Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 130

Re: Dynasty in the making?

We don't even know how good we are going to be with McKay, Nader and Custer. We haven't even seen any of those kids play against good teams yet. Thomas, Morris, and Long all have to improve. Don't get me wrong I think we will be good, but we might not be as good as this year's team. This year's team is something special.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5

Rookie
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 381

No, for me, a dynasty has to be a period of sustained success. The only team that really fits that bill is UCLA in the 60s/70s. Blue Bloods are historically teams that have had continued success over decades....that ain't us. Now, maybe someday I could see us achieving 'New Blood' status alongside the likes of your Louisvilles, Michigan States, and Floridas.

If we regularly finish at the top of the Big 12 and win conference titles and hopefully even a national title, I'd be fine with the label of 'Perennial Powerhouse'. But let's not get ahead of ourselves, we have a long, long way to go first.

"I watch the Cyclone players and they look like guys who grew up fighting for everything they got, on and off the court. In a word, men. I look at the Iowa players and I assume when they were kids they played soccer in leagues that didn't keep score to avoid hurting anyone's feelings. There is not one single leader on this team. It's a group of high school friends playing a pickup game at the YMCA and maybe they will keep score, maybe not, because they are just happy to be there."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 519
    Given: 401

Quote Originally Posted by StratCY View Post
    According to the scholarship chart, He will be here two more years. Using his redshirt this year after being at NIU as a true frosh and sophomore I believe.
    I know, if he's here only one year that means he went pro

Starter
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 152

We have no idea who may join the team as transfers for 2014-15 season so I am a bit hesitant about using the D word. And we have yet to win our first championship so no dynasty talk yet please.

The sky is the limit. We are trying to win every game. We are going to try to get to that big stage, the Final Four, and play on. Monte Morris (May 2014)

"Hey, who wouldn't want to play for Fred Hoiberg?" BDJ (Sept. 2014)

CYCLONE CLUB AND SUNSHINE & RAINBOWS JIHAD MEMBER

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,763
    Given: 437

Quote Originally Posted by Jsievers24 View Post
    We don't even know how good we are going to be with McKay, Nader and Custer. We haven't even seen any of those kids play against good teams yet. Thomas, Morris, and Long all have to improve. Don't get me wrong I think we will be good, but we might not be as good as this year's team. This year's team is something special.

Also said last year. To be fair, it is (was) valid in both instances, but it's worth pointing out that at some point, we have to be comfortable knowing the team will be different every year, but that it won't be worse.

Prospect
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

I thought the qualifications for being a dynasty was if someone missed a windmill dunk in the final seconds of an 8/9 game that you won... =)

Addict
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,763
    Given: 437

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo View Post
    I thought the qualifications for being a dynasty was if someone missed a windmill dunk in the final seconds of an 8/9 game that you won... =)

No, that's not a dynasty...that's just hilarious, and poetic justice.

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,009
    Given: 527

I don't think we'll ever see a "dynasty" again in college basketball the way it's defined in other sports or even the NBA. There's just way too much parity and the champion is determined by a 68-team single elimination tournament. Since John Wooden retired, there have only been two programs to win back-to-back titles (Duke and Florida). No team has pulled off a threepeat. The shortest amount of time it's taken any program to win three titles is 11 seasons (Duke from 1991 to 2001).

I think the best way to measure a dynasty in college basketball would be consecutive tournament appearances. If you do that, you see the usual suspects of Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Indiana, Kentucky, and Michigan State topping the list, and by a long shot.

We've got a long way to go any way you define a dynasty.

Pro
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 120

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    I think we are to the point where we could be a perennial top 25 team, and a fixture in the NCAA tournament. To be a dynasty, blue blood, powerhouse, etc you need to win at a high level (regular season titles, elite 8 appearances or better) over and over for many many years. We aren't even in the same ballpark as those titles, and I don't think we ever will be. Fred could have a coaching career here worthy of a statue and renaming the floor, and it could still fall short of what it would take to consider us a dynasty, or start lumping us in with blue blood programs.
    Well said. And, Fred has shown he can find missing pieces, maximize the talent of what is in front of him. You would think his recruiting should get bigger names as his/our profile gain more respect. As you all know with college bball, get that one right guy or recruit and you can really elevate to the next level.

All-Star
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 171

This thread... lol.

All-Star
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by troyisu View Post
    Not that I am looking past this year or even next, but looking at our roster two years from now I can't help but think we are looking to be a perennial powerhouse in basketball for quite some time with the Mayor at the helm...

Two years from now we will still have Niang, Nader, McKay and Long as seniors, Thomas & Morris as juniors and Custer as a sophmore. Granted there is a chance we may lose one of those guys to the pro's early (I could see Monte being that guy), but without adding ANYTHING to that team, we would be contenders to win the Big 12 with those 7...

I don't see us going anywhere but trending upwards in recruiting also...

Truly great to be a Cyclone right now...I thought I had it good back in 2000 when I was in school!

Thoughts??
    I think there's a 90+% chance Morris is still here as a junior. If he keeps improving there's a fair chance he'd go pro after his junior year, but I don't think he'll be big enough or quite have the offensive (scoring) game yet to make that leap after next year. It's very rare for a small, pass-first PG to go pro that early.

PGs who go pro early are usually more the big time scoring guys (Burke, Walker, Westbrook, etc.)

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 503
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 346
    Given: 327

Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    Isn't the first rule of dynasty that you have to win the title before you start talking about dynasties?
    Yes, we need to invoke the Ming Dynasty Rule here (aka the MDR) which requires you rule for a LONG time.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 84

Quote Originally Posted by roundball View Post
    I don't think we'll ever see a "dynasty" again in college basketball the way it's defined in other sports or even the NBA. There's just way too much parity and the champion is determined by a 68-team single elimination tournament. Since John Wooden retired, there have only been two programs to win back-to-back titles (Duke and Florida). No team has pulled off a threepeat. The shortest amount of time it's taken any program to win three titles is 11 seasons (Duke from 1991 to 2001).

I think the best way to measure a dynasty in college basketball would be consecutive tournament appearances. If you do that, you see the usual suspects of Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Indiana, Kentucky, and Michigan State topping the list, and by a long shot.

We've got a long way to go any way you define a dynasty.
    Well, we are moving on up that list already. Our 3 consecutive appearances is well ahead of Indiana at 0 and Kentucky at 1. We are only one spot behind UNC, they are currently at 4. There are currently 11 schools with active streaks of 5 or more.

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 979
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 27

Let's just enjoy this season. It's been a lot of fun other than the Niang injury. After the season (which hopefully is still 2 weeks away) we can talk about the future.

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,009
    Given: 527

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    Well, we are moving on up that list already. Our 3 consecutive appearances is well ahead of Indiana at 0 and Kentucky at 1. We are only one spot behind UNC, they are currently at 4. There are currently 11 schools with active streaks of 5 or more.
    I was referring to current and historical streaks. Even consecutive appearances is flawed because one year of missing the tournament doesn't necessarily mean that a program is not a dynasty, especially if it's a clear exception.

I'm sure there are better ways to define a dynasty, but we won't hold a candle to most of those other programs for a long, long time (if at all).