Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,816
    Given: 1,524

Re: Cheick Diallo

Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    You write in a manor which is very, much like you are patting Iowa State on the head and just imparting wisdom on stupid little Iowa State. Only a Kansas fan like you is intelligent enough to tell Fred Hoiberg how to run his program. You could probably get a hold of Hoiberg's email address and email him all of your suggestions. I bet he is just waiting for a genius like you to tell him exactly what he should do.I'd say that based on your posting history on here since january you already consider Iowa State a rival. I think Fred is already doing a pretty good job getting Kansas fans to think of us as a rival. And all of this even though he's only beaten you guys twice in 10 tries. Of course, we all know that he actually beat Kansas 3 times. But still....you are so threatend by him that you feel the need to tell him how to be better.
    You're really working hard to be upset about those posts. Probably too hard.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,134
    Given: 56

If we did a Midnight madness, all that would happen would be the students wouldn't show up, the old people wouldn't stand and would leave with two minutes left, the Clone Cones would be smaller than usual and they wouldn't turn the lights down during introductions. Did I miss anything?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,763
    Given: 435

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    If we did a Midnight madness, all that would happen would be the students wouldn't show up, the old people wouldn't stand and would leave with two minutes left, the Clone Cones would be smaller than usual and they wouldn't turn the lights down during introductions. Did I miss anything?

JP won't let us have beer...you forgot that.

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 260
    Given: 337

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
    harder to find open weekends once a recruit's season starts, but main reason is no basketball games before November signing period opens. If he waits until spring to sign then it's a different story. Conflicting reports as to whether he's a spring or fall signee. other obvious reason is weather in fall is much nicer and thus campus more appealing.
    Thank you for highlighting why a huge, arena filling event in mid-October to celebrate the kick off of practice is such a huge recruiting opportunity. Two Class of '15 Top 10 recruits have already booked their visits to Kansas for Late Night (Bragg, Zimmerman) and I'll bet a few more do as well. Recruits don't care about weather. Recruits don't care about football. They care about coaches, systems, facilities, playing time, distance to home and likely teammates. I have never in my life heard a guy say he chose to go to play basketball at a school because of the great turnout at a football game or the weather.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    You write in a manor which is very, much like you are patting Iowa State on the head and just imparting wisdom on stupid little Iowa State. Only a Kansas fan like you is intelligent enough to tell Fred Hoiberg how to run his program. You could probably get a hold of Hoiberg's email address and email him all of your suggestions. I bet he is just waiting for a genius like you to tell him exactly what he should do.I'd say that based on your posting history on here since january you already consider Iowa State a rival. I think Fred is already doing a pretty good job getting Kansas fans to think of us as a rival. And all of this even though he's only beaten you guys twice in 10 tries. Of course, we all know that he actually beat Kansas 3 times. But still....you are so threatend by him that you feel the need to tell him how to be better.
    "But still....you are so threatend by him that you feel the need to tell him how to be better." Just read this post over and over and picture me shaking my head at my desk as you read it. I am "so threatened by Hoiberg" that I am trying to call ISU fans to action to help improve their program. That would officially be the DUMBEST thing that a person genuinely threatened by someone could possibly do. "Hi, mugger. You're really huge and scary and look like you want to kill me. Here, take this big stick so that it is easier to accomplish!" Brilliant. I think you are letting your assumptions about me and KU fans in general cloud your ability for rational thought. Do you think that a Late Night event would benefit ISU basketball or not? If yes, then take action as a fan and see if you can get it to happen. If it doesn't, no harm done. You're out a few hours of your time. There really isn't a ton that we, as fans, can do to truly help our team other than show up and shell out ridiculous sums of money to support our teams. This is something that CAN be done.

Rookie
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 349
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by twocoach View Post
    Thank you for highlighting why a huge, arena filling event in mid-October to celebrate the kick off of practice is such a huge recruiting opportunity. Two Class of '15 Top 10 recruits have already booked their visits to Kansas for Late Night (Bragg, Zimmerman) and I'll bet a few more do as well. Recruits don't care about weather. Recruits don't care about football. They care about coaches, systems, facilities, playing time, distance to home and likely teammates. I have never in my life heard a guy say he chose to go to play basketball at a school because of the great turnout at a football game or the weather.
    no question about it, it works very, very well for kansas and kentucky. We tried it at Iowa State before and it was a huge dud. Does ku do their with women program at same time? that was part of the problem, IMO when we did it. they tried to do women at same event and the flow was just terrible.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
    no question about it, it works very, very well for kansas and kentucky. We tried it at Iowa State before and it was a huge dud. Does ku do their with women program at same time? that was part of the problem, IMO when we did it. they tried to do women at same event and the flow was just terrible.
    Yes, they have a bunch of different sports that are involved. Numerous sports come out of the floor for intros and both the men and the women do skits and practices.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesince78 View Post
    Or we could just change the title from Cheick Diallo to Tuco Mega Thread. Not sure the exact definition of a mega thread, but we're coming up on 800 posts and Tuco is leading the way as usual with 52 posts. 2nd highest poster is 36. I'll keep everyone apprised of the standings once we cross 1000. I have faith Tuco will widen the gap.
    What, you don't bust on CycloneErik for heavy posting? In 79 months he has had 55,077 posts. That's an average of 697 posts a month every month for 6+ years. My average is only at 335 a month in my 7 months here. I feel like I am dogging it a bit. I kid, I kid...

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,209
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 63

It used to work here, but I think it was Tim Floyd who did away with it because it counts against your sanctioned practices and he wanted to use it for actual practice and not a dunk show/party for the upcoming year. We've just left it that since.

Cyclone
    Iowa State became the Cyclones after they leveled Northwestern in 1895. As the Chicago Tribune (9/29/1895) noted:
    'Struck by a Cyclone
    It Comes from Iowa and Devastates Evanston Town'

Addict
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,290
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 50

Not sure how many schools do it, but I am guessing it also has something to do with ESPN. ESPN probably tells KU, UK and one of the Carolina schools to do it and they will rotate the TV coverage around to them. Great ploy for getting kids some national TV coverage and have some fun.

I would guess that if ESPN came to Iowa St about doing it, we would be having 3 point contests all night. Probably not too many dunk contests, since only a few players would be able to participate

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 4

The last few pages of this thread hurts my eye balls. A lot of arguing for no reason. This has turned into the typical anti-twocoach thread which is odd. I, for one, like to hear twocoach's opinion on things. I know twocoach has posted because there will be 2 pages of people attacking what twocoach has said. Enough, this kind of behavior just isn't the ISU way. I thought we were a down to earth fan base that was nice and accepting of others? When did we become like Hawkeye fans?

"Die rebel scum" - Paul Rhoads

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,636
    Given: 843

So, how bout that Cheick Diallo guy? Have we offered him yet?

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Football is just a stupid game. Who cares who has the better football team. It's just a game.

Rookie
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 97

Quote Originally Posted by twocoach View Post
    I understand your point. It would be silly for a basketball recruit to cite a football game as one reason he chose a school for basketball, but it certainly can have an impact, especially at ISU where the football team isn't good. It showcases the love the fans have for ISU athletics, and it is an impressive environment to be in. The sales pitch would go something like, 'hey Cheick, we're always talking about the how ISU has the best fans in the country and how much support you'll receive in Ames. You can see how crazy they are for a team that isn't expected to win a single Big XII football game. Imagine the support you'll get on a Final 4 contending team. Imagine this same atmosphere cheering for you in Kansas City for the Big XII tourney, etc, etc, etc...' That's type of stuff is the value of bringing b-ball recruit to a football game.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Hard View Post
    It used to work here, but I think it was Tim Floyd who did away with it because it counts against your sanctioned practices and he wanted to use it for actual practice and not a dunk show/party for the upcoming year. We've just left it that since.
    With the new rule changes, teams get 42 days (used to only be 4 weeks) before the start of the season to get in their 30 practices. There's plenty of practice time to be had and more recovery time in between practices so coaches can push to get more done during their practice time. No need to sweat what works out to be about 20-30 minutes of practicing/scrimmaging. The rest of the event is just goofing off and doesn't count as practice time.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneZone13 View Post
    I understand your point. It would be silly for a basketball recruit to cite a football game as one reason he chose a school for basketball, but it certainly can have an impact, especially at ISU where the football team isn't good. It showcases the love the fans have for ISU athletics, and it is an impressive environment to be in. The sales pitch would go something like, 'hey Cheick, we're always talking about the how ISU has the best fans in the country and how much support you'll receive in Ames. You can see how crazy they are for a team that isn't expected to win a single Big XII football game. Imagine the support you'll get on a Final 4 contending team. Imagine this same atmosphere cheering for you in Kansas City for the Big XII tourney, etc, etc, etc...' That's type of stuff is the value of bringing b-ball recruit to a football game.
    Then two weeks later he goes to Late Night at Kansas and a week after that to Big Blue Madness at Kentucky and doesn't have to imagine anything; he would be seeing it and experiencing it. I am not saying an ISu football game provides NO value, it just doesn't have the bang of a Late Night event. Yes, going to a full football game is better than nothing but I don't think anyone would legitimately say that it would be better than going to a packed house full of crazy ISU fans in Hilton getting loud watching their team carry on and do a little scrimmaging. Kelly Oubre barely make it home from his Late Night visit before he committed to Kansas. He called and cancelled his visit to Kentucky and committed a few days later. Alexander was also at Late Night and decided to commit then but didn't announce until his birthday a month later. These events are HUGE for recruiting and ISU could easily put on an impressive showing with their great fan base as revved up for ISU basketball as they are.