Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 94

Amazing World Cup Posters/Artwork

In case you haven't seen these yet, I'd recommend you take a look. Whether you like soccer or even care about the World Cup or not, you've got to admit that these are some SWEET pictures/artwork. There is one for every team. Enjoy!!!

http://www.businessinsider.com/espn-...rs-2014-5?op=1

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=D6DE7...929CBDBC%21108

Last edited by Triggermv; 06-17-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 324

Re: Amazing World Cup Posters/Artwork

The artist did some good work, but if you read the comments apparently the artist didn't do enough research with the slogans or translated it poorly, because there are a lot of errors - particularly with Greece (went for NATIONAL but translated into a gibberish Greek word), Croatia (most don't use the Cyrillic alphabet), Russia (gibberish word). Even using "Yanks" for USA, which is sometimes what the MNT is referred as, isn't as inspiring as much as, say, "Stars and Stripes" been used.

The artwork is quality, but the errors take away from it.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 575
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    The artist did some good work, but if you read the comments apparently the artist didn't do enough research with the slogans or translated it poorly, because there are a lot of errors - particularly with Greece (went for NATIONAL but translated into a gibberish Greek word), Croatia (most don't use the Cyrillic alphabet), Russia (gibberish word). Even using "Yanks" for USA, which is sometimes what the MNT is referred as, isn't as inspiring as much as, say, "Stars and Stripes" been used.

The artwork is quality, but the errors take away from it.
    Yeah, the screwups would suck for the other countries in which that is the case. However, with the USA, I kind of like being referred to as "The Yanks", and actually like it more than if they would have put "Stars and Stripes" instead. Maybe it is just a personal preference thing.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 324

Quote Originally Posted by Triggermv View Post
    Yeah, the screwups would suck for the other countries in which that is the case. However, with the USA, I kind of like being referred to as "The Yanks", and actually like it more than if they would have put "Stars and Stripes" instead. Maybe it is just a personal preference thing.
    Except you have a large part of the nation south of the Mason-Dixon Line and west of the Missouri River that doesn't identify with the term "Yank", and, in fact, finds it vulgar and/or uses it derogatorily. Yank particularly refers to the NE USA, so it's not fathomable that much of the population doesn't identify with it.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Except you have a large part of the nation south of the Mason-Dixon Line and west of the Missouri River that doesn't identify with the term "Yank", and, in fact, finds it vulgar and/or uses it derogatorily. Yank particularly refers to the NE USA, so it's not fathomable that much of the population doesn't identify with it.
    I see where you are coming from, but I think they are more using "Yanks" as a US Soccer term that our team is already being referred to as in general. See the following sites to see what I'm talking about. Therefore, it isn't an original term that only this artist is using, but rather something already in mainstream circulation, kind of like the "American Outlaws" term that is used as the name for our US Soccer fan club of traveling crazies.
    http://www.yanksarecoming.com/tag/us-soccer
    http://www.yanks-abroad.com/

So, whether it is offensive to some or not, I think the artist is moreso just trying to go with a mainstream trendy reference to our team and the soccer culture surrounding it. If you just ask me, I think being referred to as "Yank" for something like soccer is kind of a fun name, but maybe that is because I grew up in Iowa (The "North"). Also, I could really care less about what Southern people think in general. Last time I checked, we won the war. They need to get over it at some point.

Last edited by Triggermv; 06-17-2014 at 04:08 PM.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

So, I like this picture enough that I think it would be sweet to make a canvas poster of this to put in my basement, however, I've never done anything like this before. With that said I've got a few questions along those lines.

1. Is this even possible?
    2. Is the resolution good enough on the second link I provided to make it even look decent?
    3. Would I run into copyright problems using the image where a place wouldn't print it?
    4. If it is possible, what would you guys recommend? Where should I order size wise? Where should I order it?

Again, I'm no expert on this so I'm just looking for some advice.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 768

Let's take Bradley off after his game yesterday.

They are pretty cool.