Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 128
  1. #31
    Pro
    Points: 38,089, Level: 60
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 961
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    DandyCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,292
    Points
    38,089
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 788
    Given: 359

    Re: Offensive 3 deep looking VERY good...QB is the only real question mark.

    I don't care who the QB is as long as he can move the chains and put points on the board. Unfortunately I have hardly any confidence in our 3 options. I hope Mangino can work his magic with whoever he puts out there.



  2. #32
    Speechless
    Points: 214,898, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27,059
    Points
    214,898
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 39

    Re: Offensive 3 deep looking VERY good...QB is the only real question mark.

    IMO, the offense will definitely be better. Mangino has shown the ability to have a decent offense. The addition of Blaney is huge. Never realized the negative feelings towards Klenakis. And the large amount of injuries suffered by OL last year could have been a result of the way Klenakis ran things. Sounds simpler now. IMO, that is a good thing.

    Thought Rohach looked pretty good. Has good zip on the ball. Looked pretty confidant out there. SR looks tentative yet. Rohach still makes mistakes. But remember that he is still young.

    Overall I think we will have a Big 12 offense that will put up some points.

    On defense, I feel we will end up with a serviceable DL that will be very young. We will likely play some different defenses and mix things up. Darius White at DE may give us more of a 3-4 type of defense for example. Overall I trust Wally to come up with something that will work. He always has. And we have had DL in the past that were worse potential wise than this one. IMO, Cousin will be pretty good. He won't get a lot of rest though. Other DT's will need to develop. DE's should be okay. LB's will be better when Knott comes back. Levi Peters makes plays. Meeks and Harris have to develop. Less concerned about DB's. Safeties will be adequate IMO. Cotton-Moya is going to be very good IMO.



  3. #33
    Pro
    Points: 43,657, Level: 64
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 593
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,394
    Points
    43,657
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 107

    Re: Offensive 3 deep looking VERY good...QB is the only real question mark.

    Basically we need modest improvement from most of the guys on offense. Nothing spectacular, but guys just need to play to their potential and the OC needs to know how to best utilize the skill players.



  4. #34
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 54,448, Level: 72
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,102
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyCloned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Robins, Iowa
    Posts
    4,376
    Points
    54,448
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 46

    Re: Offensive 3 deep looking VERY good...QB is the only real question mark.

    It is pretty hard to walk away from a spring game with a positive spin. If the offense is great, than the defense is bad, etc. The only things you can look at is execution by skill players. Where passes on target and time, did guy catch passes, did they make a good move, did guys tackle, where players lining up right, etc. Up until a couple months ago I thought the team had a decent chance to be good, not great. The loss of Coe and Irving is really going to hurt. Somehow, some way Wally needs to fabricate a Defensive Lineman that can at least slow teams down a little right up the gut. I still look for an OL to make the switch to NG over the summer.



  5. #35
    Speechless
    Points: 214,898, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27,059
    Points
    214,898
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 39

    Re: Offensive 3 deep looking VERY good...QB is the only real question mark.

    Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    It is pretty hard to walk away from a spring game with a positive spin. If the offense is great, than the defense is bad, etc. The only things you can look at is execution by skill players. Where passes on target and time, did guy catch passes, did they make a good move, did guys tackle, where players lining up right, etc. Up until a couple months ago I thought the team had a decent chance to be good, not great. The loss of Coe and Irving is really going to hurt. Somehow, some way Wally needs to fabricate a Defensive Lineman that can at least slow teams down a little right up the gut. I still look for an OL to make the switch to NG over the summer.
    While I agree that the physical loss of Coe and Irving does hurt, I am questioning just how much it really does hurt.

    The mindless actions that those two did makes me wonder if they weren't a bit of a negative as well. Did they PLAY HARD EVERY Down? Or just when they felt like it? Were they ALL IN? Were they a bit of a pariah in the locker room who were more worried about themselves than the team?

    IMO, I would rather have a very hungry youngster with talent who is willing to give me everything he had and improve than a talented senior who only played hard when he felt like it and only gave me his best effort when he felt like it. Because you never know when that lack of effort comes back and bites you in the butt.

    Both Irving and Coe were inconsistent, although Coe was playing better. But enough is enough. And the message is pretty clear that you better bust your butt and do what is required. It is a Privilege to play for the Iowa State Football Team. A Privilege that can be taken away.

    Long term we may be better off. High Character guys giving total effort who are ALL IN.



  6. #36
    Rookie
    Points: 6,761, Level: 24
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    364
    Points
    6,761
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 100

    Re: Offensive 3 deep looking VERY good...QB is the only real question mark.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    IMO, the offense will definitely be better. Mangino has shown the ability to have a decent offense. The addition of Blaney is huge. Never realized the negative feelings towards Klenakis. And the large amount of injuries suffered by OL last year could have been a result of the way Klenakis ran things. Sounds simpler now. IMO, that is a good thing.

    Thought Rohach looked pretty good. Has good zip on the ball. Looked pretty confidant out there. SR looks tentative yet. Rohach still makes mistakes. But remember that he is still young.

    Overall I think we will have a Big 12 offense that will put up some points.

    On defense, I feel we will end up with a serviceable DL that will be very young. We will likely play some different defenses and mix things up. Darius White at DE may give us more of a 3-4 type of defense for example. Overall I trust Wally to come up with something that will work. He always has. And we have had DL in the past that were worse potential wise than this one. IMO, Cousin will be pretty good. He won't get a lot of rest though. Other DT's will need to develop. DE's should be okay. LB's will be better when Knott comes back. Levi Peters makes plays. Meeks and Harris have to develop. Less concerned about DB's. Safeties will be adequate IMO. Cotton-Moya is going to be very good IMO.
    Does always include last year? B/c for Iowa State to have any chance of improving their overall record you can't be giving up 36pts/game. That's the 108th worst in the country. I know your offense has been pretty bad lately, but the D has been pretty bad lately too. Not sure why Wally gets a pass.



  7. #37
    All-Star
    Points: 34,591, Level: 57
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 859
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CycloneVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cedar Falls
    Posts
    1,374
    Points
    34,591
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 715

    Re: Offensive 3 deep looking VERY good...QB is the only real question mark.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
    Does always include last year? B/c for Iowa State to have any chance of improving their overall record you can't be giving up 36pts/game. That's the 108th worst in the country. I know your offense has been pretty bad lately, but the D has been pretty bad lately too. Not sure why Wally gets a pass.
    Im surprised you aren't somewhere blowing Willie Atwood to get him to come to Iowa City, go away.



  8. #38
    Pro
    Points: 43,657, Level: 64
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 593
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,394
    Points
    43,657
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 107

    Re: Offensive 3 deep looking VERY good...QB is the only real question mark.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
    Does always include last year? B/c for Iowa State to have any chance of improving their overall record you can't be giving up 36pts/game. That's the 108th worst in the country. I know your offense has been pretty bad lately, but the D has been pretty bad lately too. Not sure why Wally gets a pass.
    Wally has had one bad defense in five seasons. That's not an awful track record.



  9. #39
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 167,462, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    NickTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    3,878
    Points
    167,462
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 220

    Re: Offensive 3 deep looking VERY good...QB is the only real question mark.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
    Does always include last year? B/c for Iowa State to have any chance of improving their overall record you can't be giving up 36pts/game. That's the 108th worst in the country. I know your offense has been pretty bad lately, but the D has been pretty bad lately too. Not sure why Wally gets a pass.
    Last year was supposed to be a rebuilding year for the defense. We lost (arguably) the best 2 LB's we've ever had. The offense returned everybody at skill positions except 1 WR.

    I'd wager with even a poor offense the defense would have performed better in many of the games.



  10. #40
    All-Star
    Points: 27,686, Level: 51
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 964
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ahaselhu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boone, IA
    Posts
    1,785
    Points
    27,686
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 31

    Re: Offensive 3 deep looking VERY good...QB is the only real question mark.

    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
    Last year was supposed to be a rebuilding year for the defense. We lost (arguably) the best 2 LB's we've ever had. The offense returned everybody at skill positions except 1 WR.

    I'd wager with even a poor offense the defense would have performed better in many of the games.
    Actually, I agree with BlackHawk. IMO, the odds are that our defense will be worse than last year.

    DT is definitely worse, and likely to be the worst we've had in a while, due mostly to a complete lack of size and experience.

    I don't see a LB on our roster who will likely continue Wally's streak of 1st team all conference. I think a lot of people are pinning their hopes on Harris, but I'm skeptical at this point that he's going to even be the starter, let alone the leader for the LB corps.

    CB should be slightly better, just due to added experience since everyone is back. But they didn't seem to be great last year.

    S will be almost a complete unknown, but it's hard to believe they'll be better than last year after losing Washington and Broomfield.

    DE is the only position that I expect us to be pretty good, but I don't see how that one position could make up for the likely deficiencies in all the others.

    I hope I'm wrong, but I'm beginning to think we'll need to field a top 25 offense just to make a bowl game next year.



  11. #41
    Prospect
    Points: 2,805, Level: 15
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 245
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5
    Points
    2,805
    Level
    15
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Offensive 3 deep looking VERY good...QB is the only real question mark.

    Granted I only watched the first half of the spring game before the ice cold beers were calling my name so maybe I missed something in the 2nd half.. but I don't understand why everyone is so quick to label GR as QB1. Our defense will be sub-par this year, our 2nd string defense is quite a few pegs below sub-par.. With the apparent talent gap between our offense and defense this year I was expecting GR to be a little more dominant running with the ones against our TWO's on D. Call it spring ball rust or whatever you want but I just thought him facilitating would have "looked" a little easier to a bystander given the situation. Not a GR hater by any means and I'll fully support whoever we decide to run with I just think all three of our QBs are a lot closer in the race for that No. 1 spot than most people think. Just my two cents, go state!



  12. #42
    Rookie
    Points: 12,735, Level: 34
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 615
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    DuckDynastyCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    579
    Points
    12,735
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 270

    Re: Offensive 3 deep looking VERY good...QB is the only real question mark.

    Quote Originally Posted by BWRhasnoAC View Post
    We haven't had a QB win a bowl game since Arnaud. We haven't had an elite QB since Seneca Wallace. We have had many MANY good lines in that span of time. One year of bad line play does not make up for terrible QB play for a decade.
    Yeah, if that's the case we'd have had a lot of 1000 yard rushers because of decent OL play. We haven't. Our OL play has not been dominant since 2000. That coincides with QB and RB production. Get real. If I hear another person ***** about QB play at a game when our OL is getting annihilated, I'm gonna gag. This isn't basketball where one guys actions can dictate a game, this is Football. TEAM sport.


    "winners never quit; quitters never win"

  13. #43
    Walk On
    Points: 3,324, Level: 16
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    185
    Points
    3,324
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

    Re: Offensive 3 deep looking VERY good...QB is the only real question mark.

    My only concern with the offense is indecision as to who the #1 quarterback is which leads to inconsistency. Not to say I don't have faith in the coaches to figure it out but they need to decide who the starter is and stay with him. It seemed like they got down on Richardson last year when he was playing injured. That caused problems throughout the offense.

    But, looking at the depth chart one thing stands out - that offensive line is big. I would run behind that line, less artsy fartsy stuff and more power football. Put one of those 250 lb tight ends in the backfield as a blocking back and pound the rock, then pass when the defense is softened up.



  14. #44
    Speechless
    Points: 214,898, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27,059
    Points
    214,898
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 39

    Re: Offensive 3 deep looking VERY good...QB is the only real question mark.

    I am not ready to concede that our defense will be worse this next year. The same type of people said that our basketball team was going to be worse this year as well. They said we would be lucky to make the NIT.

    We do have some talent at DT. Ayeni can slide inside. Cousin is going to be pretty good as he continues to improve. Aka, Trent, Garcia as well and we are sitting a LOT better than most years in the Mac and Chizik era. We have never had a strong DL. IMO, the DE's should be pretty solid. Better than last year IMO. We were thin at LB last year. But everyone is older now. And we are missing Jeremiah George, but we do have some promising prospects.

    Just saying that we really don't know WHAT we have as we are really young. Just a few years ago everyone was in deep despair because we were starting a couple of raw sophomores at LB. Their names were Knott and Klein. And they played pretty damn well their sophomore seasons.



  15. #45
    Starter
    Points: 7,592, Level: 26
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 558
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points3 months registered

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    746
    Points
    7,592
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 134

    Re: Offensive 3 deep looking VERY good...QB is the only real question mark.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    I am not ready to concede that our defense will be worse this next year. The same type of people said that our basketball team was going to be worse this year as well. They said we would be lucky to make the NIT.

    We do have some talent at DT. Ayeni can slide inside. Cousin is going to be pretty good as he continues to improve. Aka, Trent, Garcia as well and we are sitting a LOT better than most years in the Mac and Chizik era. We have never had a strong DL. IMO, the DE's should be pretty solid. Better than last year IMO. We were thin at LB last year. But everyone is older now. And we are missing Jeremiah George, but we do have some promising prospects.

    Just saying that we really don't know WHAT we have as we are really young. Just a few years ago everyone was in deep despair because we were starting a couple of raw sophomores at LB. Their names were Knott and Klein. And they played pretty damn well their sophomore seasons.
    I have a feeling you're going to feel quite disappointed when fall arrives, and you actually see the defense in action. I really don't see how they are going to stop the run, and if you can't stop the run even poor QBs are going to take advantage of a defense that has to rely on stacking guys inside the box. Wally isn't a magician. What was lost was far more than the average turnover, and it was lost from a defense that was already one of the worst in the country. I really don't see how you can be this positive when you look at the facts. Just blind faith?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM