Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Results 166 to 179 of 179
  1. #166
    Pro
    Points: 26,512, Level: 49
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,600
    Points
    26,512
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 117

    Re: UConn - Mich St.

    Quote Originally Posted by storrsroars View Post
    ... We lost in a FF to MSU that was played in Detroit...Now go book us for a home-and-home, ok?
    The home court issue with ISU fans is not about this tourney. It's about playing MSU in the Elite Eight in Auburn Hills when the top seeds did win.
    I would love to see UConn come to Hilton. Our two coaches are buddies, so maybe it will happen.

    And... nobody remembers the George Mason game.


    Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

  2. #167
    All-Star
    Points: 26,953, Level: 50
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    kentkel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grinnell
    Posts
    1,217
    Points
    26,953
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 317

    Re: UConn - Mich St.

    Quote Originally Posted by storrsroars View Post
    For all the hubbub about home court, it happens. In our 2011 NC drive we had to win two games in Anaheim, one vs SDSU, the other vs. Arizona. We lost in a FF to MSU that was played in Detroit.

    And I'm sure anyone who follows college hoops remembers UConn made George Mason's rep by losing to them as a 1 seed. That game was in DC, about 50 miles from their campus.

    It happens. It's not a conspiracy. If the top seeds do what they're supposed to, these things don't happen.

    If you're gonna complain about anything, complain as to why UConn was a 7 seed to begin with. We're delighted that we were, but honestly should've been a 5 and who knows what would've happened then.

    And yeah, Giffey was stone cold today from 3 despite wide open looks. If he's on it's a very different game. First game he's been cold like that since probably Louisville.

    Now go book us for a home-and-home, ok?
    Not complaining or claiming a conspiracy in regards to the UConn game at all. I am just GLAD that MSU had to play in an Elite8 game against an opponent playing a "home" game. Our E8 game in 2000, well that is a SORE spot for most of our fan base and the crazy reffing after Izzo pulled a hissy-fit toward the end of the game with us up about 7pts. The home crowd and Izzo's antics really helped the Refs serve up some home-cookin'. Our game with you guys was a well-officiated game, and you guys proved to be better that night - props to your team!
    Also in regards to home court advantage, I look back in '86 when we got to play Mich in the round of 32 in Minneapolis. That certainly played a factor in helping us win that game over 2-seeded Maize & Blue.
    As for the remaining teams in the FF this year...Go UConn - hope you guys take out the rest!


    Utah Utes, Illinois Illini. The University of Pennsylvania thought about following this pattern by calling themselves the Pennsylvania Pencils. However, they were afraid their students would start chanting "We're No. 2"

  3. #168
    All-Star
    Points: 23,869, Level: 47
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 681
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    HGPuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,137
    Points
    23,869
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 0

    Re: UConn - Mich St.

    Here is the reason Cyclone fans are sensitive about it:
    2014 UConn at MSG
    2013 Ohio State at Dayton
    2012 Kentucky at Louisville
    2005 North Carolina at Charlotte
    2000 Michigan State at Auburn Hills
    Quote Originally Posted by storrsroars View Post
    For all the hubbub about home court, it happens. In our 2011 NC drive we had to win two games in Anaheim, one vs SDSU, the other vs. Arizona. We lost in a FF to MSU that was played in Detroit.

    And I'm sure anyone who follows college hoops remembers UConn made George Mason's rep by losing to them as a 1 seed. That game was in DC, about 50 miles from their campus.

    It happens. It's not a conspiracy. If the top seeds do what they're supposed to, these things don't happen.

    If you're gonna complain about anything, complain as to why UConn was a 7 seed to begin with. We're delighted that we were, but honestly should've been a 5 and who knows what would've happened then.

    And yeah, Giffey was stone cold today from 3 despite wide open looks. If he's on it's a very different game. First game he's been cold like that since probably Louisville.

    Now go book us for a home-and-home, ok?


    When all is said and done, more is said than done

  4. #169
    Addict
    Points: 107,215, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    mtowncyclone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,667
    Points
    107,215
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 715
    Given: 422

    Re: UConn - Mich St.

    College ball is simple. We beat both Michigan State and uconn at hilton. We lose both on the road. These were road games. I'm satisfied.



  5. #170
    All-Star
    Points: 17,956, Level: 40
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,085
    Points
    17,956
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 206
    Given: 169

    Re: UConn - Mich St.

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    College ball is simple. We beat both Michigan State and uconn at hilton. We lose both on the road. These were road games. I'm satisfied.
    I get what you're saying, but MSU lost 4 times at home this year.



  6. #171
    Addict
    Points: 157,492, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Cycl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Liberty
    Posts
    6,582
    Points
    157,492
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 3

    Re: UConn - Mich St.

    Still undefeated at neutral sites.



  7. #172
    Pro
    Points: 43,652, Level: 64
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,986
    Points
    43,652
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 0

    Re: UConn - Mich St.

    UCONN has looked very good since their first round game. I think the key has been Daniels excellent play bc Napier is always going to get his but Daniels has looked like a Pro recently.
    With their three point shooting they can beat anyone. But I think Florida pulls it off in a low scoring battle.

    Has anyone noticed the emphasis on calling fouls when players put hands and arms on players in the perimeter seems to have gone away for the most part?



  8. #173
    Prospect
    Points: 1,971, Level: 12
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    12
    Points
    1,971
    Level
    12
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: UConn - Mich St.

    Quote Originally Posted by cygrads View Post
    Nice to play two home games - can't underestimate the value of sleeping, eating and everything else at home while your opponents are playing a true road game.
    FWIW, UConn has had their share of tough beats over the years playing regionals in their opponent's home state:

    Florida in Florida, Texas in Texas, UNC in N.C., UCLA in California and Maryland in D.C. to name a few. They paid enough dues to have a favorable draw.



  9. #174
    Speechless
    Points: 651,228, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    24,576
    Points
    651,228
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,119
    Given: 229

    Re: UConn - Mich St.

    Dom Amore @AmoreCourant
    Follow

    Izzo said he called time with 6 seconds left so #uconnmen fans could enjoy moment. ... Very classy, gracious in post game interview.



  10. #175
    Pro
    Points: 74,442, Level: 84
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    Points
    74,442
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

    Re: UConn - Mich St.

    Quote Originally Posted by Waquoit View Post
    FWIW, UConn has had their share of tough beats over the years playing regionals in their opponent's home state:

    Florida in Florida, Texas in Texas, UNC in N.C., UCLA in California and Maryland in D.C. to name a few. They paid enough dues to have a favorable draw.
    You earn that during the regular season. A seven seed should never have that advantage. That was a bad job by the committee.



  11. #176
    Pro
    Points: 26,512, Level: 49
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,600
    Points
    26,512
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 117

    Re: UConn - Mich St.

    Quote Originally Posted by HGPuck View Post
    Here is the reason Cyclone fans are sensitive about it:
    2014 UConn at MSG
    2013 Ohio State at Dayton
    2012 Kentucky at Louisville
    2005 North Carolina at Charlotte
    2000 Michigan State at Auburn Hills
    The 2000 game obviously sticks out in everyone's mind because of our shot at the title, but I didn't realize how many 'home' games we've had to play in the tourney.
    I talked with a MSU fan this morning who said that's just the way it is. I asked him how many games MSU has ever played in Ames, Iowa City, DSM, or Omaha.
    I don't know, but has the NCAA tourney ever been scheduled in those sites?


    Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

  12. #177
    Starter
    Points: 13,551, Level: 35
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 499
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    808
    Points
    13,551
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 3

    Re: UConn - Mich St.

    Quote Originally Posted by CTTB78 View Post
    The 2000 game obviously sticks out in everyone's mind because of our shot at the title, but I didn't realize how many 'home' games we've had to play in the tourney.
    I talked with a MSU fan this morning who said that's just the way it is. I asked him how many games MSU has ever played in Ames, Iowa City, DSM, or Omaha.
    I don't know, but has the NCAA tourney ever been scheduled in those sites?
    Not in recent history for Ames, DSM or Iowa City for sure. There are not enough hotel rooms near the arenas. That is why DSM is considering building an attached hotel to Wells Fargo. Pretty much can not get an NCAA bid without it.



  13. #178
    Speechless
    Points: 401,037, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    59,397
    Points
    401,037
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 627
    Given: 394

    Re: UConn - Mich St.

    Quote Originally Posted by andymhallman View Post
    UConn looked really good today, although they didn't shoot the three as well against MSU as they did against us.

    I'm not as confident as everyone else that we would have beaten UConn with Niang, and certainly not Michigan State with Niang. We lost seven games this year when Niang was on the floor. Michigan State was probably better than all of those teams (they're neck-and-neck with a healthy Kansas team).

    As the CBS analysts said, UConn's guards got up into Michigan State's guards and prevented them from running their offense. That's not how we play defense. We don't put a lot of pressure on the ball at all, so you can't assume we would have beaten Michigan State even with Niang. Heck, Wisconsin and Michigan are every bit as good as Iowa State and both of those teams bot blown out by a healthy Spartan team in the conference tournament.
    Georges would have had a big day against UCONN. Do not kid yourself.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  14. #179
    Pro
    Points: 26,512, Level: 49
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,600
    Points
    26,512
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 117

    Re: UConn - Mich St.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    Dom Amore @AmoreCourant
    Follow

    Izzo said he called time with 6 seconds left so #uconnmen fans could enjoy moment. ... Very classy, gracious in post game interview.
    I didn't hear it that way in his post game. I thought he said he "did not call a timeout so their fans could celebrate more, he called it so he could talk to his team about what they could learn for next year."

    Not to say Izzo wasn't good in his post game, he was. I thought he would have loved to say the UConn home game caused the pressure for all of MSUs 'out of body' TOs, but of course he couldn't. He's won too many home games in the NCAAs himself.


    Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM