Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

McCarney's Future

CLONE2THEBONE has brought up a topic that few people enjoy discussing (especially in the middle of a season) and in which many people have strong feelings Ė the future status of Dan McCarney as head coach of the ISU football team.

I must admit that I have been thinking about this since Jamie Pollard replaced Wayne Morgan and justified it by simply stating that he didnít think Wayne and his staff could lead the basketball program to a consistently high level of performance.

I can only guess, but Iím sure that Jamie is scrutinizing Coach Mac in the same manner. Can he lead the football team to a consistently high level of performance?

Letís face it, Dan McCarney has done something that few people in the country thought could be done. He has raised this program from the dead. Gone are the days of only dreaming about post season bowl trips. Gone are the days of home crowds under 40,000. Gone are the days of hiding your ISU gear until basketball season tips-off. In each of the last two years he has brought this team to the brink of a North Division title. Facilities have improved by leaps and bounds. Season ticket sales continue to break records. Enthusiasm for the football team is going through the roof.

Yet, in spite of Macís Lazarus trick, I find myself wondering ďIs that all he can do?Ē Petty? Yes. But letís face it. With higher levels of success come higher levels of expectation. Heck, Iím sure Mac would be the first to admit that he expects his team to achieve bigger and better things each year. Heís not going to be satisfied going to the Houston or Independence Bowl and finishing one game short of the North title season after season.

Have we improved under Coach Mac? Yes. In his first five seasons our record was 13-42. In the last 6+ seasons the team is 41-36. Not matter how you slice it, thatís improvement. Can we continue to improve? Hmm. Thatís the question, isnít it? Do we foresee Macís teams going 8-4, 9-3, 10-2 (dare I say 11-1)? Better yet, does Jamie Pollard foresee Macís teams having this kind of success?

This school has shown Mac a lot of loyalty. Not many head coaches get to keep their jobs after going 13-42 in 5 years. And Mac has paid back with some loyalty of his own. Not many football coaches stick around Ames after a couple of winning seasons.

Mac has done great things for our football program. Check that Ė Mac has done things for our program that were unbelievable! For that alone, I will always admire Dan McCarney.

But is Dan the coach for our future? CLONE2THEBONE has already cast his vote. For now, I will keep this question in the back of my mind as I watch each game this year. Rest assured, Jamie Pollard is wrestling with this one as well.

BillyClone

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 225

Re: McCarney's Future

This is a very, very tough situation to discuss. We are all frustrated right now with the football team's performance, ecpecially after the poor showing against Iowa. We have seen the same situations arise in big games, by situations, I mean the lack of putting teams away, or playing not to lose instead of to win. I am starting to lose faith in this coaching staff when it comes to learning from past mistakes. We seem to be making the same decisions over and over, especially when it comes to crunch time. We have seen this happen 3 times this season already! Pollard wants this team to be second to none, wants to expand the football stadium, wants to sell more tickets, etc., etc. Is this going to happen with the way the team has performed in big games in the past, and already this season? That's the million dollar question that falls squarely on McCarney's shoulders. If he doesn't figure it out, or change philosophies, I don't think he will be around much longer. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we figure this out soon, or this season may be a wash by the mid-point.

Go Cyclones!!

Walk On
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 592
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Dan McCarney is one of classiest college football coaches in the business. He's good to Iowa State, he's good to his team, he's good to his supporting cast, he's good to the fans.

This is a process, as everyone should have figured out by now....getting the Cyclones to the next level. McCarney is a defensive coach and does a fantastic job on defense. As we all know, defense wins ball games or in our case over the last few years has consistently put us in position to win ball games. This year, we have started winning our fair share of the close games.

Until our athletic budget comes anywhere in the vicinity of the middle of the pack in the Big XII, I'll be proud of every Cyclone team headed by Dan McCarney that fights and scrapes for 7-5 and a lower tier bowl game. I say that ONLY because I know in the midst of those 7-5 seasons, there will be a BCS bowl game that will put us on the map for good.

I say keep McCarney as long as he is willing to put up with this nonsense from his so called "fans". Because as soon as McCarney leaves, we start over rebuilding everything that we've accomplished over the last 12 years. Building a football tradition is not done overnight, and not over 12 years. It's done over decades. I for one, am not ready to suffer through 1-2 win seasons again.

Go State!!!

Walk On
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jay moe View Post
    This is a very, very tough situation to discuss. We are all frustrated right now with the football team's performance, ecpecially after the poor showing against Iowa. We have seen the same situations arise in big games, by situations, I mean the lack of putting teams away, or playing not to lose instead of to win. I am starting to lose faith in this coaching staff when it comes to learning from past mistakes. We seem to be making the same decisions over and over, especially when it comes to crunch time. We have seen this happen 3 times this season already! Pollard wants this team to be second to none, wants to expand the football stadium, wants to sell more tickets, etc., etc. Is this going to happen with the way the team has performed in big games in the past, and already this season? That's the million dollar question that falls squarely on McCarney's shoulders. If he doesn't figure it out, or change philosophies, I don't think he will be around much longer. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we figure this out soon, or this season may be a wash by the mid-point.
    Poor showing against Iowa??? We lost the game, but the last thing that I would call this is a poor showing. We got outplayed in the second half, but can we continue to build on our performance in the first half? Absolutely. Let's be smart here people!

Go State!!!

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I think these long winded diatribes about Dan McCarney show up on every Cyclone message board on a weekly basis. The fact is he's our coach and will be for the foreseeable future. Pollard was on teh call in show Monday night and basically said we just need to keep going to bowl games. We'll continue to do that. What it all boils down to for us fans, we need to rally behind our coach and team, give money and show up for games.

Walk On
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Amen to that!!!

Go State!!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 607

After three games, it is evident we need to improve the offense even though our running game is better. Must mean the passing game has gone downhill. Whose fault is that? Probably too many non productive passes. Too many drops after contact. No YAC is a telling statistic. We habve been bad oin yards after catch. This means we are not on the move when we catch it. I would like to see 400 yards of offense just once....say 150 yards ruching and 250 passing. If we cannot get above 325 yards it will be a long season in the prolific Big 12.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 356

Can't we let the entire season play out? New posts by the hour about Dan's job are really getting old...regardless of what side of the fence you're on.

Walk On
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 246
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I guess that was my point. I'm going to be watching the games this year hoping that everything works out well in the end, but mindful that Mac is being scrutinized as to whether he should be the coach of the future.

My own hope is that Coach Mac can take this program to bigger and better things. Otherwise, like Jay Moe said, the Cyclone community will be in a very, very tough situation.

In retrospect, I probably should have refrained from posting this mid-season. I'm sure there will be plenty of time to discuss in the off-season. Thanks for pointing that out CyFarmer and ISUFan22.

No more coaching posts from me until February.

BillyClone

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Yes, it was a poor showing against Iowa. We did nothing in the second half, except the first drive, against Iowa on offense. It was the same in our previous two games. I see a pattern here, and until we get it figured out, we will not win the big games! I do concur with the rest of you though, going to bowl games is a lot more fun than the way it was in the past. I was just hoping we could get past a 7-5 seson and make some noise this year. It's not too late for this season, but we need to start playing better soon!!

Go Cyclones!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,308
    Given: 264

All I see is BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!!

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I am a realist when it comes to supporting the Cyclones. Always have been. I have supported them thorugh the horrible years of the 80's and 90's, and was elated when we hired coach Mac. I enjoy the bowl games, the chance to win a Big XII title year in and year out, but I am not going to sit back and pretend everything is rosey! We need to improve, and so far this season, I have not seen it. I hope it happens and we start seeing a different team in the next few games!

Go Cyclones!!