Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 3

Re: Great threads at The Boneyard...UCONN message boards

Quote Originally Posted by OkaForPrez View Post
    Hard to fathom right? Look there isn't a more exciting style of play in college basketball than the one Iowa State plays. 3 balls and smash mouth rim runs, fast breaks galore. Hoiberg got my attention when he ran our dysfunctional team out of the gym in 2012. I've followed him and your team since.

If Uconn wasn't in the midst of a renaissance year, I'd be pulling for Iowa State big time, so there's no real reason to come in swinging. But before anyone get's me wrong, I'll be in the Garden on Friday as loud and obnoxious as I can muster. Because we're on a F'U' tour against the cartel that blew up our conference and put our program at risk. You guys just happen to be next in line.
    I like this guy. 100% behind the cyclones but understand where he's coming from. I rooted for Marshall, Allen, Voshkul, El Amin, and Marshall pt. 2 but Hoiberg runs a clean program that treats kids right and plays by the rulese as opposed to Calhouns' dirty programs from years passed. That said, I respect Ollie and assume he is running a clean program against other dirty Eastern schools. Hope we blow them out of the gym but I still have my 6" inseam Huskies shorts from '94 in the Rubbermaid container in my basement in case they ever become in fashion again. Said while wearing my 16" inseam ISU shorts! #Swagberg

Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin' back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" -- Jesus Shuttlesworth (Ray Allen) - He Got Game

Recruit
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points7 days registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by whippetranch View Post
    I like this guy. 100% behind the cyclones but understand where he's coming from. I rooted for Marshall, Allen, Voshkul, El Amin, and Marshall pt. 2 but Hoiberg runs a clean program that treats kids right and plays by the rulese as opposed to Calhouns' dirty programs from years passed. That said, I respect Ollie and assume he is running a clean program against other dirty Eastern schools. Hope we blow them out of the gym but I still have my 6" inseam Huskies shorts from '94 in the Rubbermaid container in my basement in case they ever become in fashion again. Said while wearing my 16" inseam ISU shorts! #Swagberg
    Call it homerism, but you show me a "new money" program in college athletics and I'll show you a community of people out to tarnish it. You guys best start preparing for it now because if you don't think Rock Chalk is gonna drop a dime on The Mayor one of these days you are kidding yourselves.

If you want to get into the knocks on Calhoun one by one I'd be happy to have that conversation, but we'll slip out of cordial real fast. Dirty is trying to re-frame one of the greatest program architect jobs of the modern basketball era as something it wasn't.

To Quote Calhoun "I know what we did, and I know what we didn't do"

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 476
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 89

Call it homerism, but you show me a "new money" program in college athletics and I'll show you a community of people out to tarnish it. You guys best start preparing for it now because if you don't think Rock Chalk is gonna drop a dime on The Mayor one of these days you are kidding yourselves.

If you want to get into the knocks on Calhoun one by one I'd be happy to have that conversation, but we'll slip out of cordial real fast. Dirty is trying to re-frame one of the greatest program architect jobs of the modern basketball era as something it wasn't.

Ya, sorry but that wont happen. They may try to scoop him up, but I truly think his only collegiate coaching job will be at ISU. He may go to the pros (hopefully in the far far far distant future), but I dont even think UK, UNC, Duke, 'Cuse, or any other blue bloods have a chance with him. Call me a homer.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,493
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 600
    Given: 139

Quote Originally Posted by StratCY View Post
    Ya, sorry but that wont happen. They may try to scoop him up, but I truly think his only collegiate coaching job will be at ISU. He may go to the pros (hopefully in the far far far distant future), but I dont even think UK, UNC, Duke, 'Cuse, or any other blue bloods have a chance with him. Call me a homer.
    I don't think that's what he's referring to.

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm not saying they are going to steal him from you. I'm saying Dan Wetzel at Yahoo sports is going to do an expose on Hoiberg buying bus fare for a recruit while KU boosters put $300,000 in Kelly Oubre's pocket.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 476
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 89

I'm not saying they are going to steal him from you. I'm saying Dan Wetzel at Yahoo sports is going to do an expose on Hoiberg buying bus fare for a recruit while KU boosters put $300,000 in Kelly Oubre's pocket.
    Ah, my mistake, reading comprehension not at its finest. Keep the good UCONN content coming though, its good stuff.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,813
    Given: 1,524

I always respect the cryptic little "oh, if you go there, we'll slip out of cordial real fast" statements.
    Those tell me that you'll be extremely emotional when the topic inevitably comes up, whatever the facts may or may not be.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Ah, my mistake, reading comprehension not at its finest. Keep the good UCONN content coming though, its good stuff.
    Yeah definitely enjoying the discussion. I put a really big breakdown in the thread that got deleted. Was hoping the mods could at least recover my post and place it here.

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,791
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 15

Actually, the coach we had two coaches ago, Wayne Morgan (former Syracuse assistant ;-) ), was fired ultimately because Dennis Dodd wrote an expose on him on CBS for a scandal that turned out to be nothing, but our new AD didn't like it so he axed the coach. That was in 2006

We also turned ourselves in for some half minor recruiting violations last year and I think CBS tried to say we'd be screwed and made more of it than they needed to.

Last edited by marothisu; 03-24-2014 at 03:38 PM.

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Here's the lost post:

Here's some information you wont find in that breakdown.

Uconn's entire offense is predicated on dribble drive ball screen pressure. Team's that have been able to take away the point of attack and ask anyone else to beat us have been successful. Most glaringly Louisville has blown our doors off 3 times because of their ability to take away the ball screen offense with the zone press. That and athletic freak of nature bigs give us trouble inside: See Harrel, Montrezl.

Uconn will execute with either Boatright or Napier at the point. We will pick and pop with Deandre Daniels and Niels Giffeye for three. We will also run slip screen lobs for Brimah at the rim if you don't honor it.

Because of that one dimensional aspect of our offense, the most important player on the floor for UConn offensively is not Shabazz Napier, but Deandre Daniels. Daniel's is our mismatch that can cause other teams problems and open up the rest of the floor if you have to help on him. We'll flash him to the middle against 2/3 zones, isolate him on the low block or get him the ball on the perimeter in space and allow him to take slower less athletic 4's off the dribble.

Deandre can be wildly inconsistent. Over the last 7 games of last year, when nobody was paying attention because we were banned from the post season he was an unguardable force that looked like a lottery pick. This year he started off as an all or nothing enigma, then got a high ankle sprain, and then suffered back spasms.

Over the last 6 games Deandre is averaging:

15 pts, and 7 rebs on 48% from the floor 88% from the line and 56% from 3. He is the X factor. We need him to play well to open up the floor.

Outside of Bazz and Deandre the next most important player on the floor is Boatright. He's saved our skin on several occasions during the AAC and NCAA tourney's with clutch jumpers. For every spectacular play he makes off the dribble it feels like he gives one away. Very much like Valentine for MSU in that regard although their games are very different. Lately though, his decision making has been much better and gives UConn fans confidence that he can be our feature point guard next year. He can be a harassing on ball defender and frustrate backcourts that don't have strong handle.

After our "big 3" Uconn has some great glue guys that make it all work.

Niels Giffeye is a luke hancock type spot shooter who is very selective on when he pulls the trigger, but shoots at a 52% clip from 3. If you help off him, he will stick you.

Lasan Kromah (5th year senior transfer from gw) is a hot and cold jump shooter that can make you pay off the dribble at times. His real value to the club is defensively, and he will likely lock up with Kane. Watch him in your passing lanes, hes a hawk.

Amida Brimah our freshman 5, will spend the first 4 min on the bench watching the way you attack and how the officials are calling the game. He's essentially our starting 5 though. He can do a lot of damage defensively if you let him from the weak side. His decision making is developing, but he's still prone to over aggressiveness, and can be beat with the extra pass inside. You can also go right through his chest until he develops physically. He's a huge part of our team's heart. Has more tick tock then most of the other guys combined. He's going to be a great player in 3 years. For now, we hope he stays out of foul trouble, makes good decisions, and starts a few fast breaks defensively.

Lastly, the guy you won't read about in the scouting report because he's taken omar calhoun's minutes (Surprised omar was still in that writeup) is Terrence Sammuel. T-Sam is a freshman pointguard from Brooklyn (another in uconn's long lineage of NYC guards). We weren't expecting much from him this season, but he plays better and better every time he sees the floor. He's NYC tough, hard nosed and will attack the rim if you give it to him. Defensively he improves our size on the floor and allows us to play a matchup zone which was really disorienting for Villanova on Saturday. In fact, Sammuel entered the game with uconn trailing by 7 against Nova, and started a 16-4 run with Napier on the bench with 2 fouls.

Napier is a closer that can hit 30 feet off the bounce, but he usually starts taking over the game late in the 2nd. We run off him a lot, but this team depends on him less than 2011 depended on Kemba.

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    Actually, the coach we had two coaches ago, Wayne Morgan (former Syracuse assistant ;-) ), was fired ultimately because Dennis Dodd wrote an expose on him on CBS for a scandal that turned out to be nothing, but our new AD didn't like it so he axed the coach. That was in 2006

We also turned ourselves in for some half minor recruiting violations last year and I think CBS tried to say we'd be screwed and made more of it than they needed to.

One thing you got going for you, Hoiberg is a lot more likeable to the general public then the fast talking in your face irishman from Boston.

Burgermeister!
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 520

Yeah definitely enjoying the discussion. I put a really big breakdown in the thread that got deleted. Was hoping the mods could at least recover my post and place it here.
    I did that if it is the one that I was thinking it was. It looked like insider info and we don't allow that here. (Either that or it was in that thread)

No harm, no foul.

Asteroids are nature's way of asking "How's that space program going?"

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by TykeClone View Post
    I did that if it is the one that I was thinking it was. It looked like insider info and we don't allow that here. (Either that or it was in that thread)

No harm, no foul.
    Yea it was just lower in the thread.

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 739
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 0

Are you an attorney? I don't care either way. But after reading your posts, I'm trying to figure you out. Well spoken. Easy to read your posts. And they aren't full of drama. Just mostly facts.

Good stuff.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 739
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 0

Oh, and you mention T. Samuel. I believe ISU was recruiting him hard at one time. I can't recall why, but seemed like we backed off. Might have been because we knew he was a UCONN lean.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)