Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 239
    Given: 43

Re: I Come in Peace...

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone101 View Post
    We like to run. Don't see that changing for this game.
    this, first one to 100

Starter
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 201

It will be a fun game for sure and also enjoyed your breakdown. Coach Hoiberg loves to create mismatches and it will be interesting to see how this plays out today. It's nice to know the Heels are finally doing better at guarding the 3 as they were getting killed a couple years ago, especially the year Barnes was a Soph. I'm sure the Cyclones will be testing your perimeter defense today and it will be interesting to see the chess match between coach Roy and Fred between man to man and zones. Coach Hoiberg will try to pull McAdoo, Hubert and Brice out of the lane at times to open up dribble penetration unless Roy goes zone. The entire Cyclone team can shoot 3's and penetrate so the Heels will be tested with their length and ability to recover. Ejim and Hogue will have to play big inside as well and staying out of foul trouble will be a key for the Cyclones today. IMO Kane is the X factor for todays game. At 6'5 he is really strong and will go to the iron like a bull today. Not sure if you guys are putting Tokoto or McDonald on him. This will be a key match-up. Good luck and thanks for stopping by.

Pro
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,484
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 3

He comes in peace...let's get him!

Starter
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 591

Quote Originally Posted by 83Clone View Post
    I get a kick out of some of the talking heads who say "Hoiberg hasn't decided who's going to play for Niang". Are you kidding me? Even my wife who is merely an observer, said to me this morning "he knows exactly what he's going to do but why would he tell the press? duh
    Exactly. I think he knew who was going to get the nod an hour or so after the game Friday. Doesn't want to say who, especially when a hall of fame coach is preparing to play your team.

Iowa State Manchester United Pittsburgh Steelers

"I want to see the arena filled, and I want other teams to dread coming to Ames." -Johnny Orr

Walk On
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelFan View Post
    Offensively, though less true than normal this year, we do far better against quicker teams that like to run; the more a team likes to run, the more likely UNC is to win the game. (In fact, I saw a stat (can’t remember where) that showed when adjusted tempo stats reach somewhere around the 80th percentile or higher in a UNC game, our chances of winning games in this upper echelon of speed jumped to well above 90% during the Roy Williams era.) Our half-court offense is a different story; essentially we rely on either (a) pounding the ball inside with our very big frontcourt (in size and length, as we have very good athletes down low which makes them play taller than their heights) and either scoring or grabbing a very high percentage of our misses for put-backs, or (b) allowing Marcus Paige to make a big three or excellent drive and finish in key moments of the game. This means two things: one, if you slow down Marcus Paige, we are one dimensional on offense, and two, if you don’t allow us to get offensive rebounds (which is hard to do for most teams because of our size, but certainly possible), we struggle to get points. (This is especially true when you consider our abysmal free throw shooting.) Play slow, stop Paige, and don’t allow offense rebounds, and this will be a long night for UNC.
    I think the key to this game is the transition game. ISU does play "uptempo" and tends to get a lot of possessions in one game, but I don't know that I'd say we're a team that scores (or gives up) a ton of points in transition. Rather, our fast tempo frequently takes the form of an efficient half court offense that gets a good shot quickly. Without Georges, I'm much less confident in our ability to get those shots quickly. He is frequently the one drawing the extra defender, getting the defense out of place and making a pass for an easy layup for Ejim or Hogue. We are not nearly as good of a team, in my opinion, when we have to rely on outside shots (though we've still won plenty of games by shooting well). The open question is whether Kane or Monte Morris can fill Georges' shoes as a creator. Kane is good at penetrating, but all too often he ends up taking a highly contested layup instead of dropping the ball off for a better shot.

I can't remember the exact statistic, but I recently saw that ISU was one of the best teams in the country at preventing transition baskets. I think that's largely because we send a couple of people back whenever a shot goes up. If ISU is giving UNC easy baskets in transition, we're in big trouble. Not that ISU is a great defensive team by any stretch, but from what I've seen of UNC this year, I think ISU has a decent chance to stop UNC in half court offense. Paige going wild from downtown is the one thing that really scares me. ISU has a tendency of allowing people to have career nights from 3 point range. McAdoo is a great athlete, but he doesn't strike me as a highly skilled big man like some of those we've had trouble with (i.e. Perry Ellis of KU). If we can force him to play with his back to the basket, I like our chances.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 513
    Given: 460

So, why does UNC have good stats against up-tempo teams? Stats can lie.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 776
    Given: 1,968

Thanks for the analysis, TarHeelFan, and glad to see some of our guys are returning the favor.

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 959
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelFan View Post
    Tarheel fan here - I come in peace. I apologize this comes so late,
    That is what Custer told his scouts to tell the villages at the Little Big Horn. Coincidence?

"To run this drill, Everyone line up in a circle, pair up in rows of three, alphabetically"

Addict
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 513
    Given: 460

Come on, tarheelfan, let's have some discussion. It has been almost 45 minutes.

Starter
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 201

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    .. A bunch of thoroughbreds like to get out and fill the lanes. I wonder if Coach Fred will try and slow it down against these guys, that would be totally unexpected but I could see Fred trying this as Carolina often stagnates and struggles when teams slow down against them. This has been a thorn in Coach Williams side the last few years. Remember when Barnes was there his Frosh/Soph years doing his statue impressions on the wing, and the only time he seemed to be effective was on transition fast breaks or occasional 3's. I know we are locked in when running with our offense, just not sure we want to get into a run and gun battle with these long and athletic guys. ?

Addict
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocialOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,187
    Given: 3,397

The OP is probably Roy boy himself

Naz Long, the Cowboy Killer

Prospect
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Amesboy View Post
    It will be a fun game for sure and also enjoyed your breakdown. Coach Hoiberg loves to create mismatches and it will be interesting to see how this plays out today. It's nice to know the Heels are finally doing better at guarding the 3 as they were getting killed a couple years ago, especially the year Barnes was a Soph. I'm sure the Cyclones will be testing your perimeter defense today and it will be interesting to see the chess match between coach Roy and Fred between man to man and zones. Coach Hoiberg will try to pull McAdoo, Hubert and Brice out of the lane at times to open up dribble penetration unless Roy goes zone. The entire Cyclone team can shoot 3's and penetrate so the Heels will be tested with their length and ability to recover. Ejim and Hogue will have to play big inside as well and staying out of foul trouble will be a key for the Cyclones today. IMO Kane is the X factor for todays game. At 6'5 he is really strong and will go to the iron like a bull today. Not sure if you guys are putting Tokoto or McDonald on him. This will be a key match-up. Good luck and thanks for stopping by.
    Good thoughts: our freshmen big man, Meeks, is a tremendous rebounder (led ACC and is one of the top in the country per minute), a terrific outlet passer, and a decent low-post defender; however, he REALLY struggles when he is far away from the basket playing defense. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you guys take advantage of that match-up before Roy switches to Brice Johnson down low, or a zone defense (the latter of which I only think will work short-term due to your guys shooting ability). We will probably mostly play Tokoto on Kane (especially in the second half), as Tokoto is our best wing defender and athlete (40 inch vertical).

Prospect
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Several reasons: #1 we have a very deep bench which we employ even in the NCAA tournament; thus much like Louisville, we tend to wear down opponents by the end of the game because we don't let up on either defense or offense. #2: we have one of (if not the best) strength and conditioning coaches in the country in Jonas Sarahtian, which compliments our bench depth. #3 While other teams have equivalent or better primary breaks, UNC consistently has the best secondary break in the country. Not to get too technical, but essentially our bigs are extremely fast each year, and they know where to be on the floor in the secondary break to get easy buckets (as well as where the guards will be should it be better to pass to an open shooter), so a team's defensive work is not done if they simple stop our primary break.

Starter
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 204

One thing to remember when posting here is that ISU has a VERY long history with Roy Williams. Things probably have less to do with UNC and more to do with Roy. Our game plan is very simple, but effective: In Fred We Trust.

Prospect
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyStalker View Post
    One thing to remember when posting here is that ISU has a VERY long history with Roy Williams. Things probably have less to do with UNC and more to do with Roy. Our game plan is very simple, but effective: In Fred We Trust.
    Yea, Hoiberg definitely has my respect as a coach, and I expect ISU to have an excellent game plan today.