Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 4

Re: Looking to next year

First - Congrats to Coach Jackson and the team on another tournament of exceeding expectations.

Even though I also think NEIcyFan is a Panther / Hawk fan, I'll through my 2 cents in. (long post so prob a nickels worth)

Have seen 30 years of ISU wrestling, more than some less than others. I do think it's time to actually start grading Jackson, in my opinion he's got the next 3 years to prove he can do it.

As discussed for the last 5 years I'll recap:
    - Pollard hired Jackson knowing we wouldn't get the benefit of a Sanderson (ISU to PSU) / Brands (VT to Iowa) 2 recruiting classes (imagine ISU this year with Moreno, Weatherman, Gadson, Hall, Taylor, Ruth, Brown)
    - Cael left the program in a deep, deep hole with all the scholarship money tied up in the junior class, and pretty bare talent cupboard below them. Cael had a great class coming in hence PSU winning 4 straight titles.
    - Not only was the talent cupboard bare so was the wrestling room, we had no legit backups either pushing our starters.
    - Jackson's first recruiting class is a gimme - didn't have any chance to recruit
    - Jackson's second class is turning out to be decent - sucks that the #19 (Ryak) and #29 (Cozart) recruits in the nation turn out not to be D1 talent
    -Our current upper classmen have had to build the room themselves - no upperclassmen besides Reader to make the younger kids tougher
    -Youth - how many seniors have we averaged over our 10 starting spots the last 4 years? Wouldn't it be nice to have a rounded out team, ya know with 3/4 seniors, 3/4 juniors, 2/3 sophomores and maybe 1/2 freshman?
    -Remember when ISU was always competing for national titles? Neither do I, yes we were a consistent top 10 team (6 of last 30 not in top 10 jackson owns 4 not in top 10), frequent top 5 (15 of last 30 in top 5 jackson owns 1), rarely top 2 (4 of last 30 Douglass 3, Cael 1)

Now with all that being said, excuse time is over!
    - We now have multiple returning AA and qualifiers
    - We have upper classmen in the room
    - We have a room full of wrestlers, both talent and role players
    - Next year should have a nice spread of wrestlers from Seniors to Freshman
    - We should be able to focus on recruiting 2-3 "top" wrestlers per year

What I like about Jackson is he coaches being aggressive - I used to joke about the "Bobby Douglass" school of stalling. The difference maker for me is can Jackson recruit top talent, the next couple years we'll know. Wonder what ISU could do if we had recruiting classes that Bobby and Cael brought in with Jackson coaching them. I am expecting top 8 next year and possibly a title run in 2016 depending on Gadson, if we aren't back to ISU of old (Consistent top 10, frequent top 5, rare title contender) the next 3 years I would agree that Jackson can't get it done and time for a change (not sure who we'd get that would be better but we'd have to try)

Long post - GO CYCLONES!

Walk On
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 191

Quote Originally Posted by LutherBlue View Post
    Yes, I would certainly rather not do worse. You act like it's a given that the next person will be better. It is not.

If the administration has identified a coach who they think will do a significantly better job and that coach will take the job, then I'm all for making a change. I just don't see who that person is right now. There is no obvious Cael Sanderson duplicate sitting around waiting for our call.
    What this person is asking you to type is that Kevin Jackson is terrible, and needs to be replaced as head coach of Iowa State wrestling.

He has been consistent in his position. I'm trying to figure out which one he is in hr/hn/panther nation.

But he ain't supporting Iowa State wrestling, it's a personal situation, and I don't knew what precipitated it.

Cloneswillwin had a pretty basic summation of what most of actual Iowa State wrestling fans believe. However, this person is must definitely not an Iowa State wrestling fan. I have no idea what Kevin Jackson did to him, but he's never here to be positive at all.

Walk On
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 422
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

My thoughts on expectations next year:
    0 FR starters (only way we have any is if they are that good, which would be OK to not have 5 SO starting), 5 SO, 2 Jr, 3 SR
    125: Larson RSO - Think if he was our starter this year would of been an NCAA qualifier - Solid wrestler, will give Boston a chance to redshirt. Hoping for a couple of wins in the NCAA hopefully 2 team points.
    133: Hall JR - Move up a weight, return to AA - Doubt high AA but scoring 10 team points
    141: Meeks RSO - Not sure what to expect after he's had a chance to redshirt and work with Troy for a year. Hoping low AA scoring 10 team points (could be more could be none)
    149: G. Moreno RSO Lets just put him at a couple more wins in the NCAA and he scores us 4 team points
    157: Goettl RSR / Molina RJR Plan on no points, hope I'm wrong
    165: M. Moreno RSR Finalist scoring 20 team points
    174: Weatherman RJR Low AA scoring 12 team points
    184: Weatherspoon RSO Same as Gabe - scores us 4 team points
    197: Gadson RSR Finalist scoring 20 team points
    HWT: Smith RSO qualifies hope for 1 team point

High side next year is 80-90 team points - would put us in contention for a title (with the parody we have now)
    Realistic is probably 55 - 65 team points - 5th to 7th this year
    Low side would be 45 - 55 team points - 8th to 10th this year

Rookie
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 486
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by NEICyFan View Post
    Thank you for actually answering the question and not stooping to the level of the other annoying posters.

So say we finish 8th...is your thought that it earns KJ an extension?
    Top 8 yes for the fact we wont get a replacement that will do any better. Not top 10 think it will be time to really consider looking elsewhere. With Meeks coming off a redshirt, Q showing what coaches have talked about, nice group of upperclassman, returning AA's and some hungry fellas I think top 8 (would love top 4) is a fair and reasonable expectation not only from the fan's standpoint but from a program standpoint as well.

Rookie
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 486
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by cloneswillwin View Post
    My thoughts on expectations next year:
    0 FR starters (only way we have any is if they are that good, which would be OK to not have 5 SO starting), 5 SO, 2 Jr, 3 SR
    125: Larson RSO - Think if he was our starter this year would of been an NCAA qualifier - Solid wrestler, will give Boston a chance to redshirt. Hoping for a couple of wins in the NCAA hopefully 2 team points.
    133: Hall JR - Move up a weight, return to AA - Doubt high AA but scoring 10 team points
    141: Meeks RSO - Not sure what to expect after he's had a chance to redshirt and work with Troy for a year. Hoping low AA scoring 10 team points (could be more could be none)
    149: G. Moreno RSO Lets just put him at a couple more wins in the NCAA and he scores us 4 team points
    157: Goettl RSR / Molina RJR Plan on no points, hope I'm wrong
    165: M. Moreno RSR Finalist scoring 20 team points
    174: Weatherman RJR Low AA scoring 12 team points
    184: Weatherspoon RSO Same as Gabe - scores us 4 team points
    197: Gadson RSR Finalist scoring 20 team points
    HWT: Smith RSO qualifies hope for 1 team point

High side next year is 80-90 team points - would put us in contention for a title (with the parody we have now)
    Realistic is probably 55 - 65 team points - 5th to 7th this year
    Low side would be 45 - 55 team points - 8th to 10th this year
    Wow great post /thread plus we have to remember that PSU will be without their bonus scorers next year which is going to make a fun race for a team title for a lot of schools.

Starter
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 697
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Quote Originally Posted by SammyWild View Post
    What this person is asking you to type is that Kevin Jackson is terrible, and needs to be replaced as head coach of Iowa State wrestling.

He has been consistent in his position. I'm trying to figure out which one he is in hr/hn/panther nation.

But he ain't supporting Iowa State wrestling, it's a personal situation, and I don't knew what precipitated it.

Cloneswillwin had a pretty basic summation of what most of actual Iowa State wrestling fans believe. However, this person is must definitely not an Iowa State wrestling fan. I have no idea what Kevin Jackson did to him, but he's never here to be positive at all.
    Keep posting this crap. It's fun even though it isn't true. I have nothing against KJ other than his lack of performance. As I posted in my last message--I want him to be successful as that is the best case scenario for everyone. 2014-15 is a make or break year for for the coaching staff. In this thread I'm trying to determine what constitutes making it or breaking it in the minds of fellow posters. It is a pertinent, important question for the wrestling program. Sorry if analyzing/evaluating hurts your feelings.

Walk On
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 191

Keep posting this crap. It's fun even though it isn't true. I have nothing against KJ other than his lack of performance. As I posted in my last message--I want him to be successful as that is the best case scenario for everyone. 2014-15 is a make or break year for for the coaching staff. In this thread I'm trying to determine what constitutes making it or breaking it in the minds of fellow posters. It is a pertinent, important question for the wrestling program. Sorry if analyzing/evaluating hurts your feelings.
    Doesn't hurt my feelings, I just think it's pathetic that you have such a problem you have to create fictitious accounts to criticize.

There is a history feature on here, people can read all of your "support."

You even admitted in one thread you don't have Iowa State season tickets, but you have them for UNI. And anytime anyone says something remotely negative about your hawks, you're here to defend them.

So keep trying to pretend you actually want Iowa State to succeed, it doesn't pass the smell test.

And another thing, all of your criticisms, I'm sure Coach Jackson would be happy to address them, go to his office.

I don't think you're queso, but maybe ronsnap. That's the closest one I've found so far

Walk On
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

What about Jackson hasn't been successful? My long posts were realistic shots at what Jackson has had to overcome.

The only way he'd become successful in your eyes was filling an empty room with amazing talent that could perform high all-american as Freshman and Sophomores - yeah that's happened a lot at ISU. You don't seem to understand college wrestling very well like I posted before Pollard knew that instant gratification wasn't going to happen hiring Jackson.

Jackson even had a recruiting class that could have done it - the Moreno / Gadson class and like I explained in the post before who knew that the top 2 recruits wouldn't end up being D1 talent.

Jackson has been successful to say anything but is just foolish, as successful as any one would of liked no we all wished that Jackson could have pulled off a miracle. Have some understanding of the mountain this man has had to climb.

With that being said I'll agree that excuse time is over we should expect better than 12th finish from here on out. I'll say it over and over - the next few years will define the future of ISU wrestling.

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 146
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 77

I think one thing that KJ had to overcome and learn is recruiting. Who to recruit, how much to pay, what type of athlete will work in his program, etc.

KJ had no college coaching experience when he started.
    Yero - I don't think had any D1 coaching experience
    Eric Voelker had 0 D1 coaching experience
    Travis - had 0 D1 coaching experience
    Troy N had 0 D1 coaching experience
    Bono had the experience but couldn't get along with KJ, I understand

There were mistakes made in recruiting, how much to pay, get the right kids, etc.
    I think relationship are being established with high school kids and the coaches at a younger age

This takes time and the lack of coaching knowledge in D1 wrestling is something this staff is overcoming. We have a very good staff now that I couldn't say I would agree with a couple years ago.

I like how KJ is reaching out to others (J of Minnesota, Gable -last year I think) to get help

I would be okay with another 2 year extension.

Starter
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 709
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 43

I would be ok with an extension also. We have a good wrestling tradition at Iowa State. That said, am I pleased with the last few years? Not necessarily, but I am pleased with the direction our program is going and I don't think it's down. Look at the position Michael Moreno was in two years ago and now he's a 2x All-American. Not bad results when you consider most kids in that situation may have folded..Lelund Weatherspoon is a red-shirt freshman that won the 184 title in the Big 12's while wrestling in a 174 pound frame. Recruiting wise, we have landed some quality kids given the situation. I think a lot of it is developing the recruits we get and work on their skills technically. Of course I would love to have that perennial powerhouse program such as Penn State, Okie State, or Iowa, but that will take time.

Walk On
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The more i keep thinking of that statement - please take the time to explain what has been lacking in his performance? Dont' just say we should be better and finish higher actually give us some of your great knowledge of college wrestling on how Jackson could have realistically done so much better. What specific expectations of his performance are you referring to? Have some time on my hands until the BB game starts and would love to have a great intellectual debate on ISU wrestling with a fellow Cyclone wrestling supporter / Hawk Panther troll.

Rookie
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 500
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

Very good background behind our exsisting situation - aka...learn by fire. I would like for ISU to stay consistently in the top 8, with a solid push for a title in up years. The previous lackluster years, did not just happen overnight, nor did it begin with KJ, and the return will not happen overnight.
    I will support the extention. Proud to be a season ticket holder.

Walk On
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyputz View Post
    Very good background behind our exsisting situation - aka...learn by fire. I would like for ISU to stay consistently in the top 8, with a solid push for a title in up years. The previous lackluster years, did not just happen overnight, nor did it begin with KJ, and the return will not happen overnight.
    I will support the extention. Proud to be a season ticket holder.
    Me too, brother and I front row center mat for 10+ years.

Starter
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 697
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Quote Originally Posted by SammyWild View Post
    Doesn't hurt my feelings, I just think it's pathetic that you have such a problem you have to create fictitious accounts to criticize.

There is a history feature on here, people can read all of your "support."

You even admitted in one thread you don't have Iowa State season tickets, but you have them for UNI. And anytime anyone says something remotely negative about your hawks, you're here to defend them.

So keep trying to pretend you actually want Iowa State to succeed, it doesn't pass the smell test.

And another thing, all of your criticisms, I'm sure Coach Jackson would be happy to address them, go to his office.

I don't think you're queso, but maybe ronsnap. That's the closest one I've found so far

I'm really sorry my personal financial and life situation doesn't allow me to be a season ticket holder for ISU wrestling and thus I'm unable to be a fan in your eyes. Nevermind that ISU gets plenty of my $$$ otherwise. Oh, and what's this crap about going to KJ's office? Why do I have to do that? I thought message boards were for discussions? Guess I was wrong--gimme a break. And what do you think He's going to tell me if I did? He's probably going to agree with me that the expectations should be higher than the finishes we are getting.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 171

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Somehow someway this program needs to get back on top competing for titles. KJ has been here 5 years and only finished in the top 5 once. I like the guy wanted him as coach, but he just isn't getting it done.
    I sure didn't want KJ as the wrestling coach, my thinking was and still is that he cannot "Recruit" well enough to ever threaten Iowa in a Dual, not to mention beating Cael and Penn State.

After another dismal finish next year it will be time for a change.