SoS for 2014
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 63

Thread: SoS for 2014

  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 14,557, Level: 36
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    cycophagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    500
    Points
    14,557
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 154

    SoS for 2014

    ISU football's strength of schedule for season 123 will once again be among the elite, as it has been during the entire Rhode's era. This could be the most difficult ever. Posistive factors, though, are the 7 home games, versus 5 away games on the schedule, in addition to 2 well spaced bye weeks.

    Here is Phil Steele's compilation using the traditional NCAA method, which accounts only for opponent's previous season W/L's.:
    http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2014/MAR14/DBMar15.html

    ISU's schedule, #7 overall, is strongest of all Big 12 schools. OU's, #93, is the lowest. Their oppoents were actually sub .500 last year, as are the I-Hawks, whose schedule comes in at #85.

    Interesting note: Dan McCarney's Green Machine will no doubt continue their ascension to prominence versus the #127 schedule, even though it includes a road trip to Austin.

    Here is another view from SB Nation, ranking only the non-conference schedules:
    http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...les-best-worst

    ISU's schedule rank's #2 overall, trailing only Texas. 3-peat FCS champ NDSU, 4-0 versus the FBS in recent years, is no doubt a big reason for that.

    Interesting note: Four Missouri Valley teams are including in the top 10 strongest slates of opponents. Again, these are strictly about W/L's from last year, but it is still something you would not expect.



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 180,708, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,956
    Points
    180,708
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 887

    Re: SoS for 2014

    Who is this Rhode's?




    Part of this fanbase is like the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

    Who knew?


  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 35,914, Level: 58
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 736
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sigmapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,145
    Points
    35,914
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 239
    Given: 25

    Re: SoS for 2014

    Every year (in perpetuity right now) we are going to have...

    Round-robin with 9/10 in the Big XII
    Iowa
    UNI/MVC team
    Somebody else from a Division 1-A low-level conference, typically a MAC team

    We might as well get used to this.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 57,259, Level: 74
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,291
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pulse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,818
    Points
    57,259
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 78

    Re: SoS for 2014

    Our strength of schedule is seriously the biggest non-story of all time. Life in our conference dating back to the Big 8.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,962, Level: 73
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    4,515
    Points
    56,962
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 745
    Given: 343

    Re: SoS for 2014

    I wish the Big 12 would schedule one conference game for each team at a neutral site every season. That way every team would have the same number of home and away conference games.



  6. #6
    Rookie
    Points: 14,748, Level: 36
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    520
    Points
    14,748
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 2

    Re: SoS for 2014

    Toughest from Hardest to Easiest

    1) OU........Not going to win this one. Too many reasons to list
    2) Texas....Not going to win this one. New excitement and toughness at Texas
    3) OSU......Highly unlikely. Too many athletes
    4) Iowa.....Highly unlikely. Too strong in the trenches
    5) TCU......Unlikely but not improbable. Can they find a QB that can throw a forward pass?
    6) TTech....Unlikely but not improbable. Tech's offense is going to be very good
    7) Baylor.....Unlikely but not improbable. Baylor still has a ton of speed
    8) KSU.......Possible. KSU has ISU's # but worst KSU since Snyder has been back
    9) WVU......Possible. Home game. 20 degrees out. Thinking Kansas '13 game all over
    10) NDSU....Probable. Lost some key starters and the head man himself. Loras coach beat ISU? Nope
    11) Kansas..Probable. KU wasn't good last year and won't be better this year.
    12) Toledo...Probable. Toledo won't be as bad as some might hope, but ISU doesn't lose to MAC at home



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 19,266, Level: 42
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 584
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Grimes
    Posts
    1,229
    Points
    19,266
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 13

    Re: SoS for 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Istate View Post
    Toughest from Hardest to Easiest

    1) OU........Not going to win this one. Too many reasons to list
    2) Texas....Not going to win this one. New excitement and toughness at Texas
    3) OSU......Highly unlikely. Too many athletes
    4) Iowa.....Highly unlikely. Too strong in the trenches
    5) TCU......Unlikely but not improbable. Can they find a QB that can throw a forward pass?
    6) TTech....Unlikely but not improbable. Tech's offense is going to be very good
    7) Baylor.....Unlikely but not improbable. Baylor still has a ton of speed
    8) KSU.......Possible. KSU has ISU's # but worst KSU since Snyder has been back
    9) WVU......Possible. Home game. 20 degrees out. Thinking Kansas '13 game all over
    10) NDSU....Probable. Lost some key starters and the head man himself. Loras coach beat ISU? Nope
    11) Kansas..Probable. KU wasn't good last year and won't be better this year.
    12) Toledo...Probable. Toledo won't be as bad as some might hope, but ISU doesn't lose to MAC at home
    Injuries at the end of the year will cost us two of these wins. out of the 5 possible's - that will end up being 2-3 wins for next season. Hope Im wrong



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 408,001, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    61,076
    Points
    408,001
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 876
    Given: 608

    Re: SoS for 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by cycophagus View Post
    ISU football's strength of schedule for season 123 will once again be among the elite, as it has been during the entire Rhode's era. This could be the most difficult ever. Posistive factors, though, are the 7 home games, versus 5 away games on the schedule, in addition to 2 well spaced bye weeks.

    Here is Phil Steele's compilation using the traditional NCAA method, which accounts only for opponent's previous season W/L's.:
    http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2014/MAR14/DBMar15.html

    ISU's schedule, #7 overall, is strongest of all Big 12 schools. OU's, #93, is the lowest. Their oppoents were actually sub .500 last year, as are the I-Hawks, whose schedule comes in at #85.

    Interesting note: Dan McCarney's Green Machine will no doubt continue their ascension to prominence versus the #127 schedule, even though it includes a road trip to Austin.

    Here is another view from SB Nation, ranking only the non-conference schedules:
    http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...les-best-worst

    ISU's schedule rank's #2 overall, trailing only Texas. 3-peat FCS champ NDSU, 4-0 versus the FBS in recent years, is no doubt a big reason for that.

    Interesting note: Four Missouri Valley teams are including in the top 10 strongest slates of opponents. Again, these are strictly about W/L's from last year, but it is still something you would not expect.
    Cue lake Bison.....


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Points: 14,557, Level: 36
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    cycophagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    500
    Points
    14,557
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 115
    Given: 154

    Re: SoS for 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    I wish the Big 12 would schedule one conference game for each team at a neutral site every season. That way every team would have the same number of home and away conference games.
    I recall this is coach Rhoad's () opinion as well. Commish Bowlsby said that the same issue in the Pac 10 just could not be solved, so I doubt he will would push it.

    Farmageddon @ Arrowhead was awesome. Do you suppose KU would agree to a 2 year deal there?



  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 7,333, Level: 25
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 217
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    773
    Points
    7,333
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 19

    Re: SoS for 2014

    ...the schedule's not that daunting if ISU had some decent talent.

    So, it's going to be daunting for them.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 81,504, Level: 88
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 446
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Erik4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    7,391
    Points
    81,504
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 221

    Re: SoS for 2014

    Why are we not scheduling like Iowa does?

    Toledo is as bad as it gets..

    Where is Tennessee Tech when you need them?



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 48,770, Level: 68
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 980
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bostrem00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    2,810
    Points
    48,770
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 27

    Re: SoS for 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by madguy30 View Post
    ...the schedule's not that daunting if ISU had some decent talent.

    So, it's going to be daunting for them.
    Isn't that the annual preseason story?



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 91,205, Level: 93
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    mtowncyclone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7,364
    Points
    91,205
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 978
    Given: 696

    Re: SoS for 2014

    How can two teams that both play round Robin in same conference be 90 spots apart?



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 45,486, Level: 65
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BBHMagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,793
    Points
    45,486
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208
    Given: 388

    Re: SoS for 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by madguy30 View Post
    ...the schedule's not that daunting if ISU had some decent talent.

    So, it's going to be daunting for them.
    The 7th toughest schedule isn't daunting? Are you high or not good at math?


    Cy has balls of steel.

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 80,935, Level: 88
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    huntt26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    po' dUnk
    Posts
    8,063
    Points
    80,935
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 275
    Given: 54

    Re: SoS for 2014

    No offense, but even if we had an easy schedule I don't think we'd win many games either



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Mediacom 22
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Drake
  • December 20, 2014
  • 04:00 PM