Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 48

Re: Hallice Cooke

Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    I'm not, the man knows who he wants, "major failure" ain't happening.
    Well lets be realistic.....its bound to happen. Kids are kids. Still wont mean its not a great way to replenish and bolster a roster if we are not going to get 5 star talent.

Until something happens im not worried about it....even when it does.....the benefits are far outweighing the risks.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 383

Quote Originally Posted by mattyice View Post
    Well lets be realistic.....its bound to happen. Kids are kids. Still wont mean its not a great way to replenish and bolster a roster if we are not going to get 5 star talent.

Until something happens im not worried about it....even when it does.....the benefits are far outweighing the risks.
    Major failure could happen, but it won't be a failure of not having the talent to fill the needed role. We are basically doing no speculation in our recruiting right now. The staff is wise to think a roster spot not contributing due to a redshirt (or vacant) is better than because your speculation was wrong.

All-Star
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 28

Quote Originally Posted by CyKings View Post
    Bluford was a bomb as far as transfers go. People thought he was going to fill that Naz/McGee role. It happens all the time, you just don't hear about it, because Fred gets the best players possible put out on the court. Why do you think he only went with a main line-up of 7 guys last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by fsanford View Post
    Bluford, was a JC, but a lower level JC that really did not have much of an offer list. That was a big reach/risk by Fred, and just did not pan out.

Also the number of transfers overall in college hoops kind of tells you that incoming freshmen are pretty much a crap shoot, unless they are top 25.
    Did anyone really think Bluford was going to fill the McGee role? Hoped maybe, but he was an unheralded late signee. He was picked up as insurance by Fred. When he committed we only had freshman and a sophomore (who sparingly played as a freshman) as our guards. I wouldn't really count that as a reach by the staff, though it's true he obviously didn't pan out.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 415
    Given: 299

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclones01 View Post
    We've heard every year about how he is dominating in the offseason?

I have not once heard that about him, ever. I've heard has a lot of potential, but never that he is "dominating"
    He has speed. He has jumping ability. He is athletic. He just needs upper body strength. Expect him to gain some more weight and show more power.

Side comment on clones:

One thing that differentiates good teams from bad (ah hem finish of iowa vs Clones) is tenacity at end of the game. The refusal to quit. The sticktoitness to finish at the rim. The acceptance to live at the foul line. Willing to sell out around the rim.

We have had some tough broncos at times for various periods of time.

DG's last year. He kept working and kept getting better. Relentlessly drove the rim at behest of Fred.
    Dendy. Pogo stick. Left too soon.
    Godfrey. Tough although undersized. Too little did we have him.
    RW. Always wanting to show what he could do. Never backed down.
    Melvin. Wow, talk about not being denied around the rim this year. Must win mentality.
    Kane. Looked like WWE when he drove the lane. Laying on the floor more than anyone else after a drive.
    Hogue. Lots of effort and more to come this year.

Who might become our big nasties in the future?
    BDJ?
    Nader?
    McKay?
    Naz or SDW?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 684
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 76

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCyclones2015 View Post
    Am I the only one around here that is expecting a major failure from a transfer coming up? I don't know who it is but we haven't had one since that one big guy in 2011-2012 from Illinois State or whatever. I can't even remember his name
    It has already happened, Maurice Jones PG USC. He never got his acedemics in order after getting to ISU. I think the staff's original plan was to have him start for Monte until he was ready to play PG in the Big 12. Of course this eventually led to Fred going after and landing Kane as the experience PG to fill that role.
    IMO There is no reason to "expect" a transfer not to work out but, if it happens Fred has a plan and looking at the roster for the next couple of years he has options.

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,119
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 766
    Given: 348

JuCo guys are not transfers. When you think transfer do you think Royce and DeAndre or McGee and Hogue? Bluford was not a transfer. I'd say overall we have been very successful with zero failures with the transfers we have brought in.

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 675
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 0

Of course I would still want Anderson and Cooke, or two other worthy transfers, yet is anyone else just a tiny bit concerned that leaves us only 10 scholarship players for the early season with McKay out til December? Only 9 until Nader is off suspension. Sure we've played before with only 6 or 7, but that leaves us only Niang, Hogue, and Edozie for front court players. Heaven forbid any other suspensions, injuries, or foul trouble. Obviously Monte, Matt, Naz, BDJ, Custer, and SDW keeps us dandy in the guard/small forward positions. Wouldn't we have to try to pull out some games with a 4-guard lineup? I know we should want Andersen for 2015, but guess I'm only thinking about next year and wishing we had some front court help for now. Fans will need to be patient and realistically optimistic until we get Nader and McKay playing. Sure hope they can improve Edozie's skill level some, as we know the rebounding and effort will be fine. Oh..for a contributing walk-on 'big'. Doubt any are just walking around out there.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by LLCoolJansma View Post
    It has already happened, Maurice Jones PG USC. He never got his acedemics in order after getting to ISU. I think the staff's original plan was to have him start for Monte until he was ready to play PG in the Big 12. Of course this eventually led to Fred going after and landing Kane as the experience PG to fill that role.
    IMO There is no reason to "expect" a transfer not to work out but, if it happens Fred has a plan and looking at the roster for the next couple of years he has options.
    And the ironic thing now is BDJ is here.....and was at USC at the same time as Maurice, before he transferred to UNLV.

-Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 464
    Given: 412

Quote Originally Posted by allfourcy View Post
    Of course I would still want Anderson and Cooke, or two other worthy transfers, yet is anyone else just a tiny bit concerned that leaves us only 10 scholarship players for the early season with McKay out til December? Only 9 until Nader is off suspension. Sure we've played before with only 6 or 7, but that leaves us only Niang, Hogue, and Edozie for front court players. Heaven forbid any other suspensions, injuries, or foul trouble. Obviously Monte, Matt, Naz, BDJ, Custer, and SDW keeps us dandy in the guard/small forward positions. Wouldn't we have to try to pull out some games with a 4-guard lineup? I know we should want Andersen for 2015, but guess I'm only thinking about next year and wishing we had some front court help for now. Fans will need to be patient and realistically optimistic until we get Nader and McKay playing. Sure hope they can improve Edozie's skill level some, as we know the rebounding and effort will be fine. Oh..for a contributing walk-on 'big'. Doubt any are just walking around out there.
    It may cost a game or 2, depending on the schedule, but I'm not concerned. We will be in beast mode by the end of the year and the committee will know that we were minus some players if there are any losses.

Addict
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 98

I'm not concerned by any of that, Fred's got this.

Rookie
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 295
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    AT sucked a basketball. SDW may not be able to get a lot of run at ISU but he doesn't suck.
    Someone that makes money overseas playing professionally sucks at basketball? I'm guessing you've got NBA on your résumé then?

Last edited by Illiniclone; 04-25-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 754
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by LLCoolJansma View Post

Kind of hard to get you academics in order when you aren't attending school. This kid was given bad advice and is being screwed by the NCAA. ISU let him start practicing with the team before he was cleared to attend school and the NCAA considered that a transfer which is BS.

Jones, 21, went to class for three days at Southern Cal in the fall of 2012 before finding out he was academically ineligible. He then transferred to Iowa State, but the NCAA ruled that he was not eligible there either.
    "When I found out I didn't have a scholarship, I transferred from Southern Cal, but then I couldn't get a scholarship at Iowa State either," Jones said. "I didn't even go to school last year.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/saginaw/...to_resume.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo_BW-r6DSc

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 464
    Given: 412

Quote Originally Posted by Illiniclone View Post
    Someone that makes money overseas playing professionally sucks at basketball? I'm guessing you've got NBA on your résumé then?
    It's all relative. Please use your brain.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,129
    Given: 593

Cooke just tweeted at Naz #creeping

Legend
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 383

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Cooke just tweeted at Naz #creeping
    Good news, but who wouldn't befriend a guy like Naz?