever built a home not made of legos? You should tell me things.
    We have not but have friends and co workers who have. Check up on the build often both when they are there and nights/weekends when they are not. Have them change things at that point. You will have struggles and fights with the builder but it will be worth it in the long run.

One of the issues a friend had was the paint color not ending up at all of what it was supposed to. So it required picking out a new color and re-painting.

Might be worth starting a thread for everyone to comment about the stuff in their house that they would change if they could. It is always little stuff that you dont realize or think about until you are in it. For us it is the dryer exhaust coming out right next to the a/c. This results in the a/c unit getting covered with lent.

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 976
    Given: 967

I was walking through the grocery store when I saw this lady in her 40's trying to get something off the top shelf. I stepped in and pushed the box farther back, said "there ya go, I got that back up there for ya" and pretended to walk away.

I turned back around and retrieved the item and let her know I was just kidding. She ended up laughing, but that initial glare I received was deadly. I guess only the short people on CF have a sense of humor.

Hoiberg: I have a unique situation here. I grew up here. I went to college here. My family is close and my wife's family is close. I know everyone in the community and my family is very comfortable here. My daughter has dreamed about one thing and that's going to Iowa State. The NBA is great and I love the NBA, but I love Iowa State and the opportunity I have here. We've really built something special and I think we've got real momentum to keep it going even more.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by coolerifyoudid View Post
    I was walking through the grocery store when I saw this lady in her 40's trying to get something off the top shelf. I stepped in and pushed the box farther back, said "there ya go, I got that back up there for ya" and pretended to walk away.

I turned back around and retrieved the item and let her know I was just kidding. She ended up laughing, but that initial glare I received was deadly. I guess only the short people on CF have a sense of humor.
    HA!

I often step up and grab top shelf stuff at the grocery store for old ladies. Never thought to mess with them.

Addict
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocialOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,030
    Given: 3,150

Quote Originally Posted by coolerifyoudid View Post

I need to remember this

Naz Long, the Cowboy Killer

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by wxman1 View Post
    We have not but have friends and co workers who have. Check up on the build often both when they are there and nights/weekends when they are not. Have them change things at that point. You will have struggles and fights with the builder but it will be worth it in the long run.

One of the issues a friend had was the paint color not ending up at all of what it was supposed to. So it required picking out a new color and re-painting.

Might be worth starting a thread for everyone to comment about the stuff in their house that they would change if they could. It is always little stuff that you dont realize or think about until you are in it. For us it is the dryer exhaust coming out right next to the a/c. This results in the a/c unit getting covered with lent.

I've thought about starting a thread for it, but people are apparently sick of me talking about our home search, lol. The good news is that the neighborhood we are looking at has several homes built/in progress by the builder we like (7 in progress or finished, three more empty lots), include one for the project manager, and a lot bought to build on by the builder. I figured that if they weren't confident about the quality of their work, they probably wouldn't have become neighbors with the people they built for.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cmjh10 View Post
    I need to remember this

just remember, when the short, angry lady reaches out to punch you, it will land approximately groin level.

Addict
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocialOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,030
    Given: 3,150

just remember, when the short, angry lady reaches out to punch you, it will land approximately groin level.
    Im the oldest of 4 kids and am dating a girl who is approximately 5'2". This statement goes through my brain before every decision I make.

Naz Long, the Cowboy Killer