Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46
  1. #31
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 108,995, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,527
    Points
    108,995
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 674
    Given: 0

    Re: Jared Terell asks for release of LOI at OSU

    Quote Originally Posted by CyKings View Post
    No... no it is not. Some schools try to block you from going to a conference school, but it brings them negative publicity and generally they stopped doing that (see wiscy with uthoff). But no you do not have to sit out 2 years, I know the NCAA has dumb rules, but that would be a really dumb rule even for them.
    Pretty sure that it's a rule in most conferences unless the school in which the player departs from waves it, but that never really happens. Only reason Uthoff didn't have to sit two full years was because he supposedly walked on to the Iowa program with no assurances of receiving a scholarship after leaving Wisconsin. Kansas in recent years had a WR that transferred in from Oklahoma that was tabbed to sit out two years, I know they tried to fight it but I'm not 100% sure how that turned out.



  2. #32
    Pro
    Points: 42,211, Level: 63
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 739
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    NorthCyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,745
    Points
    42,211
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,209
    Given: 120

    Re: Jared Terell asks for release of LOI at OSU

    Quote Originally Posted by CYphyllis View Post
    Pretty sure that it's a rule in most conferences unless the school in which the player departs from waves it, but that never really happens. Only reason Uthoff didn't have to sit two full years was because he supposedly walked on to the Iowa program with no assurances of receiving a scholarship after leaving Wisconsin. Kansas in recent years had a WR that transferred in from Oklahoma that was tabbed to sit out two years, I know they tried to fight it but I'm not 100% sure how that turned out.
    The question I have is do those rules only apply to enrolled students. He's not transferring, just being released from an LOI. Totally different situation from Uthoff.



  3. #33
    Legend
    Points: 196,374, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    13,137
    Points
    196,374
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 316
    Given: 1,107

    Re: Jared Terell asks for release of LOI at OSU

    Quote Originally Posted by CarlHungus View Post
    I predict Travis Ford will not be employed at OSU within 2 years
    How long ago was it people were saying the same about Baylor's coach?




    "Cyclones on the run!"

    -John Walters


  4. #34
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 108,995, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,527
    Points
    108,995
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 674
    Given: 0

    Re: Jared Terell asks for release of LOI at OSU

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCyd View Post
    The question I have is do those rules only apply to enrolled students. He's not transferring, just being released from an LOI. Totally different situation from Uthoff.
    Being that he signed an LOI they could potentially block conference schools as part of the release agreement I believe.



  5. #35
    Rookie
    Points: 5,919, Level: 22
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    CyKings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Kansas City, KS
    Posts
    409
    Points
    5,919
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 158

    Re: Jared Terell asks for release of LOI at OSU

    Quote Originally Posted by CYphyllis View Post
    Pretty sure that it's a rule in most conferences unless the school in which the player departs from waves it, but that never really happens. Only reason Uthoff didn't have to sit two full years was because he supposedly walked on to the Iowa program with no assurances of receiving a scholarship after leaving Wisconsin. Kansas in recent years had a WR that transferred in from Oklahoma that was tabbed to sit out two years, I know they tried to fight it but I'm not 100% sure how that turned out.
    I still think it's a case by case basis and not a "rule" per-se. Maybe a rule-of-thumb. I think it says a lot about a school/coach and how he treats his players. Wisconsin got some negative PR for how they handled the whole Uthoff situation period.

    Regardless I think the NCAA needs to somehow come up with a uniform set of rules, that can be enforced better. But who doesn't think that these days.


    Let's make this Happen!

  6. #36
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 83,392, Level: 89
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Die4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,693
    Points
    83,392
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 912
    Given: 919

    Re: Jared Terell asks for release of LOI at OSU

    I think the thing with Grandstaff is that his pops is pretty hands on. Maybe that's a dynamic Fred would just as soon not introduce to the locker room.


    Creator of "Niang-ing."

  7. #37
    Speechless
    Points: 218,535, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LA LA Land
    Posts
    17,624
    Points
    218,535
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,490
    Given: 2,319

    Re: Jared Terell asks for release of LOI at OSU

    I think we saw this year that Barnes is a better coach than many give him credit for. Webber is not as bad a recruiter as people hammered him for, and even Drew can coach a little…but I think we want Ford coaching the talent OK State's cash brings in for as long as possible.



  8. #38
    Pro
    Points: 42,211, Level: 63
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 739
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    NorthCyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,745
    Points
    42,211
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,209
    Given: 120

    Re: Jared Terell asks for release of LOI at OSU

    Quote Originally Posted by CyKings View Post
    I still think it's a case by case basis and not a "rule" per-se. Maybe a rule-of-thumb. I think it says a lot about a school/coach and how he treats his players. Wisconsin got some negative PR for how they handled the whole Uthoff situation period.

    Regardless I think the NCAA needs to somehow come up with a uniform set of rules, that can be enforced better. But who doesn't think that these days.
    From the Big XII rules:

    6.3 Intraconference Transfers. The eligibility of a student-athlete who transfers directly
    or indirectly from one Conference Member Institution to another shall be determined
    by NCAA regulations and the following Conference requirements. In the event NCAA 28
    regulations require the student-athlete to complete one full academic year in residence
    before being eligible to compete in a sport, the student-athlete shall also forfeit one
    season of competition in that sport. The waiver of a NCAA transfer regulation for a
    student-athlete does not negate the need for a waiver of this section.


    6.3.1 4-2-4 Transfers. A 4-2-4 transfer student-athlete who is in compliance with
    NCAA Bylaw 14.5.6 must complete one full academic year in residence before
    being eligible to compete in a sport and forfeit one season of competition
    unless, in sports other than football or basketball, the director of athletics
    of the Conference Member Institution of initial enrollment consents in
    writing to the student-athlete’s enrollment at the second Conference Member
    Institution. Any consent given relating to the indirect intraconference transfer
    may be unconditional or conditioned on the student-athlete completing one
    full academic year in residence at the second conference Member Institution
    before competing.


    Pretty sure when they say forfiet a year of eligability they aren't talking about a red shirt year, they are saying you lose one of your four years of eligability. The big Ten adopted this rule a few years back as seen in this article about the Uthoff situation here. They don't want students going to other conference schools where they can provide knowledge to a competitor. However, I don't think these would apply to a recruit who's signed an LOI. It is probably based entirely on the agreement between the school and the recruit.



  9. #39
    Rookie
    Points: 5,919, Level: 22
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    CyKings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Kansas City, KS
    Posts
    409
    Points
    5,919
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 158

    Re: Jared Terell asks for release of LOI at OSU

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCyd View Post
    From the Big XII rules:

    6.3 Intraconference Transfers. The eligibility of a student-athlete who transfers directly
    or indirectly from one Conference Member Institution to another shall be determined
    by NCAA regulations and the following Conference requirements. In the event NCAA 28
    regulations require the student-athlete to complete one full academic year in residence
    before being eligible to compete in a sport, the student-athlete shall also forfeit one
    season of competition in that sport. The waiver of a NCAA transfer regulation for a
    student-athlete does not negate the need for a waiver of this section.


    6.3.1 4-2-4 Transfers. A 4-2-4 transfer student-athlete who is in compliance with
    NCAA Bylaw 14.5.6 must complete one full academic year in residence before
    being eligible to compete in a sport and forfeit one season of competition
    unless, in sports other than football or basketball, the director of athletics
    of the Conference Member Institution of initial enrollment consents in
    writing to the student-athlete’s enrollment at the second Conference Member
    Institution. Any consent given relating to the indirect intraconference transfer
    may be unconditional or conditioned on the student-athlete completing one
    full academic year in residence at the second conference Member Institution
    before competing.


    Pretty sure when they say forfiet a year of eligability they aren't talking about a red shirt year, they are saying you lose one of your four years of eligability. The big Ten adopted this rule a few years back as seen in this article about the Uthoff situation here. They don't want students going to other conference schools where they can provide knowledge to a competitor. However, I don't think these would apply to a recruit who's signed an LOI. It is probably based entirely on the agreement between the school and the recruit.
    Fair enough I guess it is a rule, but I read it more like you still only sit out 1 year, but you lose that year of eligibility, instead of "redshirting" and still maintaining that year of eligibility. For example with say Nader's transfer, he sat a year, and has 2 years of eligibility left... if he had transferred from another big 12 school, it would be sit 1 year, for 1 year of eligibility left.

    At least that's how I interpret it. I don't think they make them sit for 2 years, because that would be way too big of a risk for a team to take on, and hope they are still good 2 years from now, without having played a minute.


    Let's make this Happen!

  10. #40
    Rookie
    Points: 7,600, Level: 26
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 550
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Newhall
    Posts
    377
    Points
    7,600
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 73

    Re: Jared Terell asks for release of LOI at OSU

    I've never heard of a player sitting 2 years. The way the rule reads to me is that is that you lose the year of eligibility that you sit. If you've already burned your r.s. year they won't grant you a 6th year to play your 4. I think the way the Uthoff deal went down is pretty standard when transferring in conference in that he had to pay his own way the year he sat out.



  11. #41
    Pro
    Points: 42,211, Level: 63
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 739
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    NorthCyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,745
    Points
    42,211
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,209
    Given: 120

    Re: Jared Terell asks for release of LOI at OSU

    Quote Originally Posted by CyKings View Post
    Fair enough I guess it is a rule, but I read it more like you still only sit out 1 year, but you lose that year of eligibility, instead of "redshirting" and still maintaining that year of eligibility. For example with say Nader's transfer, he sat a year, and has 2 years of eligibility left... if he had transferred from another big 12 school, it would be sit 1 year, for 1 year of eligibility left.

    At least that's how I interpret it. I don't think they make them sit for 2 years, because that would be way too big of a risk for a team to take on, and hope they are still good 2 years from now, without having played a minute.
    I guess I wasn't very clear. I didn't mean they have to sit 2 years. Just that the one year they sit can't be a redshirt year and has to count against their 4 years of eligibility, as you say with the Nader hypothetical.



  12. #42
    Speechless
    Points: 786,301, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    53,672
    Points
    786,301
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,401
    Given: 2,423

    Re: Jared Terell asks for release of LOI at OSU

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    How long ago was it people were saying the same about Baylor's coach?
    Scott Drew (8-4) vs. Travis Ford (1-5) in the NCAA tournament is not even comparable.



  13. #43
    Addict
    Points: 80,012, Level: 87
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    erikbj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    hiawatha, ia
    Posts
    6,413
    Points
    80,012
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 666
    Given: 195

    Re: Jared Terell asks for release of LOI at OSU

    With the length of this Terrell thread, I assume he is now committed to the Clones?



  14. #44
    Speechless
    Points: 310,957, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    17,797
    Points
    310,957
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,739
    Given: 7,345

    Re: Jared Terell asks for release of LOI at OSU

    Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    I think we saw this year that Barnes is a better coach than many give him credit for. Webber is not as bad a recruiter as people hammered him for, and even Drew can coach a little…but I think we want Ford coaching the talent OK State's cash brings in for as long as possible.
    Probably a better coach than many give him credit, however taking a talented team (last year) and turning them into a dumpster fire, doesn't warrant coach of the year the following year when the team plays up to their talent level.


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  15. #45
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 128,803, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,550
    Points
    128,803
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 722
    Given: 670

    Re: Jared Terell asks for release of LOI at OSU

    Quote Originally Posted by 19210 View Post
    Isn't it a conference rule that you have to sit for two years?
    No

    Quote Originally Posted by CYphyllis View Post
    Pretty sure that it's a rule in most conferences unless the school in which the player departs from waves it, but that never really happens.
    No

    Quote Originally Posted by CyKings View Post
    Fair enough I guess it is a rule, but I read it more like you still only sit out 1 year, but you lose that year of eligibility, instead of "redshirting" and still maintaining that year of eligibility.
    Correct. You sit out a year but also lose that year of eligibility. You do NOT sit out two years. Ever.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM