Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocialOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,031
    Given: 3,155

Re: Dorsey-Walker

Look at Hoibergs success with developing talent in just one year.

Naz, Kane, Royce, Hogue, and just about every other transfer he has brought in. I dont think its too far out there to expect SDW to develop like those guys before next season starts.

Naz Long, the Cowboy Killer

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 464
    Given: 427

Quote Originally Posted by mattyice View Post
    Thats fair.

IMO it might be a little unfair to hope for Naz like improvement. Im just trying to see how the SDW supporters reconcile that there were 5 guards who started the season.....and SDW finished 5th in that competition for minutes. (Would been 6th if Bubu was eligible).
    Shouldn't we all be SDW supporters? I mean, he is a Cyclone. Why don't you want him to do well?

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 206
    Given: 48

Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    Shouldn't we all be SDW supporters? I mean, he is a Cyclone. Why don't you want him to do well?

I struggled with what word to use there....didnt mean to have that sound unsupportive.....i meant those who feel he will be a stud or major contributor.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,046
    Given: 1,860

Except for one of us, we are all SDW supporters.

Legend
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,808
    Given: 3,096

Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post
    Wow...only on CycloneFanatic.com would there be a 9 page long thread about a redshirt freshman bench player's potential when we have a Sweet Sixteen game in Madison Square Garden tomorrow night.
    Well, Fanatics are jacked up about the Sweet 16 and have a five day wait between games. It's kind of like thinking about baseball in bed; we don't want to climax to early.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 868
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 205

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman38 View Post
    For those who think he'll play a different role next year, who is he going to take the minutes from? Don't get me wrong I think the kid has all kinds of potential and could be a good player next year, but we're losing Kane & Ejim and bringing in Nader & McKay with 2 open scholarships left. Unless one of those guys is a complete bust he's going to have to take PT from someone.

I think Edozie is in a similar situation.
    I think a better way to look at it is what skills set does he bring that isn't there currently or will be needed next year with the absence of Kane and Ejim. The obvious skill set that will be lacking is someone who can attack the rim and finish from the perimeter.

Morris is a capable drive guy but has been lacking in the finish department.
    Custer will be unknown.
    Thomas and Naz have shown more spot up ability.
    Hopefully Nader is able to be a drive to the hoop guy but I feel as though Fred is going to exploit mismatches in the post or perimeter with him in the half court.
    Hogue is the garbage man and I mean that in a good way

That leaves our guy SDW, who seems to me to have the ability to drive to the hoop with the explosiveness to finish there, similar to Mr. Kane (he has earned that title in my book), and has the ability to hit outside shots.

I feel like he has a unique skill set on this team that is valuable going forward and may be the best chance to fill in a role similar to Kane's.

I guess, I view Fred as a little bit of a "moneyball" kind of guy, not looking at replacing positions so much as replacing statistics and skill sets. That's my argument for Sherron's value on this team.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 464
    Given: 427

I struggled with what word to use there....didnt mean to have that sound unsupportive.....i meant those who feel he will be a stud or major contributor.
    Don't worry about your word choice sounding unsupportive. Pretty much every post of yours in this thread sounds unsupportive.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 346
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 985
    Given: 971

6 for 8 against Purdue? They must have widened the hoop by a couple feet to account for the normal missed layups

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 206
    Given: 48

Don't worry about your word choice sounding unsupportive. Pretty much every post of yours in this thread sounds unsupportive.

Choosing to see reality of his situation isnt being unsupportive. Youre not MORE supportive trying to see things that just are not there. I wish the kid well...and hope he becomes a stud.

Addict
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 694
    Given: 339

Choosing to see reality of his situation isnt being unsupportive. Youre not MORE supportive trying to see things that just are not there. I wish the kid well...and hope he becomes a stud.
    You are drawing conclusions from things that you can not draw conclusions from. Just because a player is one spot out of the rotation as a freshman does not mean he can't contribute the next year. A supportive fan would just say they hope he can break into the rotation and be a contributor next year and not carry a banner to say that it is extremely unlikely he contributes and that people who think it is possible are wrong.

He is a top 120 player in his class and has the talent to be very good if he can just do the boring stuff well enough to stay on the court. You are making assumptions far greater than SDW "supporters" when you say he won't be any good.

You are assuming:
    Custer is good enough to be the sole backup PG
    Thomas and Long will solely split the 2 guard minutes
    Nader, Houge, Niang, McKay and whoever else will take ALL of the minutes for those last three spots.

That is ridiculous. He will get his shot. We play tons of guards and SDW is big enough and athletic enough to play the "3" pretty easily.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 133
    Given: 15

Pretty much agree, I'm pulling for him to make big improvement, but he will have to if he's going to see many meaningful minutes for ISU at the level we're now at. He's in his 2nd year here and hasn't beat out first year Matt Thomas for minutes. Making such big predictions and expectations isn't really fair to him either. I've never seen so many lofty predictions for a player that so rarely plays. Let's see how he develops.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 694
    Given: 339

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    Pretty much agree, I'm pulling for him to make big improvement, but he will have to if he's going to see many meaningful minutes for ISU at the level we're now at. He's in his 2nd year here and hasn't beat out first year Matt Thomas for minutes. Making such big predictions and expectations isn't really fair to him either. I've never seen so many lofty predictions for a player that so rarely plays. Let's see how he develops.
    Is anyone predicting him to come out and be a star player next year? Everyone is just saying he has the potential to contribute next year and if he works hard and develops that his potential is very high and he could be a stud.

It's a lot more reasonable to say that than to say that he has no potential to ever contribute and that he won't play next year based on what you saw in 5 minutes a game this year. Hoiberg himself said he tried to fit him into the rotation, there just wasn't space this year. Take away Kane who is playing 35 minutes per game and opportunities will arise.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 801
    Given: 181

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    Where are these lofty predictions? Not writing a kid off or rumor mongering about him transferring after his REDSHIRT FRESHMAN year are not lofty predictions. Comparing him to a guy like Long, who made huge strides from year 1 to year 2 is not a lofty prediction. You and mattyice are the ones making lofty predictions by writing him off already.

He's a 6'4 guard, put on 30lbs from his redshirt year to this year and is perfect type of player for Fred's system. Also, Michigan offered him late. But what do guys like Fred and John Beilein know compared to the some of the geniuses on here?

All-Star
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,144
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 54

Not dissimiliar to Naz last season. Behind Lucious, Babb, McGee, Bubu, and they moved Clyburn over to the 2 at times when Hoiberg went "big." The only guards Naz played ahead of were walkons.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Fan-freaking-tastic. Love me some nhclone.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 959
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 0

SDW is oozing with talent. Fred wouldn't have wasted a scholarship if he didn't think so, and he sure as hell wouldn't have used a RS on him taking up another year of scholarship after getting him on campus if he didn't think he was going to be with it.

He has the height he just didn't have the mass. He has showed the ability to score well from anywhere on the floor. His weight isn't bad anymore, but he could still add a little more. He's not one of those guys who's ready to play right away, he's one of those guys who takes a few years to develop.

Fred is slowly trying to get him ready. Putting him out here for a little bit here and there getting him used to the big stage and speed of the game.

Some guys can quicky adjust, others can't. He's just one of the guys who needs to develop, and we have the talent where we don't have to throw him to the wolves.