Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 943
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 23

Re: Looks like Farniok and Rohach will be wearing Riddell's new helmet...

It's supposed to spread the force of a blow to the front of the head throughout the foam in the helmet so that the forehead doesn't take the direct impact...and the facemask is kind of a shock absorber.

This is from a Yahoo article on the helmet:

Case said two of the highlights of the helmet are what Riddell calls The Flex System, which is used on the facemask, and the Composite Energy Management materials used on the inside of the helmet.
    “There’s a little cutout in front of the helmet that kind of gives a little bit and there’s some thick foam right behind that that rests on your forehead,” Case said. “When you take a blow from someone, your helmet is moving forward and you take that blow on the front of the helmet, that little piece gives just a little bit and disperses all that shock from the hit throughout that foam so that it’s not directly going straight onto your forehead.
    “They also have four quick release points on the helmet and there’s no screwdown posts on the front of the helmet at the nose bumper. There’s nothing there so that if you do take a hard shot there you don’t have the post from the screwdown thing going straight into your forehead. And the way this facemask is built, when you take a direct blow in the front of the helmet, it gives just a little bit and bows out so that it disperses all that force and pressure before it gets to your head.
    “If you see a standard helmet, you see the screwdown posts at the top of the helmet, right in the front, right above your eyes. And they’re trying to take that away because that’s where a lot of the bad hits happen that help cause concussions. So, they’re taking that whole factor out of the process. So, between that with the facemask and the flex technology right on the top of the helmet shell, they’re thinking that’s going to be a significant reduction in the amount of concussions you see.”

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,068
    Given: 226

They should make a helmet that's just open on the top, make some real consequences for leading with the crown of your helmet.

Addict
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,065
    Given: 1,158

Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    They should make a helmet that's just open on the top, make some real consequences for leading with the crown of your helmet.

“Urgency,” Rhoads said. “That’s exactly what I told our staff. It’s exactly what I told our players. Urgency in getting your job done. That’s in a 100 percent rate of speed at executing your responsibility — whether it’s a fit, whether it’s a tackle, whether it’s a route, whether it’s a cut-off block. Everybody needs a little bit more urgency in coaching and playing.”

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 303

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbon View Post
    Probably won't make a major impact in the amount of concussions, but if it can cut out a few concussions here and there during a season, the new technology is doing its job.
    Yes, I'm quite sure it will rake in millions. I've got no doubt of that.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Rookie
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 143

Quote Originally Posted by boblaporte View Post
    Flex is good, but I am skeptical of a panel you can move with thumb force.
    My thoughts too. The next step is that is sounds like they addressed it by modifying the padding underneath that panel. It is more of a rubber compound that would try to spread the force more than just traditional padding alone. Personally, I don't know if this is a "game changer" but I'm excited to see developments and am interested to see how this develops.

"I'm not vain...I'm awesome" - Me