Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,352
    Given: 127

Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

Quote Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone View Post
    What about the seven years before this one?
    Yeah Erik, it's not like they riot every year, just every 4 or 5 years on average.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    I don't think students get drunk and riot because there are concerts/comedians/magic shows, they do it because it's VEISHEA and that's what you do during VEISHEA.
    Well not directly, no. My thinking was a way to address the "because it's VEISHEA and that's what you do during VEISHEA" thing. Essentially they would announce there is no VEISHEA week anymore. But instead of cancelling everything outright, try to limit the scope of VEISHEA to the daytime activities over the weekend. Since those activities are family activities, they would be less likely to insinuate that the week is meant to be a big party, which in turn might help with the craziness in campustown. Essentially the rest of the week would be reduced to be like every other week.

Just a thought.. who knows if it'd help, I'm certainly no expert on this stuff. I just don't want to see the administration throw out the baby with the bath water.

Last edited by Skyh13; 04-18-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,299
    Given: 1,129

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    This is true for a certain population, but not the larger population. How many students do the heavy partying? A few hundred (with several hundred "friends"). How many students participate in the other campus activities and concerts (with alumni and true friends)? Thousands.

Turn VEISHEA into a daytime festival. Call it "VEISHEA Days." Disassociate it with the night-time activities. And then get smarter about patroling the party areas. This problem is easier to fix than the football team's offense!

This is the sort of thing that can go towards keeping something around, but you have to find a way to quantify and prove that it's thousands of students involved in the other events.

If it is, then you've got something.
    If it isn't, not so much.

A one-day or one-weekend festival with a zero tolerance evening policy might have a chance. I still think it's too late and they've had enough chances. This is the closest sort of thing to workable that might be there.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Legend
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 354
    Given: 226

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    This is true for a certain population, but not the larger population. How many students do the heavy partying? A few hundred (with several hundred "friends"). How many students participate in the other campus activities and concerts (with alumni and true friends)? Thousands.

Turn VEISHEA into a daytime festival. Call it "VEISHEA Days." Disassociate it with the night-time activities. And then get smarter about patroling the party areas. This problem is easier to fix than the football team's offense!
    The percentage of students that party VEISHEA week is bigger than that, but I think the key is that for most of them they're partying probably isn't much worse or cause more problems than any other party weekend in Ames.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 994
    Given: 83

Hitler loved VEISHEA, that's a fact.
    It's true. In fact, VEISHEA actually started out as a violent German tradition from the 18th century. See, German soldiers would hire themselves out as mercenaries and fight for whoever paid them enough. When they'd ransack a town, they'd have this big party where they'd all get drunk, destroy property, tip over horsecarts, and show off the art/science projects that they all worked on when they weren't fighting. They called it HESSHEA.

The Revolutionary War brought them to America, and the HESSHEA celebration came along for the ride. After we kicked King George to the curb, a lot of those German mercenaries stuck around, and settled in the Midwest, where their savage celebration became a local yearly tradition. Oh, yeah Hitler was a BIG fan. He especially loved the cherry pies, because the red filling was a great representation of the blood of innocents.

Last edited by Mr Janny; 04-18-2014 at 04:18 PM.
    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 927
    Given: 1,123

Erik, serious question. The culture that needs to be changed is not the culture of VEISHEA, but the culture of students drinking to get drunk, of binge drinking and drinking games to speed the process. The culture that needs to be changed is the idea that it is fun to be destructive. To destroy something that doesn't belong to you, simply because you can. What can we, as adults - I believe you're a little older than the average student, yes? - what can WE do to affect that culture?

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    I get his point though. If you remove the extra events that would make VEISHEA a more attractive weekend for parties and out-of-town guests than normal it probably dilutes that scene a little bit, maybe just enough to keep a mob from forming. If the name is really that big of a problem as far as encouraging parties, than I guess change the name and put the parade and campus showcase events under a new banner. Nobody is going to plan a party just to go to a parade hung over the next morning. They might party in spite of it, but not because of it.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 927
    Given: 1,123

Yeah Erik, it's not like they riot every year, just every 4 or 5 years on average.
    In modern times. Nice deflection though.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,299
    Given: 1,129

Erik, serious question. The culture that needs to be changed is not the culture of VEISHEA, but the culture of students drinking to get drunk, of binge drinking and drinking games to speed the process. The culture that needs to be changed is the idea that it is fun to be destructive. To destroy something that doesn't belong to you, simply because you can. What can we, as adults - I believe you're a little older than the average student, yes? - what can WE do to affect that culture?
    Show that it doesn't reach a new level around this celebration.

Around the other culture, I have no idea. That's been passed on pretty heavily culturally by this point.
    I still maintain doubts that most students are into much of a party world, but they certainly are that week.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 54

All that says is that we are more interested in taking the easy way out to solve this problem than engaging our community, students, and alumni base and keeping them involved with this campus in a positive way. I was ok with cancelling this year because it needed to be addressed and they didn't have time to develop and evaluate a bunch of other options. I'm fine with a hiatus if they don't think one year is a sufficient enough amount of time to get the event back on track. I will be VERY disappointed in the administration if the best idea they can come up with is a permanent cancellation. This is Iowa State, we are smarter, more creative people than that.
    Agree with your post except for this. If you're going to keep Veishea, what purpose does a "hiatus" serve? Take a few months, determine strategies, and then implement them for next year. To me, taking a year or two off is taking the "easy way" out too...

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    It's true. In fact, VEISHEA actually started out as a violent German tradition from the 18th century. Back then it was called HESSHEA. See, German soldiers would hire themselves out as mercenaries and fight for whoever paid them enough. When they'd ransack a town, they'd have this big party where they'd all get drunk, destroy property, tip over horsecarts, and show off the art/science projects that they all worked on when they weren't fighting. The Revolutionary War brought them to America, and the HESSHEA celebration came along for the ride. After we kicked King George to the curb, a lot of those German mercenaries stuck around, and settled in the Midwest, where their savage celebration became a local yearly tradition. Oh, yeah Hitler was a BIG fan. He especially loved the cherry pies, because the red filling was a great representation of the blood of innocents.
    Fun fact, Hessians weren't actually mercenaries, at least not in the way we would think of them in the present day. They were the official national army of the nation-state Hesse-Cassel which would eventually become part of present day Germany. It was a common practice for these small Germanic states to lease their military to larger countries as a way to generate income. Hesse-Cassel in particular was renowned for having well-trained soldiers and their economy basically revolved around the military and industries, like uniform making, that supported the military. Thus the Hessians involved in the American revolution were not really the drunk German soldiers-of-fortune many of us were led to believe in history class.

And thus concludes our informative history thread interlude. You may now return to debating the future of VEISHEA.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,352
    Given: 127

26 years is a pretty good set of data to look at I'd say.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 618
    Given: 2,516

But we live in modern times.

I get what you're saying, but can't what you're wanting just be accomplished by having a one-day exhibition on central campus without everything surrounding it, with some corresponding arts events at Iowa State Center? There's no need for this to be a week long, with all of the build-up surrounding it.

M 7/09

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 994
    Given: 83

Fun fact, Hessians weren't actually mercenaries, at least not in the way we would think of them in the present day. They were the official national army of the nation-state Hesse-Cassel which would eventually become part of present day Germany. It was a common practice for these small Germanic states to lease their military to larger countries as a way to generate income. Hesse-Cassel in particular was renowned for having well-trained soldiers and their economy basically revolved around the military and industries, like uniform making, that supported the military. Thus the Hessians involved in the American revolution were not really the drunk German soldiers-of-fortune many of us were led to believe in history class.

And thus concludes our informative history thread interlude. You may now return to debating the future of VEISHEA.
    you can't tell me that some of them weren't drunk.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Agree with your post except for this. If you're going to keep Veishea, what purpose does a "hiatus" serve? Take a few months, determine strategies, and then implement them for next year. To me, taking a year or two off is taking the "easy way" out too...
    IF they thought it was a legitimate strategy that would eliminate some of the party culture around the week, I could be supportive of that. And I would want them to set a definite return timetable. I agree that an open-ended hiatus would be weak.