Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 146
  1. #121
    Speechless
    Points: 861,019, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,528
    Points
    861,019
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,573
    Given: 1,335

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Based off the 2 or 3 public forums I watched, I highly doubt it completely ends. I have not heard from one person who wants it to be abolished completely. Most everyone has asked for it to continue, but with changes.
    Seems like we've done "with changes" before.
    I prefer abolishing completely. It's too tainted by this point.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  2. #122
    Legend
    Points: 269,487, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,352
    Points
    269,487
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 680
    Given: 158

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Seems like we've done "with changes" before.
    I prefer abolishing completely. It's too tainted by this point.
    That would be a shame, IMO. There is way to much to VEISHEA to just completely abolish it based off a riot. Do away with nighttime activities, concentrate the "party" to the Iowa State Center parking lot in a controlled environment, but don't punish all the good things that come with VEISHEA.



  3. #123
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 3,972, Level: 18
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    2611 Helser, Louden
    Posts
    340
    Points
    3,972
    Level
    18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 56

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    That would be a shame, IMO. There is way to much to VEISHEA to just completely abolish it based off a riot. Do away with nighttime activities, concentrate the "party" to the Iowa State Center parking lot in a controlled environment, but don't punish all the good things that come with VEISHEA.
    Yup.

    THe "abolish it now" mentality does not resonate with me. We already have ISU baseball to complain about and speculate when it's coming back. Don't need VEISHEA added to that list.



  4. #124
    Legend
    Points: 276,826, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    13,189
    Points
    276,826
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 636
    Given: 1,250

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by JSmoove View Post
    Yup.

    THe "abolish it now" mentality does not resonate with me. We already have ISU baseball to complain about and speculate when it's coming back. Don't need VEISHEA added to that list.
    New Veishea activity: ISU Baseball tournament with Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri and Texas A&M.


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldnít get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  5. #125
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 167,486, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    NickTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    3,884
    Points
    167,486
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 192
    Given: 224

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    I'd hate to see 100 years of traditional end because of a few jerks.

    Maybe they just need to quit pretending VEISHEA doesn't involve drinking. Have a kegger on Central Campus. Have old car for students to tip over. People that age are non-conformists. If the university is encouraging them to riot, they'll rebel by staying in and studying



  6. #126
    Addict
    Points: 82,312, Level: 89
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,438
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonesince78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,315
    Points
    82,312
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 833
    Given: 937

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Two keys to avoiding future veishea riots:

    1. Cops need to not break up a house party unless it is completely unavoidable. Be extra lenient. You don't want a bunch of kids drunk wandering around with no where to go.

    2. Double or triple the police enforcement on Welch and surrounding areas all week. And they need to keep the order and keep the streets in the 2 blocks of Welch free of people at night no loitering. You walk out of a bar, you need to move on to your desination or get back in the bar.

    Cancelling a parade that grade school kids love, isn't the way to solve the problem.

    Problem solved.



  7. #127
    square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Points: 497,309, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Angie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    17,600
    Points
    497,309
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 733
    Given: 2,917

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesince78 View Post
    Two keys to avoiding future veishea riots:

    1. Cops need to not break up a house party unless it is completely unavoidable. Be extra lenient. You don't want a bunch of kids drunk wandering around with no where to go.

    2. Double or triple the police enforcement on Welch and surrounding areas all week. And they need to keep the order and keep the streets in the 2 blocks of Welch free of people at night no loitering. You walk out of a bar, you need to move on to your desination or get back in the bar.

    Cancelling a parade that grade school kids love, isn't the way to solve the problem.

    Problem solved.
    The problem with the bolded statement is that there are non-students who live in the areas surrounding these house parties. Old people, people with kids, etc. - they don't need to be kept up to 3:30 a.m. by some drunk students. If they chose to live near Campustown, that's one thing, but I've seen house parties in really, really residential areas.


    M 7/09

  8. #128
    Legend
    Points: 209,272, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,540
    Points
    209,272
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 398
    Given: 261

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    The problem with the bolded statement is that there are non-students who live in the areas surrounding these house parties. Old people, people with kids, etc. - they don't need to be kept up to 3:30 a.m. by some drunk students. If they chose to live near Campustown, that's one thing, but I've seen house parties in really, really residential areas.
    I would imagine the parties closest to campustown are the biggest problems when they get broken up, since those would be the people that end up converging with the Welch Ave. crowd.



  9. #129
    square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Points: 497,309, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Angie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    17,600
    Points
    497,309
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 733
    Given: 2,917

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    I would imagine the parties closest to campustown are the biggest problems when they get broken up, since those would be the people that end up converging with the Welch Ave. crowd.
    I would assume so, as well, but wasn't one of the parties in this last round on something like State St.? That's four or five streets away from Campustown, isn't it?


    M 7/09

  10. #130
    Starter
    Points: 13,728, Level: 35
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    761
    Points
    13,728
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 346
    Given: 225

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    I don't think it'll completely go away either, although like many others I kinda think it should.

    And unfortunately, it's not just a handful of people. These are large mobs each time it happens. And worse yet, it's a campus and community wide mentality. The jokes are everyone leading up to VEISHEA each year. Yes - they're jokes. But still there's a certain aura and even expectation that goes with the event. Worse yet - there's a morbid pride by far too many in the whole riot culture around VEISHEA

    The only way I can think that it'll work going forward is to almost kill off all the true student events and make the week more normal. Meaning concerts, shows and many other on campus events. Outside the parade, I'm not sure what that leaves you with. And of course, this is really meant to be a student event, so that really shuts down the point of the whole thing. Which leads me back to canceling it.

    Of course, businesses in Ames make a nice chunk of change that week - which is why I think it won't really go away. Probably the best thing is some sort of special set of city ordinances to shut bars and alcohol sales down earlier during VEISHEA week. I have zero idea if that's even possible. And again, gripe as the might about the damages - the Ames business community as a whole and the local bar merchants would flip a lid over that idea.



  11. #131
    Legend
    Points: 269,487, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,352
    Points
    269,487
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 680
    Given: 158

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
    I'd hate to see 100 years of traditional end because of a few jerks.

    Maybe they just need to quit pretending VEISHEA doesn't involve drinking. Have a kegger on Central Campus. Have old car for students to tip over. People that age are non-conformists. If the university is encouraging them to riot, they'll rebel by staying in and studying
    I actually think this would be a good idea...have a beer garden with the concerts etc. in the Iowa State Center Parking lot like they do when RAGBRAI rolled through 5 or so years ago. Enforce the hell out of it, and control the environment in which the students drink.

    You will never make VEISHEA dry, its nearly impossible. But you can control the environment in which most of the students drink.



  12. #132
    Addict
    Points: 109,113, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CysRage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,814
    Points
    109,113
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 237

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Bump. Was anything ever announced or are they secretly giving their recommendation to Leath and then Leath will announce the fate of VEISHEA?


    ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

  13. #133
    Addict
    Points: 61,867, Level: 77
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,383
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    ImJustKCClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,572
    Points
    61,867
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,191
    Given: 1,390

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by CysRage View Post
    Bump. Was anything ever announced or are they secretly giving their recommendation to Leath and then Leath will announce the fate of VEISHEA?
    The latter does seem to be the modus operandi all too often...



  14. #134
    Prospect
    Points: 2,951, Level: 15
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    LaVerne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3
    Points
    2,951
    Level
    15
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 14

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by CysRage View Post
    Bump. Was anything ever announced or are they secretly giving their recommendation to Leath and then Leath will announce the fate of VEISHEA?
    http://www.iowastatedaily.com/news/a...9bb2963f4.html

    Looks like they are definitely going to recommend a change in some form (unanimous vote against keeping it as-is), but the specifics are still to be determined.



  15. #135
    Pro
    Points: 37,058, Level: 59
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 792
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    wonkadog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    3,369
    Points
    37,058
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 96

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesince78 View Post
    Two keys to avoiding future veishea riots:

    1. Cops need to not break up a house party unless it is completely unavoidable. Be extra lenient. You don't want a bunch of kids drunk wandering around with no where to go.

    2. Double or triple the police enforcement on Welch and surrounding areas all week. And they need to keep the order and keep the streets in the 2 blocks of Welch free of people at night no loitering. You walk out of a bar, you need to move on to your desination or get back in the bar.

    Cancelling a parade that grade school kids love, isn't the way to solve the problem.

    Problem solved.
    This exactly. I thought it was a really knee jerk reaction to do this as it punished those that had nothing to do with what happened earlier that week. The events during the day on Saturday should be kept, it's a great showcase for the campus. I can't imagine someone who graduated from ISU somehow being in favor of completely doing away with the whole event, that seems crazy to me.


    "It's appropriate for leaders sometimes to move boldly against the flow of public opinion," she said. "That's called leadership." --- Sarah Swisher (D), Superdelegate, Iowa City

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. Kansas State
  • September 6, 2014
  • 11:00 AM