50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 508
    Given: 565

Re: Members of Leath's "Veishea Task Force" Announced

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesince78 View Post
    Two keys to avoiding future veishea riots:

1. Cops need to not break up a house party unless it is completely unavoidable. Be extra lenient. You don't want a bunch of kids drunk wandering around with no where to go.

2. Double or triple the police enforcement on Welch and surrounding areas all week. And they need to keep the order and keep the streets in the 2 blocks of Welch free of people at night no loitering. You walk out of a bar, you need to move on to your desination or get back in the bar.

Cancelling a parade that grade school kids love, isn't the way to solve the problem.

Problem solved.
    Totally disagree on that point. House parties being allowed to get too large is a direct cause of most of the problems of the last two VEISHEA riots. I think that during VEISHEA week they should be extra harsh about house parties and break them up as soon as possible, before they get big. Break them up before you have hundreds of drunk people and you'd prevent a lot of the issues.

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 1

I see the Task Force wants to continue a celebration but not call it VEISHEA. BOOM Problem solved! Can't have VEISHEA problems if it's not called VEISHEA.

I give them credit for wanting to keep the event but I don't see how changing the name accomplishes anything. It just makes the Task Force look foolish.

Walk On
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 140
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 5

Huh. Who knew an acronym by itself could cause so much rage. SMFH.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 525
    Given: 363

Quote Originally Posted by akclone View Post
    I see the Task Force wants to continue a celebration but not call it VEISHEA. BOOM Problem solved! Can't have VEISHEA problems if it's not called VEISHEA.

I give them credit for wanting to keep the event but I don't see how changing the name accomplishes anything. It just makes the Task Force look foolish.
    What it accomplishes is cutting down on the local news' yearly go-to story about "The VEISHEA Problem". Not that another riot wouldn't make the news, but it at least alters the narrative a little bit.

Pro
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 346
    Given: 89

Quote Originally Posted by akclone View Post

If the term VEISHEA caused riots they should call it AEHSIEV. It would cause the exact opposite of riots right??? I envision lots of hugging and handholding or a giant orgy.

Problem solved.

All-Star
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredSocial10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 859
    Given: 783

Citizens of Ames can sleep well tonight knowing that VEISHEA's name is destroyed!

Are they taking submissions for the name of the new week-long celebration? My suggestion is naming it RIOT (Restfulness In Our Town)

All-Star
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 830
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 38

Maybe it needs a new mascot to go with a new name, I nominate the pewter family

never forget

Addict
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 436
    Given: 372

The actions that elevated the problem to crisis level were the riot-like mobs in which a few people tipped over light poles and cars while others cheered. How does changing the name address this? These actions could happen after a great win over Kansas in BB or Oklahoma in FB. Frankly, it is more common for university towns to experience these things after sporting events.

Hopefully, there is more to the recommendations than this. For instance, does there need to be more use of enhanced video security devices? Do we need to be more pro-active, such as asking former athletes and student leaders to be present to intervene (during alt-VEISHEA and after athletic events)? I think Jeff Woody and a few of his friends could have stepped in and kept cars from being tipped. Do the police need to do a better job of identifying those who do criminal acts? It is amazing to me that so few arrests were made with the volume of video and photo evidence available.

I don't know that I have the answers, but surely there is more to be recommended than just changing the name. The risk of riot-like actions is there no matter what you call it, as well as at plenty of other times also.

All-Star
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredSocial10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 859
    Given: 783

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    The actions that elevated the problem to crisis level were the riot-like mobs in which a few people tipped over light poles and cars while others cheered. How does changing the name address this? These actions could happen after a great win over Kansas in BB or Oklahoma in FB. Frankly, it is more common for university towns to experience these things after sporting events.

Hopefully, there is more to the recommendations than this. For instance, does there need to be more use of enhanced video security devices? Do we need to be more pro-active, such as asking former athletes and student leaders to be present to intervene (during alt-VEISHEA and after athletic events)? I think Jeff Woody and a few of his friends could have stepped in and kept cars from being tipped. Do the police need to do a better job of identifying those who do criminal acts? It is amazing to me that so few arrests were made with the volume of video and photo evidence available.

I don't know that I have the answers, but surely there is more to be recommended than just changing the name. The risk of riot-like actions is there no matter what you call it, as well as at plenty of other times also.
    I can see it now...

"Yeah, we got a code 3151 at 1412 Welch Ave... Common house party that could evolve into riots... Better send in Jeff Woody."

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,506
    Given: 141

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post

I understand wanting to change the name. Re-branding is a standard public relations move. The name is identified with riots, so you change the name. It's not a giant step, and obviously, there will be additional changes, but something as simple as a new name is the first step in altering how people see the event. It's the whole idea of throwing out the old and bringing in the new.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 808
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 29

I believe the city is already moving ahead with placing surveillance cameras in campustown (where the footage would only be used in case of an incident and is only stored for a limited amount of time)