Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 592
    Given: 362

Recipe for defeating the Longhorns

• Penalties. In the Rice game alone, Texas committed 19 penalties for 148 yards (27 for 215 on the year, ISU has 14 for 108). Few teams can overcome that, but we are talking about Texas vs. Rice here.
    • Stop the run. So far the 1-2 punch of Charles and Young has yielded 495 yards for the Longhorns. That’s some serious yardage. ISU has done very well vs. the run so far. This will be their biggest test of the season, bigger than Peterson.
    • Shut down Sweed. So far Sweed has 9 receptions for 164 yards and 3 TD’s. Next best past catcher is Young with 9 for 64. Take Sweed away from McCoy.
    • Disrupt McCoy. Looking at #3, that tells me one of two things – or both. A. McCoy either goes big to Sweed or checks down to a back or B. The Longhorns don’t have many pass catching options. I think it’s a little more of the latter, so we aught to be able to cover Sweed tight with safety help, lock a linebacker on Young and get after the QB.
    • Pass first, run second. The Texas defense is nasty, just plain nasty – the toughest we’ll face. They only allowed Ohio State 79 yards on the ground yet they did yield 269 yards in the air and 2 TD’s. I think Ohio State has a better running game that our Cyclones, so we should expect very little from Hicks on the ground. Go to the air early and often.
    • Protect the football. So far the Texas defense has only yielded 3 turnovers and they played the likes of North Texas and Rice. They had 0 takeaways vs. OSU, a fumble recovery vs. Rice and a fumble & INT vs North Texas. ISU, don’t be the team that gets the Longhorn defense going on turnovers. Only one INT for Texas? See #5.
    • More offense in the 2nd half, more first downs. Oddly enough, we’re 2nd in the Big 12 for 3rd down conversion percentage at 50% (Texas is at 41.4%) yet we’re 6th in first downs per game at 19.7 (Texas at 23). I think this relates to our 2nd half woes, so the offense needs to start and finish strong.
    • Make the pressure kick. I can only imagine that should we be in a position to win this game, Shaggy will need to make a pressure kick at some point in the game. Get that monkey off your back Shaggy!
    Please feel free to add to and rebut any of the items!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 592
    Given: 362

Re: Recipe for defeating the Longhorns

Uhhh...would we rather complain about our team/coaches or partake in an actual discussion about where the holes are in the Texas armor and how we can exploit them?

I'd hope the latter.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,319
    Given: 271

Everyone on these boards is doing exactly what I hope our team is not doing...dwelling on the past and still ****** off about losing to a better Iowa team. IMO, Texas is beatable this year. If our defense can presure McCoy and knock him out of his game a lil, I think we might be OK. I have nothing but confidence that our offense can run with these guys (i know everyone disagrees, but I know what they are capable of doing)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,217
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 68

Cotton not showing up to the game might get us some more points.

Prospect
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I would like to be lieve that that we can cover sweed tight and place a linebacker on young but the last three games have been tough. Picking up a back or even a tight end that releases has been this defenses main problem not to mention covering a reciever tight. If the coaches actually make this adjustment to cover the backs, tight end, and recievers I would be estatic. This would indicate that they can make adjustments. Most people are upset with the staff because of the lack of adjustments. Maybe when Smith comes back this may change but that is a lot of pressure to place on one man. As far as the offense two halves would be nice.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 676
    Given: 393

Some of the keys will be:

• Keep moving the football. We can't afford to have the defense on the field for 3/4 of the game.
    • Pass to setup the run. Texas has allowed 75 total rushing yards in 3 games.
    • No turnovers. We have been pretty good at this so far.
    • Fewer penalties. Numerous times during the Iowa game we would get 6-7 yards on a play and then the next play we'd get a false start basically negating the previous play.
    We really don't have anything to lose here. Let's go on the attack instead of the defensive this Saturday!

Oh yeah, I forgot the last key...Replace Mac with a cardboard cutout of Rocky Balboa (That guy can coach!)...

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I think if the team plays an entire game like the first half against Iowa we should at the very least be in the game at the end. Will Texas score points on our D? Sure, but can we score points on them? Of course....I think the flashes the offense showed in the first half against Iowa demonstrates what they're capable of. I know everyone has been ragging on the coaching and whatnot, but if they can put together an entire game I think Texas will be in trouble.

Obviously we don't have the talent level Texas does...but before last year no one thought of mentioning Mac Brown as one of the greatest coaches in America. A great recruiter? probably, but a great coach? Definitely not. GO STATE!

Starter
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think DeAndre on Sweed would be a good match-up to watch.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,177
    Given: 1,033

I think they absolutely need to get Meyer out of the pocket, fairly randomly, sometimes in the pocket, sometimes rolling left, sometimes right. A few draws here and there to keep them honest. We need a good mix of quick hitting passes along with several deep shots through the course of the game. I still love the play that starts looking like an option, with Meyer fading back to pass.

Defensively, a good mix of defenses, with some aggressive blitz calls to keep them from getting comfortable. I'm afraid Texas will score 40 or more on a soft bend but don't break defense. If the defense can keep them under 24 points, then it's possible to pull this one out.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I think they absolutely need to get Meyer out of the pocket, fairly randomly, sometimes in the pocket, sometimes rolling left, sometimes right. A few draws here and there to keep them honest. We need a good mix of quick hitting passes along with several deep shots through the course of the game. I still love the play that starts looking like an option, with Meyer fading back to pass.

Defensively, a good mix of defenses, with some aggressive blitz calls to keep them from getting comfortable. I'm afraid Texas will score 40 or more on a soft bend but don't break defense. If the defense can keep them under 24 points, then it's possible to pull this one out.
    I really think this is a game where a bend but don't break defense might help. Forcing Texas to sustain long drives and keeping them in front of us will keep the score lower I believe. Also, with the number of penalties they've had mixed with a young QB, there are going to be more 3rd and long downs in a bend but don't break mode. The key is not letting them convert every one.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 881
    Given: 614

1. LEGAL PROBLEMS You forgot one - hope that a couple Texas studs decide to hold up their local Burger King tomorrow night. Kick 'em while they are down.
    2. SIDE ATTRACTIONS Send Austin Flynn's girlfriend to the Texas sideline to toss around her poms poms and ask them if they would like to play with the "Houston Texans."
    3. PENALTIES/SPECIAL Punt the ball high and deep and kick off to the middle of the field and do not false start ever despite the crowd noise.
    4. SECRET WEAPON. Cancel the fourth quarter.
    5. REFS. Call in the suspended Oregon group and switch just before the game.

Last edited by Wesley; 09-21-2006 at 05:37 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

cyclONEnation
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 65

Quote Originally Posted by Bryceman View Post
    1. LEGAL PROBLEMS You forgot one - hope that a couple Texas studs decide to hold up their local Burger King tomorrow night. Kick 'em while they are down.
    2. SIDE ATTRACTIONS Send Austin Flynn's girlfriend to the Texas sideline to toss around her poms poms and ask them if they would like to play with the "Houston Texans."
    3. PENALTIES/SPECIAL Punt the ball high and deep and kick off to the middle of the field and do not false start ever despite the crowd noise.
    4. SECRET WEAPON. Cancel the fourth quarter.
    5. REFS. Call in the suspended Oregon group and switch just before the game.
    By George, I think you've got it...

Rookie
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Honestly I think we need to stay with in ourselves. Don't turn the ball over. No big penalties...ie roughing the passer/kicker, personal fouls. Get one or two BIG turnovers. One or two BIG plays. Just hang around. Pressure isn't on us. It's on Texas. Go Clones!

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

This is a game that noone feels like we have a chance, so why not go for it.
    Lets open up that playbook, throw the ball downfield, use the screen pass to backs and receivers, while mixing in the run to keep the defense honest. This puts a lot of pressure on the o-line, and Meyer, but they have played enough football at Iowa State they should be able to handle it.
    Keep the defense off balance, and see if we can move the ball effectively. That will take a lot of the pressure off the defense.
    On defense throw lots of looks at them, BLITZ BLITZ BLITZ. Give the freshman QB lots to think about.
    And if we turn the ball over, and give up the big play, WHO CARES. The last thing I want to see is what Nebraska did last Saturday.
    Lets hope that this can be a new beginning for Mac, and his staff. If you're gonna go down, at least go down swinging, instead of in the fetal position that we have become accustomed to.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 134

Yeah, this is the type of game where I don't want to see dink and dunk passes all over our defense. That will only keep them on the field longer. If Texas is going to score, let them score, and let our offense get back out on the field so they can play against a tough defense and see what they can do to move the ball. I want the offense to play in a tough situation so that maybe Barney will figure out what does and doesn't work best so we can use that to our advantage against lesser opponents this year.