Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 59
  1. #16
    Pro
    Points: 48,117, Level: 67
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 233
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    im4cyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    2,559
    Points
    48,117
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 239

    Re: Manhattan's Masiello Possibly Without ANY Job

    Quote Originally Posted by mkleve44 View Post
    Manhattan needs to hire Masiello back ASAP. He is a good coach and eventually will get that big name job.
    Can they hire him back if he doesn't have a degree? I would assume that is against their hiring policy too.

    Dude needs to be on the phone with the registrar at UK and figure out what he needs to do ASAP.



  2. #17
    Addict
    Points: 237,626, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    klamath632's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,733
    Points
    237,626
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 344
    Given: 244

    Re: Manhattan's Masiello Possibly Without ANY Job

    It's ridiculous that he would need a degree to get the job. It's dumb on his part that he padded his resume, because the piece of paper wasn't what got him consideration for this job in the first place. But if the degree is a requirement, its a completely arbitrary one. Obviously he can do the job, look at his record so far.

    I think USF is making a mistake by rescinding the offer of employment.


    Quote Originally Posted by John F. Kennedy
    not because they are easy, but because they are hard ... because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win....

  3. #18
    Speechless
    Points: 646,626, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,793
    Points
    646,626
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,448
    Given: 135

    Re: Manhattan's Masiello Possibly Without ANY Job

    Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    It's ridiculous that he would need a degree to get the job. It's dumb on his part that he padded his resume, because the piece of paper wasn't what got him consideration for this job in the first place. But if the degree is a requirement, its a completely arbitrary one. Obviously he can do the job, look at his record so far.

    I think USF is making a mistake by rescinding the offer of employment.
    I'm thinking it's more the lying than the actual degree.



  4. #19
    Addict
    Points: 237,626, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    klamath632's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,733
    Points
    237,626
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 344
    Given: 244

    Re: Manhattan's Masiello Possibly Without ANY Job

    Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    I'm thinking it's more the lying than the actual degree.
    I know the lying is the reason, thus my comment about "the piece of paper."


    Quote Originally Posted by John F. Kennedy
    not because they are easy, but because they are hard ... because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win....

  5. #20
    Pro
    Points: 48,117, Level: 67
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 233
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    im4cyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    2,559
    Points
    48,117
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 239

    Re: Manhattan's Masiello Possibly Without ANY Job

    Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    It's ridiculous that he would need a degree to get the job. It's dumb on his part that he padded his resume, because the piece of paper wasn't what got him consideration for this job in the first place. But if the degree is a requirement, its a completely arbitrary one. Obviously he can do the job, look at his record so far.

    I think USF is making a mistake by rescinding the offer of employment.
    Couldn't we make that argument of just about any job? The degree is just a piece of paper that doesn't demonstrate someone can or cannot do a job.

    I can't believe there is surprise that a college requires a college degree to be the head coach of one of its sports teams.

    Didn't Rutgers have this situation with their new coach? I think they gave him the opportunity to fix the issue, however. Maybe he didn't lie about it. Can't remember for sure.



  6. #21
    Addict
    Points: 322,239, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    8,264
    Points
    322,239
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,348
    Given: 317

    Re: Manhattan's Masiello Possibly Without ANY Job

    Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    It's ridiculous that he would need a degree to get the job. It's dumb on his part that he padded his resume, because the piece of paper wasn't what got him consideration for this job in the first place. But if the degree is a requirement, its a completely arbitrary one. Obviously he can do the job, look at his record so far.

    I think USF is making a mistake by rescinding the offer of employment.

    No. Lying during the hiring process demonstrates questionable character.



  7. #22
    Addict
    Points: 237,626, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    klamath632's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,733
    Points
    237,626
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 344
    Given: 244

    Re: Manhattan's Masiello Possibly Without ANY Job

    Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    Couldn't we make that argument of just about any job? The degree is just a piece of paper that doesn't demonstrate someone can or cannot do a job.

    I can't believe there is surprise that a college requires a college degree to be the head coach of one of its sports teams.

    Didn't Rutgers have this situation with their new coach? I think they gave him the opportunity to fix the issue, however. Maybe he didn't lie about it. Can't remember for sure.
    I disagree. The piece of paper is important for some professions, but every job is an individual case, and when someone lacks appropriate work history, the piece of paper is the only thing an employer has to go on.

    Later in your career, however, that piece of paper is distant history, just like the first couple of jobs you had that don't even appear on your resume anymore. "Appropriate experience" should always be an acceptable substitute for a college degree.

    And yes, as a Tavern Clone who didn't graduate from Iowa State, I can admit that I'm biased.


    Quote Originally Posted by John F. Kennedy
    not because they are easy, but because they are hard ... because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win....

  8. #23
    Speechless
    Points: 646,626, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,793
    Points
    646,626
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,448
    Given: 135

    Re: Manhattan's Masiello Possibly Without ANY Job

    Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    I disagree. The piece of paper is important for some professions, but every job is an individual case, and when someone lacks appropriate work history, the piece of paper is the only thing an employer has to go on.

    Later in your career, however, that piece of paper is distant history, just like the first couple of jobs you had that don't even appear on your resume anymore. "Appropriate experience" should always be an acceptable substitute for a college degree.

    And yes, as a Tavern Clone who didn't graduate from Iowa State, I can admit that I'm biased.
    Typical tavern Clone.



  9. #24
    Pro
    Points: 25,041, Level: 48
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,096
    Points
    25,041
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 50

    Re: Manhattan's Masiello Possibly Without ANY Job

    Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    No. Lying during the hiring process demonstrates questionable character.
    But they are expected to lie to recruits: that the recruits are their first choice, they will go to NBA, he will be there for the rest of their college careers and not going to go to another team or NBA, etc.



  10. #25
    Rookie
    Points: 15,560, Level: 37
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Nuts4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    536
    Points
    15,560
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 65

    Re: Manhattan's Masiello Possibly Without ANY Job

    Quote Originally Posted by mkleve44 View Post
    Manhattan needs to hire Masiello back ASAP. He is a good coach and eventually will get that big name job.
    I'd also make him sign a huge buy-out so he can't go anywhere w/o a $1M buyout. They can't keep him forever, but might as well get paid along the way.



  11. #26
    All-Star
    Points: 37,488, Level: 59
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    KnappShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    1,847
    Points
    37,488
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 243

    Re: Manhattan's Masiello Possibly Without ANY Job

    Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    I disagree. The piece of paper is important for some professions, but every job is an individual case, and when someone lacks appropriate work history, the piece of paper is the only thing an employer has to go on.

    Later in your career, however, that piece of paper is distant history, just like the first couple of jobs you had that don't even appear on your resume anymore. "Appropriate experience" should always be an acceptable substitute for a college degree.

    And yes, as a Tavern Clone who didn't graduate from Iowa State, I can admit that I'm biased.
    Surprisingly I find my degree still gets my foot in the door. All of these years later that piece of paper still holds some weight. I've also been blessed that ISU has a good reputation and brand.



  12. #27
    Speechless
    Points: 356,154, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,948
    Points
    356,154
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 42

    Re: Manhattan's Masiello Possibly Without ANY Job

    Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    I disagree. The piece of paper is important for some professions, but every job is an individual case, and when someone lacks appropriate work history, the piece of paper is the only thing an employer has to go on.

    Later in your career, however, that piece of paper is distant history, just like the first couple of jobs you had that don't even appear on your resume anymore. "Appropriate experience" should always be an acceptable substitute for a college degree.

    And yes, as a Tavern Clone who didn't graduate from Iowa State, I can admit that I'm biased.
    In pretty much any position, I would say a degree is just a piece of paper. In theory, this is slightly different. Part of this coaches job should be to at least be urging them to finish school and get a degree. When you are a former players who was in school for four years and didn't finish your degree, I don't know if that says a lot to kids. Of course, they would have never known that without the background check but the point is that I think when you are involved with college kids to the extent he is, a degree being required is ridiculous. An again, I think for a lot of jobs, degrees are just a piece of paper.

    This doesn't even take into account the lying part.


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  13. #28
    Addict
    Points: 154,240, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,609
    Points
    154,240
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 512
    Given: 7

    Re: Manhattan's Masiello Possibly Without ANY Job

    Two thoughts:

    1) I am for some reason suprised you even need to produce a resume for a NCAA head coaching job. Seems strange, and seems as though your qualifications wouldn't go much beyond win/loss and where you've coached, which is easily obtainable infromation.

    2) I can't imagine Manhattan hires him back. Why would you hire someone you know is going to jet at the next opportunity?



  14. #29
    Pro
    Points: 42,270, Level: 63
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    3,371
    Points
    42,270
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

    Re: Manhattan's Masiello Possibly Without ANY Job

    Quote Originally Posted by KnappShack View Post
    Surprisingly I find my degree still gets my foot in the door. All of these years later that piece of paper still holds some weight. I've also been blessed that ISU has a good reputation and brand.
    Know lots of people with seasoned resumes and no college degree that are out of work. So many companies have it as a minimum requirement these days, that work experience doesn't count. I have a cousin who gave her life to her job for 30 years, worked her way up the corporate ladder and was a comptroller for over 10 years until they hired a new CEO who brought in all his cronies for high management, but doesn't have a full degree, and can't even get a basic accounting job anywhere because of no degree.

    That piece of paper matters more than it should, but it is the way things work now.



  15. #30
    Addict
    Points: 322,239, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    8,264
    Points
    322,239
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,348
    Given: 317

    Re: Manhattan's Masiello Possibly Without ANY Job

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post
    But they are expected to lie to recruits: that the recruits are their first choice, they will go to NBA, he will be there for the rest of their college careers and not going to go to another team or NBA, etc.

    Management 101: Lying downward=totally cool. Lying upward=Not cool dude.




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM