Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 170

Re: Whats your major in?

Forensic entomology is fascinating to me. I have a friend in a neighboring state that has a side business rearing out insect larvae recovered from crime scenes and then using the info to determine the time of death. She does this in her house. I guess non entomologists would completely freak out about this but get a bunch of us bug people together and we can talk for hours about this. And want to see pictures.

"It's a jungle out there kiddies. Have a very fruitful day.
    J. Buffett

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 893
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone View Post
    ...but I can seeeeeee them tunneling under there....
    ...and I had a caller this afternoon tell me the very same thing. Normally I peg people like this as drug users but today's caller was different. I think this one was true psychosis.

J. Buffett

Addict
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 915
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,912
    Given: 2,532

Quote Originally Posted by bugs4cy View Post
    Forensic entomology is fascinating to me. I have a friend in a neighboring state that has a side business rearing out insect larvae recovered from crime scenes and then using the info to determine the time of death. She does this in her house. I guess non entomologists would completely freak out about this but get a bunch of us bug people together and we can talk for hours about this. And want to see pictures.
    Do you ever watch Bones? I don't know how accurate Hodges is with his bug info, but I get a kick out of how much he enjoys his work. Kinda reminds me of you! ;)

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone View Post
    Do you ever watch Bones? I don't know how accurate Hodges is with his bug info, but I get a kick out of how much he enjoys his work. Kinda reminds me of you! ;)
    I've had several people tell me I should watch it, but have not managed to catch the show. Years ago I caught an absolute bs CSI episode and I've just kind of avoided Hollywood's take on entomology. But I do love my job! Most days...and then someone delivers a tub of ear wax or pile of dead skin they scratched off and they want to to look at it because they think it's full of insects...

J. Buffett

All-Star
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 760
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 43

Bus admin-marketing

NDSU - BACK 2 BACK 2 BACK National Football Champions! Beat Kansas ST, Kansas & Minnesota 2 times, We hate Iowa and Northern Iowa, but ISU is cool with us. cya in 2014!

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,174
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 206
    Given: 139

I started out in broadcast journalism. I was hellbent on this career - even worked on a tv show for a local chamber of commerce when I was in high school. I land at ISU and in a matter of months a report is released that recommends the university sell the TV station, and ultimately, that is exactly what they did. Meanwhile, I realize that I really, really dislike the other students in my major and I can't imagine working with them the rest of my life.

By accident I end up in an entomology class for non-majors to fulfill a science credit requirements. I find the class ridiculously interesting. Then the professor announces he has openings for student workers in his lab over the summer. I needed a job - boom, I change my major the following semmester.

Once I got in entomology, I got involved in all the related fields - agronomy, plant pathology, soil fertility, water quality, weed science… The broad base of knowledge + communication skills has served me well. I'm still learning new things everyday and I can't even remember the last time I thought I was bored. Supervising people, however, is not my favorite.

I'm in the middle of a hiring process and it's struggle finding candidates that are multidisciplinary and have good verbal and written communication skills. *sigh*
    This sort of happened to me. I came in Ag Studies, and I still am, but I took biology with Dr Holscher and he made me really interested in taking more of his classes. So I took a couple of his entomology classes and it sparked an interest in the subject. It led me to an internship this summer with DM Crop Research Group as an entomology research intern. I'm really excited to get started. I've always basically been set on selling seed upon graduation, but these classes have made me think really hard about going into a crop entomology related job whether it be research or something else. The internship this summer should help me decide, but as of now I'm just not exactly clear on what some career opportunities in the field might be and what I should keep my eye on.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,256
    Given: 560

Once I got in entomology, I got involved in all the related fields - agronomy, plant pathology, soil fertility, water quality, weed science… The broad base of knowledge + communication skills has served me well. I'm still learning new things everyday and I can't even remember the last time I thought I was bored. Supervising people, however, is not my favorite.

Hey Rabbuk...before you enroll for another degree, the weed science she's talking about ain't what you're hoping it is.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CynadoAlley View Post
    This sort of happened to me. I came in Ag Studies, and I still am, but I took biology with Dr Holscher and he made me really interested in taking more of his classes. So I took a couple of his entomology classes and it sparked an interest in the subject. It led me to an internship this summer with DM Crop Research Group as an entomology research intern. I'm really excited to get started. I've always basically been set on selling seed upon graduation, but these classes have made me think really hard about going into a crop entomology related job whether it be research or something else. The internship this summer should help me decide, but as of now I'm just not exactly clear on what some career opportunities in the field might be and what I should keep my eye on.
    Dan is a great guy to work for. I think he offers a top notch service. It will be a great summer experience.

J. Buffett

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 747
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 40

I've had several people tell me I should watch it, but have not managed to catch the show. Years ago I caught an absolute bs CSI episode and I've just kind of avoided Hollywood's take on entomology. But I do love my job! Most days...and then someone delivers a tub of ear wax or pile of dead skin they scratched off and they want to to look at it because they think it's full of insects...
    well, i was enjoying breakfast...

Addict
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,510
    Given: 1,458

I don't know if this has been said or not, but go in to Ag Systems Technology. Those kids are basically getting blank checks from companies. The future of Agriculture is in the tech world, and the future of the world is in Agriculture's hands. Not my major, but it is the route I would take if I could do it over again, probably.

When Kids see the Hilton Atmosphere and our style of play, the get really interested in Iowa State
    - Fred Hoiberg

All-Star
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 533
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by Bret44 View Post
    I don't know if this has been said or not, but go in to Ag Systems Technology. Those kids are basically getting blank checks from companies. The future of Agriculture is in the tech world, and the future of the world is in Agriculture's hands. Not my major, but it is the route I would take if I could do it over again, probably.
    This is pretty good advice.

Anything in Ag is hot right now. Everyone is getting jobs right out of college, everyone. The top people are getting paid $55-$65 right out of school.

I think when things get tough in Ag at some point this will come to a screeching halt. There will be an oversupply of Ag graduates trying to catch the wave and the companies will quit hiring. Everything is cyclical and if you graduated in Ag in the last 5 years you hit the cycle perfect.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 940
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 273
    Given: 357

You should avoid watching TV Shows about ANYTHING you have knowledge on.

Legend
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,256
    Given: 560

Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
    You should avoid watching TV Shows about ANYTHING you have knowledge on.

True...I was watching an episode of Hillbilly blood at my parent's house...it's these, well, hillbillies that shows their 'true lives'...my dad is a big fan...and he was all impressed because they said the one guy cast a handle around a knife blade and rushed it right over to this 'contest' they were having without even taking it out of the mold...I pointed out it was faked because he took the cope off, and there was the knife, all finished with no gates or sprue...poor dad looked at me like I had told him there's no santa claus.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 24

I have an MS in Biochemistry (my BS is Biochem/Molecular Bio from a different school).

I'm in academia because I enjoy working with people more than test tubes.

My skill set is pretty solid, and if I ever decide to go back to the lab, I imagine the learning curve would be relatively short. However, this is only a good major if you're pretty highly motivated and interested in cellular biology. It's not a casual major whatsoever.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 24

Quote Originally Posted by sleestakCy View Post
    Yeah, pretty much any degree that allows you to better understand our history, social structures, and government; do a substantial amount of difficult writing; do critical policy analysis; etc is pretty much worthless.
    I see more of these students in my classes now than ever before. They are learning to be nurses generally.

While the job prospects for applied STEM fields like engineering, CS, agronomy, MIS, etc are strong; the job prospects for basic sciences like biology and chemistry (per PayScale research and other research), for those with only an undergrad biology and chem degrees are really no better than those for history, etc.

I would much rather graduate with a 3.5 gpa in History than a 2.70 in chem or biology.
    Biology I completely agree with. I see more Bio majors who weren't good enough to get into Med/Dental/Professional school who are just floundering and largely working retail. They have theoretical knowledge, but can't work in a lab due to complete lack of skill set.

Chemistry majors generally don't have that problem, since so many of their lab courses develop that skill set (working with GC/MS, pipeting, HPLC, etc).