Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 77

Odd Circumstance - home selling

So, the other day, my wife was in our driveway when a man in his 80's pulled in. He said that his daughter lives in the house who's backyard shares the fence with ours, and wanted to know if we were willing to sell our house.

She let him know that we aren't in a position to sell as of right now and he went on his way.

He has since been in contact with us again saying "I'm not wealthy, but money isn't much of an issue," in response to us telling him we can't sell because we wouldn't make enough from the sale to be able to have a down payment for another house.

To add to it, my wife has now set up a showing for him on Monday because he wanted to come in and see if the layout of the house would even work for when we are ready to sell.

My wife and I have talked about moving, but its more of a 7 - 10 year projection. I feel like if the guy really wants to buy our house for market value and basically pay our down payment on another house, we would do it. At the same time, feel like thats taking advantage of someone to even suggest it on the off chance he accepts those terms.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Its a crazy scenario that my wife and I were definitely not expecting.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,162
    Given: 233

Re: Odd Circumstance - home selling

Quote Originally Posted by ISUKing View Post
    So, the other day, my wife was in our driveway when a man in his 80's pulled in. He said that his daughter lives in the house who's backyard shares the fence with ours, and wanted to know if we were willing to sell our house.

She let him know that we aren't in a position to sell as of right now and he went on his way.

He has since been in contact with us again saying "I'm not wealthy, but money isn't much of an issue," in response to us telling him we can't sell because we wouldn't make enough from the sale to be able to have a down payment for another house.

To add to it, my wife has now set up a showing for him on Monday because he wanted to come in and see if the layout of the house would even work for when we are ready to sell.

My wife and I have talked about moving, but its more of a 7 - 10 year projection. I feel like if the guy really wants to buy our house for market value and basically pay our down payment on another house, we would do it. At the same time, feel like thats taking advantage of someone to even suggest it on the off chance he accepts those terms.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Its a crazy scenario that my wife and I were definitely not expecting.
    It's not like you can force him to accept your number, if you need to have a certain amount to be able to move and he's ok with that then that's what it's worth to him.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 10

If someone offers you more than market value and it doesn't screw up your current life, you do it.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 289
    Given: 41

See what he will do. You have an item he wants to buy. It sounds like living close to his family is more important than money. Once you start getting older, this tends to happen. If you can make a fair deal for both sides, you should not feel bad about it at all.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Rookie
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

we would have to sell our 145k house for something like 170k to make us move out ready. I feel like that would be taking advantage of the situation. But at the same time, its very odd how badly he wants to move into my house...

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,556
    Given: 149

Beware the long con. The old man's name didn't happen to be "Plantagenet" did it?

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Bench Warmer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't know how many of you are familiar with zillow.com, but it's a real estate site and you can "claim" your home on the site and include a "make me move" sell price. I've done it and if someone calls offering it I'll take it.

Prospect
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

The house is worth whatever he is willing to pay. Make it right for you and see what he says. The worst that happens is you stay on a house you didn't plan on moving out of for 7-10 years.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 289
    Given: 41

we would have to sell our 145k house for something like 170k to make use move out ready. I feel like that would be taking advantage of the situation. But at the same time, its very odd how badly he wants to move into my house...
    Straight up tell him that. Explain why and see what he would do. Honestly, 25K is really not that much money in the grand scheme of things.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Bench Warmer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

we would have to sell our 145k house for something like 170k to make us move out ready. I feel like that would be taking advantage of the situation. But at the same time, its very odd how badly he wants to move into my house...
    Maybe he buried some dead bodies there years ago and now needs to move them.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

we would have to sell our 145k house for something like 170k to make use move out ready. I feel like that would be taking advantage of the situation. But at the same time, its very odd how badly he wants to move into my house...
    That doesn't sound like a huge premium necessarily, I was thinking you were talking like 50% more than it's worth or something. If it were me I'd thrown in 5k more just for the hassle of me having to move when I wasn't planning on it.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by somecyguy View Post
    Maybe he buried some dead bodies there years ago and now needs to move them.
    This is the only thing that makes sense. Or perhaps a buried treasure of some kind.

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,377
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 166

You've had that much contact with him and haven't asked him what is so special about your house that he is so interested?

CCG

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 840
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 7

Maybe this is the skeptic in me but could he have other motives for wanting to see the house? Checking it out working for someone to rob you?

I am very skeptical of well pretty much everything but it just sounds odd to me.

Rookie
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by wxman1 View Post
    Maybe this is the skeptic in me but could he have other motives for wanting to see the house? Checking it out working for someone to rob you?

I am very skeptical of well pretty much everything but it just sounds odd to me.
    They'll be sorely disappointed with their take if thats the case. They might actually leave me some stuff.