Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,948
    Given: 2,359

Re: Donald Sterling (Owner of the Clippers) is incredibly racist

Just this committee, but only because it's a step in the (unofficially completed) process:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...rd-on-sterling

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Pro
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,186
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by cmjh10 View Post
    I have a couple points I have thought about the last couple days. Some are more just being devil's advocate than anything.

1. Is he really being punished? He is going to sell this team for 1000X what he bought it for.

2. If the league has known about his opinions, why hasnt anything been done before? Stern effect?

3. Parts of this seems a little hypocritical. The players, coaches, and other staff had no problem signing with the team and cashing his checks. The fans had no problem going to the games, and television station had no problem showing the games. If this has been known for years, why hasnt anyone made a stand?

4. It will be interesting to see what Silver does when a player commits a crime and is found guilty. There are players in all major sports that have committed crimes, some worse than others, and are still playing, but this guy states his opinion, although really stupid, and he is banned for life.
    Because the real issue is systemic and most people can realize that. As bad as his comments were publicly, he's one person that has helped a lot of people move from one side of the tracks to the other side.

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,029
    Given: 1,469

Reported this morning that Sterling has cancer.

Addict
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocialOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,187
    Given: 3,397

Quote Originally Posted by CyArob View Post
    Reported this morning that Sterling has cancer.
    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...terling-cancer

Naz Long, the Cowboy Killer

Addict
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 513
    Given: 460

Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    He's not going to lose money. He will make a huge profit if he sells team.

If a few potential buyers get interested, it could result in a bidding war that would increase the price. I don't see the price going down because there is so much more interest now in the franchise.

And this his means Sterling may make even more than if he had sold without the flare up.

Addict
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 513
    Given: 460

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    It all depends on the league constitution. The NBA constitution has provisions in it that allow a two-thirds majority of owners to force the sale of a team for a multitude of reasons. They're written pretty vaguely on purpose, i think, but it's believed that they'll use the section on Ethics to justify his force out, since it includes verbiage about doing damage to the league, which would be hard for Sterling to deny.

I thought I heard Silver make reference in his announcement about the part of the franchise agreement that allowed him to take action. It was some vague "best interests of the league" clause.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,182
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 618

I see his "Silly Rabbit" is now being investigated for extortion. She has admitted that she recorded the conversations so it is pretty far fetched to believe she isn't the one that "leaked" them to TMZ.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...usaolp00000592

They say country music speaks to the heart. Unfortunately, it has to go through your ears to get there.

Pro
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,638
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 45

Things are getting real messy. I see his wife now says that she should be allowed to keep the team.

Multiple lawsuits probably coming to head. If he wants to be a dick, he could argue (a) was the taping of his phone call legal?, and (b) how can a private (racist) conversation be used to take away his team. Add on top of that his wife's potential lawsuit. Even though NBA wants this to go away, this turd is going to circle the bowl for awhile.

It would be best if he was just too embarrassed to fight and go away quietly.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,794
    Given: 169

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWarning View Post
    Things are getting real messy. I see his wife now says that she should be allowed to keep the team.

Multiple lawsuits probably coming to head. If he wants to be a dick, he could argue (a) was the taping of his phone call legal?, and (b) how can a private (racist) conversation be used to take away his team. Add on top of that his wife's potential lawsuit. Even though NBA wants this to go away, this turd is going to circle the bowl for awhile.

It would be best if he was just too embarrassed to fight and go away quietly.
    That's a non-starter, at least as far as a defense to the NBA goes. Whether or not the conversation was recorded legally has zero bearing. This isn't the state trying to punish him. It's the NBA, and the NBA doesn't give a crap about whether the convo was legal. It's still out there. He still said it. And the league will claim that his words caused a black eye/loss of business/damage to the league. His ownership of an NBA franchise required that he agree to the league constitution which has wording allowing for the removal of an owner if they're a detriment to the league. The league is booting him based on that. If Sterling wants to try to sue the woman that recorded it, then he can probably do that, but the legality of the recording is not going to help him at all with the league.

Last edited by Mr Janny; 05-08-2014 at 05:34 PM.
    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 180
    Given: 56

That's a non-starter, at least as far as a defense to the NBA goes. Whether or not the conversation was recorded legally has zero bearing. This isn't the state trying to punish him. It's the NBA, and the NBA doesn't give a crap about whether the convo was legal. It's still out there. He still said it. And the league will claim that his words caused a black eye/loss of business/damage to the league. His ownership of an NBA franchise required that he agree to the league constitution which has wording allowing for the removal of an owner if they're a detriment to the league. The league is booting him based on that. If Sterling wants to try to sue the woman that recorded it, then he can probably do that, but the legality of the recording is not going to help him at all with the league.
    True. But you have to think like a racist billionaire and his platoon of lawyers...especially one as litigious as Sterling. I think if he sues for the team he's got a punchers chance. A talented lawyer is going to be able to pick apart that flimsy NBA constitution, right?

I figured all along that Silver was going to drop the hammer because A. He's new and wants to project strength and B. He didn't want a player boycott / LA riots...but I'll bet he figured Sterling would probably lawyer up anyway.

Imo, Sterling does indeed have the power to make this bad for the NBA.

Last edited by weR138; 05-08-2014 at 05:46 PM.
    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,794
    Given: 169

Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    True. But you have to think like a racist billionaire and his platoon of lawyers...especially one as litigious as Sterling. I think if he sues for the team he's got a punchers chance. A talented lawyer is going to be able to pick apart that flimsy NBA constitution, right?

I figured all along that Silver was going to drop the hammer because A. He's new and wants to project strength and B. He didn't want a player boycott / LA riots...but I'll bet he figured Sterling would probably lawyer up anyway.

What makes you think the NBA's constitution is flimsy? I agree that Sterling could draw this out, but Silver did not act without the league making sure all its legal ducks were in a row, certainly as far as it relates to the legality of the recording.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 348
    Given: 249

This is not going to be easy for the NBA. If Sterling sues the NBA for forcing him to sell (which seems likely), the NBA is going to have show that Sterling wilfully violated the NBA constitution and bylaws, and that he was delinquent as an owner. He might hold racist views, but that doesn't mean he was discriminatory in the way he operated the Clippers, or that he violated NBA bylaws. African-American players continued to work for Sterling. Doc Rivers coached for him. Elgin Baylor was his GM. Why would these people do that if Sterling operated the team in a racist manner, or if the team was poorly run?

Secondly, as has been reported, Sterling's racisim has been known for years. Why all of a sudden is the league taking action now? Why not years ago? Why did talented African American players take big contracts from the Clippers if the owner was racist, and why did African-Americans work in high-profile jobs for the Clippers (GM and coach) if the owner was racist? This is not so much of a legal issue as it is a publicity disaster for the NBA.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 05-08-2014 at 06:28 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 732
    Given: 1,497

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    This is not going to be easy for the NBA. If Sterling sues the NBA for forcing him to sell (which seems likely), the NBA is going to have show that Sterling wilfully violated the NBA constitution and bylaws, and that he was delinquent as an owner. He might hold racist views, but that doesn't mean he was discriminatory in the way he operated the Clippers, or that he violated NBA bylaws. African-American Players continued to work for Sterling. Doc Rivers coached for him. Elgin Baylor was his GM. Why would these people do that if Sterling operated the team in a racist manner, or if the team was poorly run?

Secondly, as has been reported, Sterling's racisim has been known for years. Why all of a sudden is the league taking action now? Why not years ago? Why did talented African American players take big contracts from the Clippers if the owner was racist, and why did African-Americans work in high-profile jobs for the Clippers (GM and coach) if the owner was racist? This is not so much of a legal issue as it is a publicity disaster for the NBA.
    This is mostly how I feel. The NBA showed it won't tolerate racist remarks as seen from this situation. However it will also show it tolerated racist situations for decades.

The NBA is gonna have a lot of questions to answer on past actions/non actions.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 348
    Given: 249

I agree with the above, but Silver may also genuinely believe that having Sterling as an owner is bad for the NBA, and the time is long overdue to fix that.

Agreed.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 180
    Given: 56

What makes you think the NBA's constitution is flimsy? I agree that Sterling could draw this out, but Silver did not act without the league making sure all its legal ducks were in a row, certainly as far as it relates to the legality of the recording.
    Should have put flimsy in quotes. I mean that Sterlings lawyers are the type of dudes who would love chance to try and shred the nba constitution.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.