Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 210
  1. #76
    Legend
    Points: 267,058, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,198
    Points
    267,058
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 586
    Given: 147

    Re: Nealy arrested for a noise complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Being detained and being arrested are two different things.
    Should of worded that differently. Again, not an expert, but I believe being arrested means your civil liberties are taken away, even of its only for a few minutes. So while you are waiting on the side of the road while the cop writes you a ticket, you're under arrest. So if Neely was placed in the back of a cop car while he got his ticket, he was "arrested"

    I could be way wrong, however.


    Last edited by chuckd4735; 04-10-2014 at 01:46 PM.

  2. #77
    Addict
    Points: 97,212, Level: 97
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,838
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Schaumburg, IL
    Posts
    5,956
    Points
    97,212
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 43

    Re: Nealy arrested for a noise complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    If being loud led to arrests, my neighbor would be in Fort Leavenworth.

    Every guy I know who owns a Harley Davidson should be there too then.



  3. #78
    Pro
    Points: 60,179, Level: 76
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,471
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BigLame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western IA
    Posts
    2,652
    Points
    60,179
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 107

    Re: Nealy arrested for a noise complaint

    Party On, Devondrick. Party On...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KISS.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	26170


    “I heard that Snooki, Pauly D and The Situation will each make $5 million for this season’s ‘Jersey Shore.’ It just goes to show that if you put your mind to something and work hard, you’re wasting your time.” -- Jimmy Fallon

  4. #79
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 94,499, Level: 95
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ribsnwhiskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    4,173
    Points
    94,499
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 522
    Given: 119

    Re: Nealy arrested for a noise complaint

    ROGUE PROGRAM!!!



  5. #80
    Legend
    Points: 138,058, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    10,342
    Points
    138,058
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 365
    Given: 335

    Re: Nealy arrested for a noise complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Should of worded that differently. Again, not an expert, but I believe being arrested means your civil liberties are taken away, even of its only for a few minutes. So while you are waiting on the side of the road while the cop writes you a ticket, you're under arrest. So if Neely was placed in the back of a cop car while he got his ticket, he was "arrested"
    Every person who is arrested ends up in handcuffs in the back of a cop car. But not every person who ends up in handcuffs in the back of a cop car has been arrested.

    In other words, being in the back of a cop car does not mean either for sure. I believe in this case he was arrested and taken to Story City though (per tweets from Legesse)


    Last edited by Judoka; 04-10-2014 at 01:50 PM.

  6. #81
    Addict
    Points: 192,605, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Bret44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hampton, IA
    Posts
    8,265
    Points
    192,605
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,064
    Given: 626

    Re: Nealy arrested for a noise complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Every person who is arrested ends up in handcuffs in the back of a cop car. But not every person who ends up in handcuffs in the back of a cop car has been arrested.

    In other words, being in the back of a cop car does not mean either for sure. I believe in this case he was arrested and taken to Story City though (per treats from Legesse)
    How does one get these treats???


    “They're very, very hard to guard,” Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey said. “They're really good. And with Niang in the middle kind of wheeling and all those guys spreading you out, they're kind of a nightmare matchup. And they're men. They're really men.”


  7. #82
    Speechless
    Points: 646,586, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,783
    Points
    646,586
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,445
    Given: 135

    Re: Nealy arrested for a noise complaint

    Cops were clearly going to have a no tolerance attitude after the other night. You want to be an ******* to cops asking you to stop doing something rather than giving you a ticket or worse immediately? On the night after a riot? That's a bold move.



  8. #83
    Starter
    Points: 15,711, Level: 38
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 739
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    jkclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    998
    Points
    15,711
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 138

    Re: Nealy arrested for a noise complaint

    Was he an idiot for not complying? Yes
    Should he have turned his music down? YEs


    I'm not going to deny that. There comes a point where someone has to take the high road though. Should we expect our student athletes to be able to take the high road? Yes we should, but I expect a Police Officer to do that first.

    I don't know what 80 db are supposed to sound like or anything, but this is what should have happened if it was really that loud. They should get a warning, then a ticket, and then finally if they still haven't complied it is fine to arrest someone. Nealy should have stopped immediately and he should receive punishment for not stopping yes. The police need to realize the situation and recognize that there isn't a good relationship between them and students. That means that they have to be extra careful and lenient.



  9. #84
    Legend
    Points: 346,629, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    ISUCubswin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    My Playhouse
    Posts
    11,395
    Points
    346,629
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 837
    Given: 430

    Re: Nealy arrested for a noise complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    Cops were clearly going to have a no tolerance attitude after the other night. You want to be an ******* to cops asking you to stop doing something rather than giving you a ticket or worse immediately? On the night after a riot? That's a bold move.


    CF Big Brother Winner Season 1

    CF Amazing Race Winner Season 1*

    Future CF Survivor Winner Season 4


  10. #85
    Starter
    Points: 13,159, Level: 34
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    642
    Points
    13,159
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 198

    Re: Nealy arrested for a noise complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by jkclone View Post
    Was he an idiot for not complying? Yes
    Should he have turned his music down? YEs


    I'm not going to deny that. There comes a point where someone has to take the high road though. Should we expect our student athletes to be able to take the high road? Yes we should, but I expect a Police Officer to do that first.

    I don't know what 80 db are supposed to sound like or anything, but this is what should have happened if it was really that loud. They should get a warning, then a ticket, and then finally if they still haven't complied it is fine to arrest someone. Nealy should have stopped immediately and he should receive punishment for not stopping yes. The police need to realize the situation and recognize that there isn't a good relationship between them and students. That means that they have to be extra careful and lenient.
    I agree with about everything in there. Except I don't quite understand the order of progression. Letting one off without a ticket and just a warning isn't an automatic - by any stretch. My bank account says as much due to the tickets I've received. So Nealy should've been counting his good fortune that he didn't get a $50/100/200 ticket (whatever it is) the first time around. Plenty of people get ticketed right off.

    So I have to disagree on that front. He was warned. Ticket or not.

    And I'll defer the particular importance of this violation, what else APD had to do that night, etc and so on.

    But in the end - he just needed to comply, and the first time.



  11. #86
    All-Star
    Points: 37,303, Level: 59
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 547
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Me State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Altoona
    Posts
    1,825
    Points
    37,303
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 0

    Re: Nealy arrested for a noise complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by jkclone View Post
    Was he an idiot for not complying? Yes
    Should he have turned his music down? YEs


    I'm not going to deny that. There comes a point where someone has to take the high road though. Should we expect our student athletes to be able to take the high road? Yes we should, but I expect a Police Officer to do that first.

    I don't know what 80 db are supposed to sound like or anything, but this is what should have happened if it was really that loud. They should get a warning, then a ticket, and then finally if they still haven't complied it is fine to arrest someone. Nealy should have stopped immediately and he should receive punishment for not stopping yes. The police need to realize the situation and recognize that there isn't a good relationship between them and students. That means that they have to be extra careful and lenient.
    They warned him to turn it down 4 times. He was being a dick and eventually got what he earned.



  12. #87
    Legend
    Points: 151,300, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    10,649
    Points
    151,300
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 309
    Given: 354

    Re: Nealy arrested for a noise complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Nobody is saying that he deserved to get arrested, or that they are glad he did, or that he should be kicked from the team. But he was not complying with multiple complaint requests, so I get why the police felt it appropriate to escalate.
    Contradictory.

    The appropriate escalation is to write a ticket. There is absolutely no need to escalate it to an arrest prior to a ticket. We could eliminate jaywalking if it was worth the cost. The PD better be careful with this type of quick-trigger escalation mindset. Lawsuits, if not worse externalities, usually follow.



  13. #88
    Legend
    Points: 212,690, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Rabbuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,134
    Points
    212,690
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 905
    Given: 49

    Re: Nealy arrested for a noise complaint

    After things like riots, the police make people into examples so that people are less likely to test them. A football player being arrested on a noise complaint is going to hit a lot of ears. Make people think twice.



  14. #89
    Legend
    Points: 151,300, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    10,649
    Points
    151,300
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 309
    Given: 354

    Re: Nealy arrested for a noise complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    Cops were clearly going to have a no tolerance attitude after the other night. You want to be an ******* to cops asking you to stop doing something rather than giving you a ticket or worse immediately? On the night after a riot? That's a bold move.
    Please. From listening to the scanner, he very well could have turned it down, just not enough. The only *** was the cop hung-up on the blue suburban.



  15. #90
    square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Points: 495,176, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Angie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    17,569
    Points
    495,176
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 718
    Given: 2,848

    Re: Nealy arrested for a noise complaint

    Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Contradictory.

    The appropriate escalation is to write a ticket. There is absolutely no need to escalate it to an arrest prior to a ticket. We could eliminate jaywalking if it was worth the cost. The PD better be careful with this type of quick-trigger escalation mindset. Lawsuits, if not worse externalities, usually follow.
    The cop could have ticketed him (and made him spent a hundy or however much it is) the first FOUR times they warned him. I'm going to guess that each of those FOUR times that they let him know that it was his last warning, or that they were being quicker on the trigger last night, etc. When he continued to act entitled to listen to his music however he wanted despite the law, they acted within their rights as officers. None of us know how the conversations went, if he was mouthy, etc.


    M 7/09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM