Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 131
  1. #91
    Pro
    Points: 42,271, Level: 63
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    IAStubborn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,910
    Points
    42,271
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 256
    Given: 95

    Re: Repealing the Drinking Age?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    Most are 21, some are 18.
    18 by law. 21 just because alcohol is served and they don't want to card twice.



  2. #92
    Pro
    Points: 68,182, Level: 81
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,568
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    timappelgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Posts
    2,291
    Points
    68,182
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 3

    Re: Repealing the Drinking Age?

    A 20 year old man can earn the medal of honor and help defend our freedom, but not come home and enjoy a Miller in a bar. Not right.


    R.I.P "Gibbons" 4/3/2012
    R.I.P RollsRoyce 4/12/2012

  3. #93
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 46,263, Level: 66
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,629
    Points
    46,263
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 351
    Given: 173

    Re: Repealing the Drinking Age?

    Quote Originally Posted by timappelgate View Post
    A 20 year old man can earn the medal of honor and help defend our freedom, but not come home and enjoy a Miller in a bar. Not right.


    These guys can't ever enjoy a Miller in a bar. They also can't swear in public.



  4. #94
    Addict
    Points: 327,511, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    8,890
    Points
    327,511
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,685
    Given: 423

    Re: Repealing the Drinking Age?

    Quote Originally Posted by timappelgate View Post
    A 20 year old man can earn the medal of honor and help defend our freedom, but not come home and enjoy a Miller in a bar. Not right.

    No one can enjoy a Miller in a bar...there's no such thing as a Miller.

    Miller Lite, MGD, Miller 64, Miller High Life, Miller Chill, Miller Fortune....but no Miller.



  5. #95
    Starter
    Points: 20,348, Level: 43
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    895
    Points
    20,348
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 0

    Re: Repealing the Drinking Age?

    Quote Originally Posted by IAStubborn View Post
    18 by law. 21 just because alcohol is served and they don't want to card twice.
    In Iowa I'm pretty sure it is 21 by law. You can't even buy a lottery ticket unless you are 21 can you? Places like Meskwaki are 18 because they don't fall under Iowa law.

    Back on topic. I'm OK with lowering the drinking age but I also think this country could benefit from an alcohol culture change. Too many people do things while drinking instead of drinking while doing things - if that makes any sense. In other words the drinking is the primary activity and the other things are secondary.



  6. #96
    Rookie
    Points: 7,749, Level: 26
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    ILiftWithRoyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    573
    Points
    7,749
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 20

    Re: Repealing the Drinking Age?

    We love cold beer, we love America, and say it with me WE LOVE THE CYCLONES now everybody sit back and enjoy your cyclones jukebox pick of the game


    I AM SO FOOTBALL TO BE YOUR PROUD COACH

  7. #97
    All-Star
    Points: 29,089, Level: 52
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    coolerifyoudid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    your kitchen. Beer's gone
    Posts
    1,496
    Points
    29,089
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 710
    Given: 656

    Re: Repealing the Drinking Age?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricochet View Post
    In Iowa I'm pretty sure it is 21 by law. You can't even buy a lottery ticket unless you are 21 can you? Places like Meskwaki are 18 because they don't fall under Iowa law.

    Back on topic. I'm OK with lowering the drinking age but I also think this country could benefit from an alcohol culture change. Too many people do things while drinking instead of drinking while doing things - if that makes any sense. In other words the drinking is the primary activity and the other things are secondary.
    Interesting point in that last line, however the abuse of alcohol isn't co-dependent on level of activity. As a high schooler with nothing else to do, I certainly abused alcohol much more due to the lack of anything better to do. After that, I probably drank more at sporting events than just hanging out with a few friends. Maturity plays a big role.

    But I've always been a social drinker. The whole drinking to get drunk thing was never really a goal of mine, even if that was the end result!



  8. #98
    Starter
    Points: 7,800, Level: 26
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 350
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience Points3 months registered

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    610
    Points
    7,800
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 236
    Given: 527

    Re: Repealing the Drinking Age?

    While we're at it, lets make fireworks legal already!!!!!!



  9. #99
    Speechless
    Points: 485,061, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,111
    Points
    485,061
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 112

    Re: Repealing the Drinking Age?

    jbhtexas and CycloneErik are both non-drinkers who would probably prefer that there not be alcohol at all. That's not something that's going to happen since alcohol has been around as long as civilization, and whether they like it or not, many people have enriched their life with it. You can have a good life without it, but that doesn't mean that the government should force that on you.

    We aren't debating whether alcohol should exist or not; we're debating whether or not the 21 year old drinking age is a good thing for this country. Most people seem to think it isn't. The rest of the civilized world agrees.


    Last edited by Al_4_State; 04-24-2014 at 12:54 AM.
    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  10. #100
    Addict
    Points: 240,162, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    klamath632's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,934
    Points
    240,162
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 459
    Given: 335

    Re: Repealing the Drinking Age?

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Everyone says "19 to keep it out of schools".

    Want it out of schools? Make it illegal to possess on school grounds.
    Better yet, don't keep it off school grounds. Arm every teacher with alcohol. Keeping it out of the hands of the good guys just makes it that much easier for the bad guys to win.



  11. #101
    Addict
    Points: 240,162, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    klamath632's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,934
    Points
    240,162
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 459
    Given: 335

    Re: Repealing the Drinking Age?

    Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    No one can enjoy a Miller in a bar...there's no such thing as a Miller.

    Miller Lite, MGD, Miller 64, Miller High Life, Miller Chill, Miller Fortune....but no Miller.
    Agree with the bolded. Because none of those Millers listed are enjoyable.



  12. #102
    Speechless
    Points: 485,061, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,111
    Points
    485,061
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 112

    Re: Repealing the Drinking Age?

    Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    Better yet, don't keep it off school grounds. Arm every teacher with alcohol. Keeping it out of the hands of the good guys just makes it that much easier for the bad guys to win.
    You can pry my 6 pack out of my cold, dead hands...


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  13. #103
    All-Star
    Points: 16,044, Level: 38
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    jkclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    1,063
    Points
    16,044
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 303

    Re: Repealing the Drinking Age?

    I honestly don't get how someone can actually support the drinking age being higher than 19. I'd like it at 18 but I understand why people want it at 19. 21 not so much.



  14. #104
    Speechless
    Points: 270,078, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,495
    Points
    270,078
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 28

    Re: Repealing the Drinking Age?

    Ehhh. It's fine where it is at 21. I could maybe get on board with 19, but there are more important things to worry about.



  15. #105
    Speechless
    Points: 864,040, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,815
    Points
    864,040
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,775
    Given: 1,496

    Re: Repealing the Drinking Age?

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    jbhtexas and CycloneErik are both non-drinkers who would probably prefer that there not be alcohol at all. That's not something that's going to happen since alcohol has been around as long as civilization, and whether they like it or not, many people have enriched their life with it. You can have a good life without it, but that doesn't mean that the government should force that on you.

    We aren't debating whether alcohol should exist or not; we're debating whether or not the 21 year old drinking age is a good thing for this country. Most people seem to think it isn't. The rest of the civilized world agrees.
    Who mentioned the government?


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM