Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 127

Cold shooting ends Iowa State's season

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/basket...m-women-story/

Tough day for Cyclones. Great quotes from Fennelly on Hallie Christofferson. She was a gem.

Twitter.com/brentblum

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 610
    Given: 389

Re: Cold shooting ends Iowa State's season

Hey, the ball must go in the hoop to win. Thought we were too slow to pass the ball around and to pull the trigger as they were following us around like bees. Really needed an option to score and we found none.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 160

"It wasn't a lack of open shots, Iowa State had a multitude of unguarded attempts that clanked off the rim or spiraled in and out."

I beg to differ Brent. Thirty-eight 3-pt. attempts is obscene, open or not. Just because a shot behind the line is "unguarded," doesn't mean it's a good shot. The first question posed to Fennelly in the post-game presser addressed this very issue.
    We need an offense in the future that works to get better looks closer at the basket, other than just jacking up 3's.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 451
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 416

This season left a bitter taste for me, mostly because of the recruiting failures that left a great Cyclone like Hallie, a small forward, out of position at the post all season.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 666
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 89

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    "It wasn't a lack of open shots, Iowa State had a multitude of unguarded attempts that clanked off the rim or spiraled in and out."

I beg to differ Brent. Thirty-eight 3-pt. attempts is obscene, open or not. Just because a shot behind the line is "unguarded," doesn't mean it's a good shot. The first question posed to Fennelly in the post-game presser addressed this very issue.
    We need an offense in the future that works to get better looks closer at the basket, other than just jacking up 3's.
    An unguarded 3 for a decent shooter is always a good shot. Unfortunately, for some reason this WBB team is just not a very good shooting team, which is hard for us Clone fans. BF teams have always been good from the outside, that is what they do best. Not so much this year.

Brett Blume
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 127

I absolutely understand where you are coming from. But this team had a limitation in their ability to score over size in the paint. Perhaps they should have attacked more, but it is tough to say the shots they did take weren't open.

Twitter.com/brentblum

Addict
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 915
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 698
    Given: 411

Today was my first live women's game ever. From the first 5 minutes on I knew it would be bad. FSU was on our girls all the time and made passing impossible. I have a few questions in general about the women's game. I've never seen so many kicked balls- is that a legitimate defense move? FSU had 25 turnovers but there were almost no points from these. Do women tend to pass across the court multiple times every possession? Saw this almost every time down the court. and finally, maybe it's strength but the women don't catch and shoot. It's like they push it up there but need to ready themselves first. Just frustrating is all...

Other than the actual game we had a good time today!

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 160

Quote Originally Posted by brentblum View Post
    I absolutely understand where you are coming from. But this team had a limitation in their ability to score over size in the paint. Perhaps they should have attacked more, but it is tough to say the shots they did take weren't open.
    Oh yes, they certainly were "open" - just as a shot from mid-court would usually be. My point was, a lot of them aren't "good" shots, as we don't have many effective outside shooters. It's been far too easy to explain losses this year by saying "we had good looks, the shots just weren't falling." Then work to get better shots by dribble-drives or more motion, instead of stationing three (sometimes four) players around the 3-pt. line...

Last edited by Tornado man; 03-22-2014 at 07:49 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 610
    Given: 389

Unfortunately, I agree. I have not been impressed with our offensive sets. We look simplified and not capable in many games. He needs to change something over the off season. We even have problems weaving the ball. Too loose.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Walk On
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by BoxsterCy View Post
    This season left a bitter taste for me, mostly because of the recruiting failures that left a great Cyclone like Hallie, a small forward, out of position at the post all season.
    Totally agree. To me she was far more impressive last year. She was right where she belonged and it worked well.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 36

I believe our players can shoot. Hallie, for example shot much better last year, and I don't think it is coincidence that so many players on our team had difficulty shooting many times during the season. I remember many times, Kid was unconscious shooting. Today she could hardly connect with the rim. They were keying on our three point shooting, and left two to guard most of the people that came in the paint. That is enough with this team, because they guard players that drive and if we put four outside the arc, they send someone out. They simply played better than we did, their defense was more effective, they had a deeper team than we did, were probably all around a better team than we are. We have no inside game except for Hallie, therefore our offense is very limited to whether we hit our shots. They contested a good many threes, and that gets the players worrying about shooting the three and throws off accuracy. We need an inside game.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

Addict
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 434
    Given: 367

Nice to read about Coach's comments to Hallie. That was the sort of thing I hoped he was saying to her as she left the court.

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 866
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 12

I think the team's confidence or heart left when Maddie got hurt. I don't believe that Maddie would have been able to do what Hallie did but she could have done something and freed-up Hallie. I think Hallie would have been even more effective than she was playing inside.

Whether you think you can or think you can't;
    you are right. Henry Ford

Walk On
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 191

obviously, Florida State was a lot more athletic than we were.

Not only did that make it tougher to get good shots, the times the ladies got some daylight, they seemed rushed.. they really sped Iowa State up, and we just couldn't get the proper spacing, and penetration to set anything up.

We had some good looks, but we took a lot of shots where they settled for a 3 because they couldn't get any movement, too much dribbling, not getting into their defense. Give them credit, they took the crowd out right away, and everytime we had a big shot that could have pulled us within 5, after our miss that scored.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 615
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 1

I totally agree with you. We had midrange shots but didn't take them instead passing out for yet another miss from behind the three point line. Is the Iowa State Way that everyone talks about NOT to shoot mid range jumpers. Buckley had several moves into the paint where she was wide open for a 6 foot jumper and passed it up to pass it out to perimeter. I know that Florida State that Defensive End for a post player but still the stop and pops were open and just not taken. Part of me is glad that this season is over because it has been such a struggle with which team shows up. I am hoping with a year under this year's freshman and our recruiting class coming in that next season will be able to be more successful.

Side note:(Incarnate Word won the Missouri State tournament and Bell is going to be very good for us. Fast, and she can shoot the three, and she can pass the ball better than any guard that we have on the team now. Collier is the real superstar and the best friend of future Cyclone Bell. She even gave her a piggy back ride off the court after their win.)