Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Do you wait for the entire program to implode prior to making a coaching change?

I'm just curious. Many people have given Mac yet ANOTHER year to prove himself (assuming this one goes in the crapper).

How long is too long? We're always going to have a good group of players returning which is a credit to Mac, so do we have to go 2-10 to justify a change to many of you?

With the very young defense we have, I don't think it would be a horrible time for a coaching change afte this season.

Our offense should be exactly as it is now, less the most important piece in Austin Flynn.

When is it time to cut bait????

Starter
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 349
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Do you wait for the entire program to implode prior to making a coaching change?

Why don't you wait to see how the season plays out before giving up. We could go 11-1 for all you know. We could also go 3-9. Let's wait to see how Mac develops and adjusts the team as the season moves on before throwing in the towel. If we tank this season it is time for a change, but you don't know if that will happen yet, so be a fan and cheer for your team until the season ends.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Do you wait for the entire program to implode prior to making a coaching change?

As frustrated as I get at the gameday coaching decisions, I am afraid of a head coaching change. Mac does a great job representing our program. However, Mac is a pretty conservative coach, and the problem we may be facing right now is the combination of a conservative offensive coordinator and a conservative head coach. The right combo could be an aggressive offensive coordinator and Mac to balance things out a little...

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 42

Quote Originally Posted by bootcy View Post
    Why don't you wait to see how the season plays out before giving up.
    Yeah...that would be nice.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 30

Bring Back Steve Loney!! I loved watching his offenses play!

Go Cyclones!!

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I said "assuming the season goes in the crapper". Obviously, if we win the next 10, a change won't be needed.

I've heard several people say he gets one more year even if this one tanks.

I'm just curious what one more year would prove. Lucky 13?

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I think we're all pretty sure of what we've got in Mac. One more year won't be needed to make it any more clear. (again, that's assuming this season tanks, hypothetically).

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 269
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I for one was impressed by our team on Saturday. I saw athletes that in most instances had their counterparts at a "high-profile" program outmanned, outcoached and outplayed. That doesn't always equal victory. Iowa will have a good season. You are a fool if you think they won't. The easy answer is to clobber the coach. My how young some of you must be to not realize what attending or tuning into an Iowa Iowa State game twenty years ago was like. That was bad coaching of bad athletes in an imploded program. Men against boys. I read some pretty absurd stuff on these boards but nothing is more absurd than to think that Mac is somehow on the verge of imploding the program by his sheer presence. There is some strange standard that's been placed on a man that pulled us out of almost SMU-like territory and put us back where we can complete with anyone in the country really. That doesn't mean win every game but definitely compete. NOW, I guess the next step is to criticize play calling every step of the way. Whatever gets you through the day.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Also skewed are peoples impression of how desirable Ames Iowa and Iowa State University are to the greater coaching public. Go find the next best assistant you can and we'll all watch him leave in 3 years for one of 2 reasons. He did good and is off to something better. Or he did bad and we're left with something worse. It's a FACT. Oh, that's right, that actually happened didn't it...

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If you're the Cyclones of the past, you wait until you have 4 or 5 losing seasons and your program is run into the ground, then wait some more until his contract is up and don't renew it.

If you're the Cyclones of the future, you fire your coach at the end of the season and find a better replacement.

My guess is Pollard already had the wheels turning toward that direction from day one.

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Oh, sorry. I forgot that we were really bad before Mac got here.

Lifetime contract.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CLONE2THEBONE View Post
    Oh, sorry. I forgot that we were really bad before Mac got here.

Lifetime contract.
    No I'm sorry. I forgot, Rome was in fact built overnight. Hey, I wish it were true that simply firing Mac would bring Big 12 championships and BCS bowls and a NON-conservative offense (whatever the F*^% that is) to Ames Iowa. If it were only that simple - as simple as your argument - every school would be able to instantly have a program the likes of Notre Dame, USC, Oklahoma, Texas... because those schools just snapped their fingers and had it all.

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

The "Ames isn't desireable" argument is good as well.

The poor us, stuck here in Ames syndrome is exactly what will keep Mac here. Acceptance of mediocrity for fear of something less than that.

Embrace the fear.

What coach would want to work in a BCS conference for a school so committed to it's football program that they're going to spend a billion dollars to improve its stadium? No one, I guess.

Starter
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 349
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

You treat the Clones like Huskers fan treated Nebraska under Solich. If we lose one game you are out looking for some one else. We could get a moron like they got in Callahan and make things worse. The difference is that we were never the program Nebraska was. Let's get through the season.

Look at the good programs, even when they are having down year's their fans back them and assume they will never lose. Maybe if we try supporting our team, like those fans do, even though they are often off they rocker, our team will think that they can not lose and go out there with some gusto and take it so some teams. If you can't support our team and what is here NOW, go to EIU. What ISU needs is supports.

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

"Hey, I wish it were true that simply firing Mac would bring Big 12 championships and BCS bowls and a NON-conservative offense"

Are you confident that keeping him will bring any of these things? Not me.