Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 5

I Come in Peace...

Tarheel fan here - I come in peace. I apologize this comes so late, but it took a bit for my account to be validated so I could make this post...

First, I wanted you guys to know I really hate you lost such a tremendous player in Niang to an injury at the start of the NCAA tournament. Not only was he a great player, but from his post-game interview, he sounds like a great teammate as well. With him on the floor, I really believe ISU had a chance to make a deep run in the tourney. Having lost Kendall Marshall two years ago in the NCAA tournament, I remember how depressing it was as UNC struggled to beat a weak mid-major opponent, then fell to a Kansas team I really believe we would have beaten with Marshall on the floor. If we lose, I hope you guys make a deep run in the tourney.

Second, I thought we could swap some team analysis with each other. Here is a UNC breakdown:

This is one of the better defensive teams I have seen in the Roy Williams era here at UNC; normally his teams are poor at guarding the three point line, but this team knows how to guard the perimeter. Our biggest defensive issue (especially as of late) is dribble penetration. Paige, Tokoto, and McAdoo are all terrific defenders based on stop percentage; the key for Ejim is to get McAdoo in foul trouble, because when he stays out of foul trouble, he can really be an effective defender. Likewise, Page is extremely underrated as a perimeter defender, and makes life difficult for opponents. Additionally, our length and athleticism has allowed us to employ effective 2-3 and 1-3-1 zones against opponents, then switching back to man-to-man before the opponent can adjust and become comfortable with our zones.

Offensively, though less true than normal this year, we do far better against quicker teams that like to run; the more a team likes to run, the more likely UNC is to win the game. (In fact, I saw a stat (canít remember where) that showed when adjusted tempo stats reach somewhere around the 80th percentile or higher in a UNC game, our chances of winning games in this upper echelon of speed jumped to well above 90% during the Roy Williams era.) Our half-court offense is a different story; essentially we rely on either (a) pounding the ball inside with our very big frontcourt (in size and length, as we have very good athletes down low which makes them play taller than their heights) and either scoring or grabbing a very high percentage of our misses for put-backs, or (b) allowing Marcus Paige to make a big three or excellent drive and finish in key moments of the game. This means two things: one, if you slow down Marcus Paige, we are one dimensional on offense, and two, if you donít allow us to get offensive rebounds (which is hard to do for most teams because of our size, but certainly possible), we struggle to get points. (This is especially true when you consider our abysmal free throw shooting.) Play slow, stop Paige, and donít allow offense rebounds, and this will be a long night for UNC.

Summation: Defensive liabilities are a tendency to get into foul trouble and some trouble with dribble penetration. Offensive liabilities are a tendency to rely on Paige (teams who went to a box and one have had some success), need for speed, and our reliance on second chance points due to poor shooting (including at the free throw line).

Whatís your assessment of Iowa State? I look forward to your analysis of your team, and again, I wish you guys the best if you beat us, and I am glad Niang wasnít a senior and will have a chance to play for a great coach and blossoming program next year.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,058
    Given: 529

Re: I Come in Peace...

UNC will be destroyed. There is nothing that can be done about it.

Legend
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 773
    Given: 43

Isu pretty much ****s ******* and gets money.

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 930
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

We still have a pretty potent offense, but certainly lost something with out George. Our defense is a little better than advertised.

I think if you can shut us down on the 3 point line you win. Our inside game just is not the same without George.

Recruit
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 6

Hoiball, dont underestimate it.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,297
    Given: 1,129

....you go in pieces.

You seem decent. If your guys slow down Kane's penetration, that's trouble for us today. You'll see him penetrate and distribute a lot today, and you're going to see about 85 Cyclone points. That's just what we do.

North Carolina must, and will, be destroyed.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

All-Star
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 435
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 27

Your school reminds me of Kansas........that is not a compliment. I am talking about culture and academics too...not solely semi-pro sports.

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 283
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 131

We like to run. Don't see that changing for this game.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 668
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 216
    Given: 173

Thanks for stopping by.

Niang is a huge loss, but not for the reasons you may expect. Though he is our tallest starter, he is not known for his defense or rebounding. He is a guy that can create his own shot and has great vision. He is often used as a point forward, so the offense often goes through him.

Monte Morris shares the PG duties with Deandre Kane. Though he is a true freshman, he leads the nation in assist/turnover ratio at around 5/1.

Deandre Kane is a match up problem for many teams because he is a big guard at 6'4 200 lbs. He is a stat-stuffer averaging 16.9 PPG, 6.7 RPG, and 5.8 APG. He also shoots the 3 at 40%

Naz Long is likely the guy who will replace Niang in the starting lineup. He is our best outside threat shooting the 3 just over 40%

Dustin Hogue plays the 4 for us. Though he is only 6'6, he averages 8.5 RPG. He also scored 10.9 PPG and is our best defender.

Melvin Ejim is the Big 12 player of the year. At 6'6, he averages 18.1 PPG and 8.5 RPG.

One guy that doesn't play a lot (though has been seeing the court more recently) is Daniel Edozie. He is 6'9 and is a good rebounder and defender. He isn't an offensive threat, so that's why he doesn't play too often.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,555
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 93

Thanks for the kind words. Not looking forward to playing UNC yet again in the NCAA tournament. You won't find to many kind words in return as the majority of us, hell all of us, hate "snake in the grass" Roy Boy. I hear there is a couple good recruits coming up from Iowa, maybe Roy can fly out MJ to talk to them about UNC. We respect your program, don't get me wrong, but if you beat us we're all going to be rooting for UCONN.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 593
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 696
    Given: 779

Losing Niang is a major blow. He is a matchup nightmare for every single team that we've faced all year. With all due respect to UNC and their team, I don't think UNC would stand a chance with a healthy Niang. Without him, I honestly have no idea what will happen. Someone is going to need to step up. Kane and Ejim are going to have to play there game, and Long and Thomas will need to increase their contributions. Morris will also need to kick it up an extra gear, even though he has already been fantastic for us all year long. And most importantly, Ejim needs to stay out of foul trouble.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 668
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 216
    Given: 173

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. Not looking forward to playing UNC yet again in the NCAA tournament. You won't find to many kind words in return as the majority of us, hell all of us, hate "snake in the grass" Roy Boy. I hear there is a couple good recruits coming up from Iowa, maybe Roy can fly out MJ to talk to them about UNC. We respect your program, don't get me wrong, but if you beat us we're all going to be rooting for UCONN.
    Not me. Those ****ers broke Cy's arm

Walk On
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelFan View Post
    Tarheel fan here - I come in peace. I apologize this comes so late, but it took a bit for my account to be validated so I could make this post...

First, I wanted you guys to know I really hate you lost such a tremendous player in Niang to an injury at the start of the NCAA tournament. Not only was he a great player, but from his post-game interview, he sounds like a great teammate as well. With him on the floor, I really believe ISU had a chance to make a deep run in the tourney. Having lost Kendall Marshall two years ago in the NCAA tournament, I remember how depressing it was as UNC struggled to beat a weak mid-major opponent, then fell to a Kansas team I really believe we would have beaten with Marshall on the floor. If we lose, I hope you guys make a deep run in the tourney.

Second, I thought we could swap some team analysis with each other. Here is a UNC breakdown:

This is one of the better defensive teams I have seen in the Roy Williams era here at UNC; normally his teams are poor at guarding the three point line, but this team knows how to guard the perimeter. Our biggest defensive issue (especially as of late) is dribble penetration. Paige, Tokoto, and McAdoo are all terrific defenders based on stop percentage; the key for Ejim is to get McAdoo in foul trouble, because when he stays out of foul trouble, he can really be an effective defender. Likewise, Page is extremely underrated as a perimeter defender, and makes life difficult for opponents. Additionally, our length and athleticism has allowed us to employ effective 2-3 and 1-3-1 zones against opponents, then switching back to man-to-man before the opponent can adjust and become comfortable with our zones.

Offensively, though less true than normal this year, we do far better against quicker teams that like to run; the more a team likes to run, the more likely UNC is to win the game. (In fact, I saw a stat (canít remember where) that showed when adjusted tempo stats reach somewhere around the 80th percentile or higher in a UNC game, our chances of winning games in this upper echelon of speed jumped to well above 90% during the Roy Williams era.) Our half-court offense is a different story; essentially we rely on either (a) pounding the ball inside with our very big frontcourt (in size and length, as we have very good athletes down low which makes them play taller than their heights) and either scoring or grabbing a very high percentage of our misses for put-backs, or (b) allowing Marcus Paige to make a big three or excellent drive and finish in key moments of the game. This means two things: one, if you slow down Marcus Paige, we are one dimensional on offense, and two, if you donít allow us to get offensive rebounds (which is hard to do for most teams because of our size, but certainly possible), we struggle to get points. (This is especially true when you consider our abysmal free throw shooting.) Play slow, stop Paige, and donít allow offense rebounds, and this will be a long night for UNC.

Summation: Defensive liabilities are a tendency to get into foul trouble and some trouble with dribble penetration. Offensive liabilities are a tendency to rely on Paige (teams who went to a box and one have had some success), need for speed, and our reliance on second chance points due to poor shooting (including at the free throw line).

Whatís your assessment of Iowa State? I look forward to your analysis of your team, and again, I wish you guys the best if you beat us, and I am glad Niang wasnít a senior and will have a chance to play for a great coach and blossoming program next year.
    Thank you, you appear to be a very nice person. I'am sure you are successful in life. Having said that. I do believe we will play above our head today and give you a great game. We consider North Carolina to be a Kansas twin. And, of course the poaching of some of our best players hurts. We will be out to show future recruits the advantages of staying home.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 828
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 4

I get a kick out of some of the talking heads who say "Hoiberg hasn't decided who's going to play for Niang". Are you kidding me? Even my wife who is merely an observer, said to me this morning "he knows exactly what he's going to do but why would he tell the press? duh

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 870
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by CyclOwnd View Post
    Hoiball, dont underestimate it.