Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 87
  1. #31
    All-Star
    Points: 19,384, Level: 42
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 466
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,653
    Points
    19,384
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 934
    Given: 455

    Re: Meb Keflezighi... Never been so ****** an Ken Miller!

    Quote Originally Posted by nfrine View Post
    Doesn't sound like you have a lot of company in the Ken Miller Fan Club....
    I like Ken most of the time too. He's the best thing that DSM sports radio has had over it's lifetime.

    Not that it's an illustrious list. But he's better than Brinson, anyone was better than Giggles, Tirrell - ha!. Go all the way back to Bob Dyer.

    Actually - Ken gets shafted with some pretty terrible co-hosts. He's also not really good enough to carry his own show either.



  2. #32
    All-Star
    Points: 37,980, Level: 60
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,070
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,085
    Points
    37,980
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 309
    Given: 179

    Re: Meb Keflezighi... Never been so ****** an Ken Miller!

    Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    The quickening?
    I just assume that picture is what it looks like when someone passes the citizenship test... I mean they have to get the same 'Merican powers the rest of us are born with right?



  3. #33
    Addict
    Points: 143,981, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    8,002
    Points
    143,981
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 294

    Re: Meb Keflezighi... Never been so ****** an Ken Miller!

    Quote Originally Posted by RubyClone View Post
    I listened to Ken's little rant yesterday on the subject, and I think he kinda had a point. But a poorly made one. I got to thinking about these Olympians who jump countries because it would seem they couldn't make he team in their own. There is a bit of nationality obscurity in international sports nowadays. But this isn't one of those cases.

    I can't think of a good example internationally - so I'll play the state game. My wife was born in Miami, but moved back to Iowa before she was 1, and lived here her entire life since. Now by Miller's logic - she's Floridian, not Iowan. My brother was born and lived in Iowa til he was in his early 20's, Illinois til his early 30's, and the past 5 or so in California? Iowan?

    It's a fuzzy line. But this guy's been here the majority of his life and would appear to be proud to be an American. Good for him.
    I am really not sure what Ken's point was/is, just as I am not exactly sure what your point is.

    I don't care what the circumstances are so long as they are properly US Citizens the facts are immaterial. I am third generation "off the boat" what does it matter? If the US is anything it is a melting pot of people seeking opportunity. The simple fact that opportunity is better here in the US is exactly why our country remains robust. Representing our country after being born elsewhere is a shining example of what is right about the experiment that is our country.


    As far as depth goes though, the combination of White, Woodbury, Olaseni, Basabe, and Uthoff is much better than Niang, Ejim, Edozie, Gibson. Not because of the top 2, but because of the next 2 or 3. -DeanVogs

  4. #34
    All-Star
    Points: 19,384, Level: 42
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 466
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,653
    Points
    19,384
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 934
    Given: 455

    Re: Meb Keflezighi... Never been so ****** an Ken Miller!

    Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    I am really not sure what Ken's point was/is, just as I am not exactly sure what your point is.

    I don't care what the circumstances are so long as they are properly US Citizens the facts are immaterial. I am third generation "off the boat" what does it matter? If the US is anything it is a melting pot of people seeking opportunity. The simple fact that opportunity is better here in the US is exactly why our country remains robust. Representing our country after being born elsewhere is a shining example of what is right about the experiment that is our country.
    I don't really agree with what Ken seemed to be suggesting - that if you aren't born in a country, you aren't a "true" citizen of that county. But I think there was a bit of a larger question of representing a country, only because that country provided an opportunity to compete.

    The example I was thinking of was an older gymnast in the last summer games. She didn't make the (Romanian?) team, so it appeared as though she emigrated to Poland or some such place to make the team there. So I guess potentially one would say she was Polish - for perhaps a year or two. And was Romanian the other 28 or whatever it was. I'm not sure what the rules were, but aren't there basketball players who seem to show up on odd international teams?

    I guess the point being - becoming a citizen of a country for a reason aside from wanting to truly be a citizen, but rather a "professional" reason.

    Again - it's clear that this runner isn't in that case.

    The state portion was an attempt to show that citizenship or even "where you're from" , is a bit more than simply where your birth certificate says you were born - an assertation he tried making again and again.



  5. #35
    Addict
    Points: 189,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottumwa
    Posts
    9,934
    Points
    189,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 815
    Given: 96

    Re: Meb Keflezighi... Never been so ****** an Ken Miller!

    Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    I am really not sure what Ken's point was/is, just as I am not exactly sure what your point is.

    I don't care what the circumstances are so long as they are properly US Citizens the facts are immaterial. I am third generation "off the boat" what does it matter? If the US is anything it is a melting pot of people seeking opportunity. The simple fact that opportunity is better here in the US is exactly why our country remains robust. Representing our country after being born elsewhere is a shining example of what is right about the experiment that is our country.
    If it was a Viktor Ahn situation, I could understand his point.

    Even as it is, I can understand the point a little bit. Africans generally win the Boston Marathon and it's generally a surprise when they don't so the fact that he's literally an African American should be noted. Where he went wrong was to imply that he was somehow less American than you or I.



  6. #36
    Addict
    Points: 80,984, Level: 88
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 966
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Erik4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    7,272
    Points
    80,984
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 268
    Given: 183

    Re: Meb Keflezighi... Never been so ****** an Ken Miller!

    Our president isn't American so......


    ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

    HOI-BALL!!!

  7. #37
    Addict
    Points: 100,730, Level: 98
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,237
    Points
    100,730
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 493
    Given: 29

    Re: Meb Keflezighi... Never been so ****** an Ken Miller!

    I heard this discussion and I'm not entirely sure of the point Ken was trying to get at. But I kind of wondered if he was basically saying that the US shouldn't take credit for this guy. Not that he isn't a true American.

    All of that being said, I just don't get into some of the patriotic stuff. I don't care if an American won the Boston marathon. I don't care if a Kenyan won the Boston marathon. I'm proud to be an American, but I don't think that makes me better than anyone else. Of course, I'm the weird one that actually enjoys it when another country wins the medal count in the Olympics.



  8. #38
    Pro
    Points: 95,814, Level: 96
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,236
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUChippewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,163
    Points
    95,814
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 175

    Re: Meb Keflezighi... Never been so ****** an Ken Miller!

    I do wonder if when someone in the public eye like Mr. Miller makes an ignorant statement like this, or at the very least a poorly-articulated one, if they actually believe what they're saying, or if it is at times just an attempt to get some publicity and attention.

    If it is the latter, in this case for Miller it has worked.


    "The fact that anybody can say anything does not mean that anything anybody says is worth hearing"

  9. #39
    Addict
    Points: 154,812, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,618
    Points
    154,812
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 46

    Re: Meb Keflezighi... Never been so ****** an Ken Miller!

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    If it was a Viktor Ahn situation, I could understand his point.

    Even as it is, I can understand the point a little bit. Africans generally win the Boston Marathon and it's generally a surprise when they don't so the fact that he's literally an African American should be noted. Where he went wrong was to imply that he was somehow less American than you or I.
    To me this is bananas. He came to the US as a CHILD, not a foreign athlete training & living here. It's not like he's a Jamaican track athlete who went to Austin to train and compete at UT as an 18 y/o with the intention of making a career.

    I see no good reason to make a note of where he's from originally.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  10. #40
    Addict
    Points: 154,812, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,618
    Points
    154,812
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 46

    Re: Meb Keflezighi... Never been so ****** an Ken Miller!

    Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    I heard this discussion and I'm not entirely sure of the point Ken was trying to get at. But I kind of wondered if he was basically saying that the US shouldn't take credit for this guy. Not that he isn't a true American.

    All of that being said, I just don't get into some of the patriotic stuff. I don't care if an American won the Boston marathon. I don't care if a Kenyan won the Boston marathon. I'm proud to be an American, but I don't think that makes me better than anyone else. Of course, I'm the weird one that actually enjoys it when another country wins the medal count in the Olympics.
    It's still ignorant as hell. It's like saying U of I can't take credit for Dan Gable.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  11. #41
    Addict
    Points: 189,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottumwa
    Posts
    9,934
    Points
    189,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 815
    Given: 96

    Re: Meb Keflezighi... Never been so ****** an Ken Miller!

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    To me this is bananas. He came to the US as a CHILD, not a foreign athlete training & living here. It's not like he's a Jamaican track athlete who went to Austin to train and compete at UT as an 18 y/o with the intention of making a career.

    I see no good reason to make a note of where he's from originally.
    He was 12. A child yes, but he certainly lived their long enough to be influenced by their culture.



  12. #42
    Legend
    Points: 305,656, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    10,105
    Points
    305,656
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,303
    Given: 568

    Re: Meb Keflezighi... Never been so ****** an Ken Miller!

    Quote Originally Posted by clones26 View Post
    Nope, not at all. I have adopted nephews from Russia and they are American to me too, I am just saying that we are eager to claim "winners" as Americans but if you saw Meb on the street you would be like, yep he is African.

    Nope, that's really mostly a you problem. I'm assuming this is also a poor choice of words, in that you don't actually assume all black people you encounter on the street are africans, otherwise, please let me know, as I'll want to get your racist arse on my ignore list, right quick. I'm assuming you really mean that if you read his name or heard him maybe speak with an accent that you'd say he's african...I'm guessing it's just the small minded mentality of growing up where I also did, a stunningly monochromatic culture which is almost completely white, and just as almost completely christian or non-religious. If that's the case, considering this is a university sports focused message board, I'll just consider it sad that you didn't take better advantage of your opportunities to expand your horizons in college.



  13. #43
    Addict
    Points: 154,812, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,618
    Points
    154,812
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 46

    Re: Meb Keflezighi... Never been so ****** an Ken Miller!

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    He was 12. A child yes, but he certainly lived their long enough to be influenced by their culture.
    Point being?


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  14. #44
    Addict
    Points: 189,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottumwa
    Posts
    9,934
    Points
    189,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 815
    Given: 96

    Re: Meb Keflezighi... Never been so ****** an Ken Miller!

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    It's still ignorant as hell. It's like saying U of I can't take credit for Dan Gable.
    That's a pretty good example. Is Gable a Hawkeye or a Cyclone? Is Cael Sanderson a Cyclone or is he a Lion?

    Obviously the answer to both questions is both. You can't tell either guy's complete story without mentioning both schools.

    Same holds true for the marathon winner. "American wins the Boston Marathon" while undoubtedly true, leaves out an important part of the story.



  15. #45
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 40,818, Level: 62
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 832
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    NickTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    4,282
    Points
    40,818
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 281
    Given: 365

    Re: Meb Keflezighi... Never been so ****** an Ken Miller!

    Quote Originally Posted by mj4cy View Post
    I'm actually a big Ken Miller fan, but he might have wanted to have chosen his words more carefully there.
    I'm no Ken Miller fan and I'd wager he DID pick his words very carefully.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. West Virginia
  • November 29, 2014
  • 11:00 AM