Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 146
  1. #61
    Speechless
    Points: 644,260, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,571
    Points
    644,260
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,269
    Given: 122

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Hitler loved VEISHEA, that's a fact.



  2. #62
    Legend
    Points: 206,471, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,420
    Points
    206,471
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 340
    Given: 221

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Historically, I'm not a VEISHEA optimist. I think the evidence here suggests a pretty clear pattern. I tend to follow the evidence whenever possible.
    Well, you also just compared drunk college students to Hitler, so your objectivity seems a bit questionable here.



  3. #63
    Speechless
    Points: 856,730, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,008
    Points
    856,730
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,262
    Given: 1,086

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone View Post
    And with your outlook you are giving tacit approval to what they have done by accepting it as a given "fact".

    And I'm sorry, but HITLER??? Good god, man!
    I had a score of past events. He seemed more vivid than the rest.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  4. #64
    Speechless
    Points: 856,730, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,008
    Points
    856,730
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,262
    Given: 1,086

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    Well, you also just compared drunk college students to Hitler, so your objectivity seems a bit questionable here.
    No, I didn't. I named a decision already completed that I'd love to change but can't, because it's finished.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  5. #65
    Pro
    Points: 25,045, Level: 48
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Skyh13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,833
    Points
    25,045
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    There are lots of parts of VEISHEA that shouldn't be problematic and are worth preserving. There are lots of positive organizations on that campus that simply wouldn't get any sort of annual recognition and support from the community if they weren't packaged together under the VEISHEA banner. How many people take in SOV, or a drumline performance, etc. etc, that would never make the trip to campus for those things if they weren't a part of VEISHEA?

    Like I said, if they need to put it on hiatus to give themselves enough time to work out a way to bring it back better and safer, so be it. But they NEED to find a way to bring it back in some shape or form.
    This big time.

    I would be fine with ISU getting rid of activities for students (concerts, comedians, magic shows, whatever -- anything that happens during the week and at night that isn't a student performance) if it looks like the dumb****** are going to continue to be stupid, and just bringing back VEISHEA as a family weekend; the parade, central campus tents, pies, etc.



  6. #66
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 57,757, Level: 74
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 793
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    ImJustKCClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4,389
    Points
    57,757
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 871
    Given: 1,053

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    No, I didn't. I named a decision already completed that I'd love to change but can't, because it's finished.
    What decision has been completed that you'd love to change but can't because it's finished? VEISHEA? In your opinion, perhaps. Not in mine.

    Maybe my college/department put more emphasis on the departmental pride than yours does/did. Perhaps that's why I'm apparently more "invested" in making it work than you seem to be. Either way, I hope you're wrong and I'm right, not so that I can be prideful, but because it means that VEISHEA will be VEISHEA, not the corruption some people are trying to make it.



  7. #67
    Speechless
    Points: 644,260, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,571
    Points
    644,260
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,269
    Given: 122

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyh13 View Post
    This big time.

    I would be fine with ISU getting rid of activities for students (concerts, comedians, magic shows, whatever -- anything that happens during the week and at night that isn't a student performance) if it looks like the dumb****** are going to continue to be stupid, and just bringing back VEISHEA as a family weekend; the parade, central campus tents, pies, etc.
    I don't think students get drunk and riot because there are concerts/comedians/magic shows, they do it because it's VEISHEA and that's what you do during VEISHEA.



  8. #68
    Speechless
    Points: 644,260, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,571
    Points
    644,260
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,269
    Given: 122

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone View Post
    What decision has been completed that you'd love to change but can't because it's finished? VEISHEA? In your opinion, perhaps. Not in mine.

    Maybe my college/department put more emphasis on the departmental pride than yours does/did. Perhaps that's why I'm apparently more "invested" in making it work than you seem to be. Either way, I hope you're wrong and I'm right, not so that I can be prideful, but because it means that VEISHEA will be VEISHEA, not the corruption some people are trying to make it.
    DEPARTMENTAL BURN!



  9. #69
    Speechless
    Points: 856,730, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,008
    Points
    856,730
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,262
    Given: 1,086

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone View Post
    What decision has been completed that you'd love to change but can't because it's finished? VEISHEA? In your opinion, perhaps. Not in mine.

    Maybe my college/department put more emphasis on the departmental pride than yours does/did. Perhaps that's why I'm apparently more "invested" in making it work than you seem to be. Either way, I hope you're wrong and I'm right, not so that I can be prideful, but because it means that VEISHEA will be VEISHEA, not the corruption some people are trying to make it.

    VEISHEA means party to students and people around them. That cultural decision was made over 2 decades ago. I'd love to change that, but that's over and done with. People made their choice.

    Sure, some are bothered now because something could be lost. There were 26 years to change that culture, and nobody got the job done. That's why it's fair to pull the plug now.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  10. #70
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 57,757, Level: 74
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 793
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    ImJustKCClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4,389
    Points
    57,757
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 871
    Given: 1,053

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    DEPARTMENTAL BURN!
    Eh, not meant to be. College of Ag gets a lot of mileage out of the VEISHEA displays and ag-related events. Other colleges had traditions they maintained every year. Anyone remember the homemade yogurt from the microbiology department? How about the fun kid activities in Psych? My boys loved the parade and the petting zoo at the vet school.



  11. #71
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 57,757, Level: 74
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 793
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    ImJustKCClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4,389
    Points
    57,757
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 871
    Given: 1,053

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    VEISHEA means party to students and people around them. That cultural decision was made over 2 decades ago. I'd love to change that, but that's over and done with. People made their choice.

    Sure, some are bothered now because something could be lost. There were 26 years to change that culture, and nobody got the job done. That's why it's fair to pull the plug now.
    What about the seven years before this one?



  12. #72
    Legend
    Points: 206,471, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,420
    Points
    206,471
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 340
    Given: 221

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    I don't think students get drunk and riot because there are concerts/comedians/magic shows, they do it because it's VEISHEA and that's what you do during VEISHEA.
    I get his point though. If you remove the extra events that would make VEISHEA a more attractive weekend for parties and out-of-town guests than normal it probably dilutes that scene a little bit, maybe just enough to keep a mob from forming. If the name is really that big of a problem as far as encouraging parties, than I guess change the name and put the parade and campus showcase events under a new banner. Nobody is going to plan a party just to go to a parade hung over the next morning. They might party in spite of it, but not because of it.



  13. #73
    Addict
    Points: 115,699, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,143
    Points
    115,699
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 279

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    I'm not. I'm talking people involved overall in the atmosphere that fosters this thing.
    There's hardly a chance that the activities related to campus can compete with the party scene. VEISHEA is and has been just an excuse to party a little bit longer.

    This is true for a certain population, but not the larger population. How many students do the heavy partying? A few hundred (with several hundred "friends"). How many students participate in the other campus activities and concerts (with alumni and true friends)? Thousands.

    Turn VEISHEA into a daytime festival. Call it "VEISHEA Days." Disassociate it with the night-time activities. And then get smarter about patroling the party areas. This problem is easier to fix than the football team's offense!



  14. #74
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 302,286, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    22,990
    Points
    302,286
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 704

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    If we get rid of VEISHEA, can we at least still buy pies?



  15. #75
    Pro
    Points: 54,408, Level: 72
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acoustimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lamoni, IA
    Posts
    2,217
    Points
    54,408
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 89

    Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Tom Hill would in a damn heartbeat. He didn't want it to come back last time.
    Have met the man and talked with him in depth. If there is one thing he stands for it's student opportunities. This is one of those opportunities.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM