Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 750
    Given: 372

Re: Dowling Catholic's Ryan Boyle commits to the Hawks

Quote Originally Posted by SplitIdentity View Post
    Is this the first "if only we had iowa's schedule" argument of the off season??
    It's a real thing and it's not a negative for Iowa. It's a huge boon. I'd pay triple what I do now to watch ISU play a schedule like Iowa's. It's one of the few failures of JP IMO. Some of it you can't help, but the two non Iowa games need to be against absolutely horrible teams.

Addict
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 499
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,328
    Given: 962

Quote Originally Posted by NEICyFan View Post
    The only team on their schedule who won fewer games last year than we did is
    Purdue.
    I don't see a lot of wins on that schedule for us unfortunately. On the other hand I don't see many blowouts either.

I see a lot of Iowa fans claiming an easy schedule. They don't have to face many top 10 level opponents but I don't see a lot of gimmes for them. The non conference schedule isn't a cakewalk by any means.
    How many teams on their schedule played only 3 non conference games last year?

Walk On
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 4

I love it when thinkitthrough, replies to himself as NEICyfan. Please quit using us when refering to the Cyclones, you are a Pantherhok fan.

Starter
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by CyTwins View Post
    How many teams on their schedule played only 3 non conference games last year?
    Why is this relevant? I will bet most all of them played at least 9 BCS conference opponents. Same difference.

Some of them may not have lost to a FCS team that didn't make the playoffs.

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    It's a real thing and it's not a negative for Iowa. It's a huge boon. I'd pay triple what I do now to watch ISU play a schedule like Iowa's. It's one of the few failures of JP IMO. Some of it you can't help, but the two non Iowa games need to be against absolutely horrible teams.
    I don't know how much softer one could make it. It isn't like we are playing big time schools in the noncon. He schedules teams we should be beating plus Iowa. It isn't directly his fault we don't win the games.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Why is this relevant? I will bet most all of them played at least 9 BCS conference opponents. Same difference.

10 > 9

Walk On
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Bet you enjoyed one of your 2 favorite teams winning that game, when the hoks play the panthers who do you cheer for?

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

10 > 9
    Doh! I meant 10. The only team within 1 game of us was Illinois who played 10 FBSschools. Northwestern only won 5 but they also played 10. Indiana also won 5 but only played 9, even though that 1 was Mizzou. Would you like me to do any other research?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Doh! I meant 10. The only team within 1 game of us was Illinois who played 10 FBSschools. Northwestern only won 5 but they also played 10. Indiana also won 5 but only played 9, even though that 1 was Mizzou. Would you like me to do any other research?
    And all those schools had an easier schedule than ISU last year. ISU wasn't good last year and won't be good this year but they could win 5-6 games with Iowa's schedule this year IMO

Walk On
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quit using using the word "us" when referring to the clones. Now log back in as think it through and agree with yourself

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 979
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 0

This. I'm actually jealous Iowa gets such a light schedule, I'm not knocking them at all for taking advantage of a favorable situation. It's just when they go 9-3 or 10-2 and beat their chests about how great they are, they'll leave out that they played a schedule that was borderline embarrassing

ABC - Always Be Closing

Prospect
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

A teams' schedule is only as easy/hard if the team playing that schedule is good/bad. You think Oklahoma uses that excuse? ISU's schedule looks tough because they obviously don't include themselves as one of the "easy games" that most opponents include them as. Bad teams have tough schedules because a lot of the teams they play are better than them. Good teams have easier schedules because they are often better than a majority of their opponents. The schedule excuse is lazy.

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

And all those schools had an easier schedule than ISU last year. ISU wasn't good last year and won't be good this year but they could win 5-6 games with Iowa's schedule this year IMO
    Agreed we played a tougher schedule. No doubt about that. our schedule was a mix master last year and doesn't look easier this year. That said the only teams on their schedule I can confidently say we would beat are Purdue and Ball State. Everyone else was better than us last year and with our d looking like it is I can't see too many more wins. No doubt more than I do with our schedule though.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 750
    Given: 372

Quote Originally Posted by HawkGuy View Post
    A teams' schedule is only as easy/hard if the team playing that schedule is good/bad. You think Oklahoma uses that excuse? ISU's schedule looks tough because they obviously don't include themselves as one of the "easy games" that most opponents include them as. Bad teams have tough schedules because a lot of the teams they play are better than them. Good teams have easier schedules because they are often better than a majority of their opponents. The schedule excuse is lazy.
    You're right but even when you remove that variable ISU's is tougher.

Guaranteed 10 BCS teams. vs guaranteed 9. Plus, the one remaining FBS game we have scheduled lately has been absolutely brutal for what should be the 2nd easiest game of the year. Last year we played 4 ranked teams and Iowa played 2. Iowa played two one win teams and an FCS team last year. So the top is lower and the bottom is lower.

Iowa's big breakout season in 2002? They played 2 ranked teams all year. #10 Penn State and #11 Michigan. They played 4 win Akron, 7 win Miami (OH), and 4 win Utah State in the non conference.

I'd give anything to have had a softer schedule in one of our bowl years or in our 5 win season to get to a bowl instead of staying home. If it only makes a one game difference, it can be huge in football.

Since 2010 we have had these non Iowa FBS game: Tulsa x2, @Uconn, Northern Illinois, Utah

Those teams had 40 wins between them those years, to average 8 wins per season and that includes a 3 win season last year from Tulsa. Tulsa, NIU, and Utah all had 10 win seasons those years.

So over half the years Rhoads has been here we have played 10 BCS teams plus a 10 win MAC/MWC type team and then a top FCS team (which shouldn't matter, we shouldn't lose to them and doing so is embarassing)

It's a real thing. Guess what our best year was? The first one where we played Army, Kent St and a bad NDSU.

Iowa is a shining example last year of favorable scheduling being a big deal. Iowa didn't beat anyone all that good. Didn't beat a team that was ranked. But their season will be looked on extremely favorably. 8 wins is a big deal. Nobody questions SOS in football. Their wins were against:

3-9 ISU
    5-7 Missouri State (FCS)
    1-11 Western Michigan
    7-5 Minnesota
    5-7 Northwestern
    1-11 Purdue
    6-6 Michigan
    8-4 Nebraska

Can you honestly look at that and say the schedule isn't a big help? It is what it is. No point in denying it. It's a positive that you can get a schedule like that. I'd kill for it. Two one win teams in the same season plus an FCS team? That's a great springboard to having an 8 win season.

Last edited by Rhoadhoused; 04-13-2014 at 01:46 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 785
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 905
    Given: 18

You're right but even when you remove that variable ISU's is tougher.

Guaranteed 10 BCS teams. vs guaranteed 9. Plus, the one remaining FBS game we have scheduled lately has been absolutely brutal for what should be the 2nd easiest game of the year. Last year we played 4 ranked teams and Iowa played 2. Iowa played two one win teams and an FCS team last year. So the top is lower and the bottom is lower.

Iowa's big breakout season in 2002? They played 2 ranked teams all year. #10 Penn State and #11 Michigan. They played 4 win Akron, 7 win Miami (OH), and 4 win Utah State in the non conference.

I'd give anything to have had a softer schedule in one of our bowl years or in our 5 win season to get to a bowl instead of staying home. If it only makes a one game difference, it can be huge in football.

Since 2010 we have had these non Iowa FBS game: Tulsa x2, @Uconn, Northern Illinois, Utah

Those teams had 40 wins between them those years, to average 8 wins per season and that includes a 3 win season last year from Tulsa. Tulsa, NIU, and Utah all had 10 win seasons those years.

So over half the years Rhoads has been here we have played 10 BCS teams plus a 10 win MAC/MWC type team and then a top FCS team (which shouldn't matter, we shouldn't lose to them and doing so is embarassing)

It's a real thing. Guess what our best year was? The first one where we played Army and bad NDSU.

Iowa is a shining example last year of favorable scheduling being a big deal. Iowa didn't beat anyone all that good. Didn't beat a team that was ranked. Their wins were against:

3-9 ISU
    5-7 Missouri State (FCS)
    1-11 Western Michigan
    7-5 Minnesota
    5-7 Northwestern
    1-11 Purdue
    6-6 Michigan
    8-4 Nebraska

Can you honestly look at that and say the schedule isn't a big help? It is what it is. No point in denying it. It's a positive that you can get a schedule like that. I'd kill for it. Two one win teams in the same season plus and FCS team? That's a great springboard to having an 8 win season.
    Game Over.