Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 822

Re: RECRUITING: Hallice Cooke visiting this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by CyclonesFanBase View Post
    CAREER HIGHS For Hallice Cooke
    FG Made: 10 vs. Radford (3/19/14)
    FG Attempted: 14 vs. Radford (3/19/14)
    3-PT Made: 4, two times, last vs. UCLA (2/2/14)
    3-PT Attempted: 8 at Utah (1/4/14)
    FT Made: 8 at Oregon (2/16/14)
    FT Attempted: 8 at Oregon (2/16/14)
    Rebounds: 8 vs. Oregon (3/12/14)
    Assists: 6 at USC (2/27/14)
    Blocked Shots: 1, two times, last vs. Arkansas-Pine Bluff (12/13/13)
    Steals: 3, three times, last vs. Arizona (3/5/14)
    Minutes: 42 at Arizona State (2/6/14)
    Also, IIRC, 10 pts/gm and 3.1 assists/gm in his last 20 games (Pac-12 play plus Radford in CBI). That is comparable to some of the better freshman pgs at ISU. His effective fg% (56%) and true shooting% (60%) were very high, while also taking more 2Ps than 3Ps. He is not a 3P shooter only.

Another poster said it well in that there are tons of 6'3" guards that can shoot coming out of high school that you think can play. You really don't know which ones will cut it in a major conference. A few of those go on to prove they have what it takes to be a high major starter and also develop into pgs. Cooke is one of those. I am thrilled if we can treat other high majors as our prep schools.

Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 04-29-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 984
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 91

I would guess we will have somebody transfer out next year if the talent coming in and current talent looks like a player may not get much playing time. Right now, I think if Cooke and Anderson are great fits for the team, go get them and worry about the future high school recruits in due time

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 0

I almost don't care about hs recruiting anymore. You don't know what you are getting from them. I wouldn't care if Fred went to these AAU tournies and just leaned back wearing sunglasses and playing flappy bird with a sign next to him that says "top 100 or GTFO".

I seriously don't understand any consternation about recruiting. I would be shocked if Vaughn had a significantly better season than BDJ next year. I'd be double shocked if nowisiak was better than Cooke.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 525
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 11

If you can grab a Cooke at 1/100 of the resources of a Vaughn, it's a no-brainer. We won't abandon our HS recruiting - that would be silly. That said, it should be clear that this staff sees transfers differently than many other ones.

Frankly, the talent well is just too deep to ignore. It's Hoiberg bringing his NBA knowledge to the college game and getting "free agents" versus putting all of his eggs in the "draft" crap shoot of HS recruiting. It's smart. Even better is that we're being seen as one of the top destinations for these proven commodities who are lost in coaching changes, don't like their role, or just want a real shot at the big dance. With 400+ guys moving every year, it's not going away. Might as well be the top dog at it until the blue bloods try to change things.

At the very least, it's a great fallback recruiting strategy for Spring signing and roster management. I bet no one would trade this approach for the previous regime's, which seemed to be "take any warm body, even if they have no business being in the Big12." I think it's much more strategic on Hoiberg's part. I think he sees it very much like free agency, where you are getting top talent and proven players looking to make a change. I would guess we'll go into Spring every year with an open spot for a difference maker.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,207
    Given: 481

Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    That story from CW just makes this all seem a lil fishy. I know there are backdoor deals done all the time, you just never hear about them.
    Farrah Abraham?

"Tonight's forecast... a freeze is coming." - Matty Ice
    #cyclONEnation

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 668
    Given: 561

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I almost don't care about hs recruiting anymore. You don't know what you are getting from them. I wouldn't care if Fred went to these AAU tournies and just leaned back wearing sunglasses and playing flappy bird with a sign next to him that says "top 100 or GTFO".

I seriously don't understand any consternation about recruiting. I would be shocked if Vaughn had a significantly better season than BDJ next year. I'd be double shocked if nowisiak was better than Cooke.
    Triple thumbs up.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by 4theCYcle View Post
    So you're telling me you are going to pass on a kid who has proven himself as a freshman at the collegiate level (8 ppg/46% 3P%), has NBA potential and people talking with 3 years eligibility over unproven Seniors in HS? We aren't even leading, that we know of, on any of these kids. Don't get me wrong, Fred needs to land a high impact Mcd AA sometime, but he's proving the transfer route is working very effectively versus spending 1-4 years on kids who, lets be honest, aren't always making the best decisions in life at that age. There was a lot of time spent on Vaughn and look how that turned out. How much time/money was allocated towards BDJ?

Fred and company got on Cooke early for a reason. You passing means you don't trust Fred. Blasphemy.
    Well said.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 507

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWarrior View Post
    He has a point. Niang, Thomas, morris and even custer for this argument may have been four stars, but they had no where near the level of offers that guys like Diallo, ellenson, rashad vaughn and other big time guys we've missed out on.

Niang: isu, bama, charlotte, delaware, fau, george mason, hofstra, iowa, umass, miami, northeastern, providence, sienna, texas a&m

Thomas:isu, boston college, colorado state, creighton, wisc-greenbay, marquette, minn, nebraska, uni, northwestern, virginia, wisconsin

morris: isu, Arizona state, cincinnati, georgia tech, princeton, providence, rhode island, usc, western michigan

custer: isu, houston, kstate, oklahoma, okie state, san francisco, south carolina, tulsa

red were tournament teams this year and yes Iowa counts...

We hardly beat out the kansas' and duke's of the world to get these four guys. Of course there are exceptions to these guys, i.e. Woodbury to UNC. The best offers were matt thomas' to wisconsin and virginia. Morris didn't even have an offer from michigan or michigan state (yes, I remember michigan pulled their offer once walton committed).

They are awesome players and are very good, but guys like Vaughn and Diallo are on different levels. It's a little bit different if you beat out Duke, Kansas or Kentucky rather than the high majority that we did for these guys. Fortunately, we recruit transfers like nobody's business, so this high school recruiting garbage doesn't even matter. Lolololol Free agency snitches!!!!!
    I understand what you are saying, but Niang signed before he blew up on the AAU circuit with people watching Noel. Kentucky was calling him after he already signed with us, so I'd say we beat Kentucky for him.

Morris had his offer pulled from Michigan because Walton signed first which was a first come first serve offer to both. Just because it was pulled does not mean it was never offered.

Again, I understand what you are saying, but to be fair, I think you have to add Kentucky and Michigan to the list.

Ill put any dollar that if I get this ball again, Long said, Its going in.
    - Naz Long to Markel Brown before hitting the game tying shot.

Addict
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 546
    Given: 271

Quote Originally Posted by 1Nation View Post
    If we are seriously in on Ellenson, Noskowiak and Diallo....count me as one to pass on Cooke. He's going to take one of their scholarships. And everyone seems to be ALL IN on the 2015-16 team, I have to assume you'd rather have those three also right?
    Lol Diallo is completely unrelated. Noskowiak I believe the staff is lower on than Cooke. And Ellenson is a priority, but is also completely unrelated to Cooke.

You have to learn, scholarships will open up.

You don't turn down 45.6% 3 point shooters who have three years left to play.

Addict
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 546
    Given: 271

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWarrior View Post
    He has a point. Niang, Thomas, morris and even custer for this argument may have been four stars, but they had no where near the level of offers that guys like Diallo, ellenson, rashad vaughn and other big time guys we've missed out on.

Niang: isu, bama, charlotte, delaware, fau, george mason, hofstra, iowa, umass, miami, northeastern, providence, sienna, texas a&m

Thomas:isu, boston college, colorado state, creighton, wisc-greenbay, marquette, minn, nebraska, uni, northwestern, virginia, wisconsin

morris: isu, Arizona state, cincinnati, georgia tech, princeton, providence, rhode island, usc, western michigan

custer: isu, houston, kstate, oklahoma, okie state, san francisco, south carolina, tulsa

red were tournament teams this year and yes Iowa counts...

We hardly beat out the kansas' and duke's of the world to get these four guys. Of course there are exceptions to these guys, i.e. Woodbury to UNC. The best offers were matt thomas' to wisconsin and virginia. Morris didn't even have an offer from michigan or michigan state (yes, I remember michigan pulled their offer once walton committed).

They are awesome players and are very good, but guys like Vaughn and Diallo are on different levels. It's a little bit different if you beat out Duke, Kansas or Kentucky rather than the high majority that we did for these guys. Fortunately, we recruit transfers like nobody's business, so this high school recruiting garbage doesn't even matter. Lolololol Free agency snitches!!!!!
    Our 4 star guys had way better offers towards the end of their recruitment but they were already committed and not reported. For example, Niang had a ton more offers than that. Kentucky wanted him for ****** sakes.

Walk On
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 10

In 4 years Fred Hoiberg has done amazing. He's made a name for himself and ISU. Just imagine where we "could" be in the near future. Regardless if this is done through High School Recruiting, or Transfers, it does't matter much to me. I believe he'll bring in both, and do what is best for whatever team he has.

Legend
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 822

Quote Originally Posted by kyle22kjs View Post
    In 4 years Fred Hoiberg has done amazing. He's made a name for himself and ISU. Just imagine where we "could" be in the near future. Regardless if this is done through High School Recruiting, or Transfers, it does't matter much to me. I believe he'll bring in both, and do what is best for whatever team he has.
    Am I the only one that sometimes imagines where we could be had we had some better fortune in the NCAA tournament? But yes, if we ever break though to the FF or further, Fred and Matt would crush recruiting.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,207
    Given: 481

Quote Originally Posted by kyle22kjs View Post
    I don't care how the talent arrives in Ames, just as long as the talent is actually there. High school, prep school, junior college, redshirt transfer, graduate transfer, it doesn't matter. It looks like our staff doesn't care as long as we are winning games and I am just fine with that strategy.

"Tonight's forecast... a freeze is coming." - Matty Ice
    #cyclONEnation

All-Star
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 258
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post

I'm glad we're on the forefront of transfer recruiting because I fully expect it to get more and more competitive over the next few years. While I think ISU will continue to do very well in the transfer market, I could very well see it tightening up as schools like Ohio St, Duke, KU, etc. look more at this source of talent than they have in the past.

While I'm very happy with the transfer and JUCO recruiting, I still like the HS market as well. 3 of our 5 main starters this season were HS recruits, including two of the 'Big 3'.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 668
    Given: 561

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Am I the only one that sometimes imagines where we could be had we had some better fortune in the NCAA tournament? But yes, if we ever break though to the FF or further, Fred and Matt would crush recruiting.
    Uhmm, if you didn't you would be the only one.

We beat OSU if Babb doesn't sheer his ankle off, regardless of officiating.

Do we beat UCONN without Georges? Maybe, maybe not, but it would have been nice to find out.