Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 150
  1. #16
    Addict
    Points: 160,198, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,470
    Points
    160,198
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 639
    Given: 167

    Re: Torrent Brewing Company

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    Am I the only one over the microbrew craze?
    No. I didn't have anything against micro brews until I went to my local supermarket liquor dept and couldn't find my Konig Ludwig Weissbier. It (and a bunch of other German and Belgian beer) was gone...GONE. They'd been replaced with a buncha **** from Oregon or Colorado or some dooshy hippie place.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  2. #17
    Legend
    Points: 163,965, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    13,179
    Points
    163,965
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,635
    Given: 1,499

    Re: Torrent Brewing Company

    Hope they have a good business plan. The combination of a brewery and restaurant seems like a good business concept for Old Main. Torrent is starting as a true tap house, having food vendors rotate in. Hope there is enough money in that for them.



  3. #18
    Pro
    Points: 29,188, Level: 52
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cyclone87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    2,052
    Points
    29,188
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 193

    Re: Torrent Brewing Company

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Hope they have a good business plan. The combination of a brewery and restaurant seems like a good business concept for Old Main. Torrent is starting as a true tap house, having food vendors rotate in. Hope there is enough money in that for them.
    Probably depends on how good their product is, if their beer is really good I would think they will have no problem drawing enough people in. Also wonder if they will distribute to retailers?



  4. #19
    Legend
    Points: 185,136, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    theantiAIRBHG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hiawatha, IA
    Posts
    10,629
    Points
    185,136
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,150
    Given: 1,399

    Re: Torrent Brewing Company

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone87 View Post
    Probably depends on how good their product is, if their beer is really good I would think they will have no problem drawing enough people in. Also wonder if they will distribute to retailers?
    I think you almost have to distribute to retailers anymore, right? Even if in low volume. Something is better than nothing.



  5. #20
    Pro
    Points: 29,188, Level: 52
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cyclone87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    2,052
    Points
    29,188
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 193

    Re: Torrent Brewing Company

    Quote Originally Posted by theantiAIRBHG View Post
    I think you almost have to distribute to retailers anymore, right? Even if in low volume. Something is better than nothing.
    I would think so too, just wondering if anyone knew anything.



  6. #21
    Legend
    Points: 185,136, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    theantiAIRBHG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hiawatha, IA
    Posts
    10,629
    Points
    185,136
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,150
    Given: 1,399

    Re: Torrent Brewing Company

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone87 View Post
    I would think so too, just wondering if anyone knew anything.
    I know I would like to try their beer. To bad I gotta come to Riot Town to get it.



  7. #22
    Legend
    Points: 175,298, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    mtowncyclone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    mtown
    Posts
    12,579
    Points
    175,298
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,505
    Given: 2,511

    Re: Torrent Brewing Company

    Quote Originally Posted by theantiAIRBHG View Post
    It's cool man, someone needs to drink up the Bud Light..
    i don't drink bud light. my point was it seems everyone and their brother now has a microbrewery and like someone said, there are a lot of crappy brews out there. i'm not much of a beer guy (more into whiskies) but while I appreciate a good craft brew it appears to me the scale may be tipping soon back to the bad places closing and the good ones consolidating.


    2015 CF Avatar of the Year winner.

  8. #23
    Pro
    Points: 29,188, Level: 52
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cyclone87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    2,052
    Points
    29,188
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 193

    Re: Torrent Brewing Company

    Quote Originally Posted by theantiAIRBHG View Post
    I know I would like to try their beer. To bad I gotta come to Riot Town to get it.



  9. #24
    Speechless
    Points: 414,082, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    18,910
    Points
    414,082
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,743
    Given: 1,826

    Re: Torrent Brewing Company

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    Am I the only one over the microbrew craze?
    ....depends on how you define that...

    Am I over turning my nose up at a well brewed light lager? Yes (Sorry Chris, Busch Light still don't qualify here)
    Am I over regularly sampling something different when I see it? No
    Am I over paying close to $10 a six pack when I know the material inputs and brewing process don't warrant that price (simple, normal beers): Yes
    Am I over good beer: No





  10. #25
    Speechless
    Points: 491,798, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    20,231
    Points
    491,798
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,565
    Given: 330

    Re: Torrent Brewing Company

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    i don't drink bud light. my point was it seems everyone and their brother now has a microbrewery and like someone said, there are a lot of crappy brews out there. i'm not much of a beer guy (more into whiskies) but while I appreciate a good craft brew it appears to me the scale may be tipping soon back to the bad places closing and the good ones consolidating.
    The bad ones will close. The good ones will be just fine. A lot of them make my money by being fun places to go and drink, even if the beer is less than great (so long as its good).


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  11. #26
    Legend
    Points: 175,298, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    mtowncyclone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    mtown
    Posts
    12,579
    Points
    175,298
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,505
    Given: 2,511

    Re: Torrent Brewing Company

    Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    Am I over turning my nose up at a well brewed light lager? Yes (Sorry Chris, Busch Light still don't qualify here)
    Am I over regularly sampling something different when I see it? No
    Am I over paying close to $10 a six pack when I know the material inputs and brewing process don't warrant that price (simple, normal beers): Yes
    Am I over good beer: No
    perfect rationale. The local microbrewery here has $6 pints. The manufacturing process at that level won't allow for cost-saving production methods but at that price I'd rather have a glass of 12 year old bourbon.


    2015 CF Avatar of the Year winner.

  12. #27
    Speechless
    Points: 414,082, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    18,910
    Points
    414,082
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,743
    Given: 1,826

    Re: Torrent Brewing Company

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    i don't drink bud light. my point was it seems everyone and their brother now has a microbrewery and like someone said, there are a lot of crappy brews out there. i'm not much of a beer guy (more into whiskies) but while I appreciate a good craft brew it appears to me the scale may be tipping soon back to the bad places closing and the good ones consolidating.

    Hey, kinda ties into my other post...yeah...I agree. I was recently in Arizona and went to a brewpub. When I can taste and identify the off flavors because they are so bad...that's not good.





  13. #28
    Speechless
    Points: 491,798, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    20,231
    Points
    491,798
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,565
    Given: 330

    Re: Torrent Brewing Company

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    perfect rationale. The local microbrewery here has $6 pints. The manufacturing process at that level won't allow for cost-saving production methods but at that price I'd rather have a glass of 12 year old bourbon.
    That's not a competitive price. My local brewery, which is without question the most heralded brewery in Iowa (Toppling Goliath) sells pints for $4.25.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  14. #29
    Addict
    Points: 136,167, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ianoconnor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    8,315
    Points
    136,167
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,278
    Given: 2,804

    Re: Torrent Brewing Company

    One of the guys behind it posts here & also runs Arrowhead Hops. Username is clonebydesign. Good dude. I've bought hop rhizomes from him.



  15. #30
    Legend
    Points: 175,298, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    mtowncyclone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    mtown
    Posts
    12,579
    Points
    175,298
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,505
    Given: 2,511

    Re: Torrent Brewing Company

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    That's not a competitive price. My local brewery, which is without question the most heralded brewery in Iowa (Toppling Goliath) sells pints for $4.25.
    does TG charge different prices based on different ingredients?


    2015 CF Avatar of the Year winner.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM