Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 2

Re: McDermott

Creighton fans are nebr football fans and have huge egos. They view moving to the Big East was a logical move as they "dominated" the Valley and they were too big for that conference. I don't think too many teams from the Valley were sorry to see them go other than the exposure they brought.
    I don't hate McDermott and think he is a great guy. Based on what he did at ISU, I don't think he can sustain what he's done so far once Doug and this class leaves now that they are in the Big East. If they do slide after this year I'll feel bad for Greg, not for Creighton.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,087
    Given: 870

Quote Originally Posted by cbro31 View Post
    NCAA pregame shown on TruTV just did a short piece on Creighton. Showed the coaching staff joking around and eating, and one of the assistants asked if Nebraska fans will cheer or boo Creighton, McDermott said Creighton fans will cheer for Nebraska with a smile. Then one asked if Iowa State fans will boo or cheer Creighton, McDermott responded, they will cheer for Doug and boo me, I don't know maybe they are still cheering I left. He said it in good humor, everyone had a good laugh.
    Not sure why some still have bad blood with him. Glad to see it way less on here the past few years. The ones to cheer against are those who became Neb basketball fans four weeks ago.

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,721
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 15

Creighton is half screwed once Dougie is gone. Not to say they'll suck but I'd be very surprised if they continue to be that good.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    Not sure why some still have bad blood with him. Glad to see it way less on here the past few years. The ones to cheer against are those who became Neb basketball fans four weeks ago.
    Still? Not me, but he was not a good coach. He could barely win a game against an actual good team and something like 33-40% of our players quit or transferred out. That's an unusually high number. He set our program back a handful of years and thank god for Hoiberg. He's lucky his son is so good because people will be surprised after this at his lack of coaching ability.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 614
    Given: 389

I thought Grant Gibbs was the glue for their team.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,506
    Given: 141

Quote Originally Posted by ThurgoodMarshal View Post
    does that mean you're rooting for the 'skers?
    yeah, in situations where I'm indifferent or dislike both teams, I tend to side with the underdog. It won't kill me to root for Nebraska. Also, a Nebraska win rubs additional salt into Iowa's already painful wounds, so yeah, call me a Husker fan for today. But only for today.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Rookie
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 579
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    Still? Not me, but he was not a good coach. He could barely win a game against an actual good team and something like 33-40% of our players quit or transferred out. That's an unusually high number. He set our program back a handful of years and thank god for Hoiberg. He's lucky his son is so good because people will be surprised after this at his lack of coaching ability.

The problem was player retention not coaching. He was and is a good coach. No coaching can overcome lack of talent consistently. A mystery how so many players left while he was at ISU, but that hasn't happened at Creighton. Things worked out for everyone and I am happy for him, Doug and mostly ISU fans.

Walk On
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

I wonder how Greg will do after his son leaves? He did well at UNI, but do you think Creighton will make the dance every year? I could see him doing fine, but I doubt he gets a 3 seed again.

Proud Partner in a Hawkeye Free America.
    I was born a Cyclone, and I will die a Cyclone!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 137

Quote Originally Posted by AgCyclone View Post
    I wonder how Greg will do after his son leaves? He did well at UNI, but do you think Creighton will make the dance every year? I could see him doing fine, but I doubt he gets a 3 seed again.
    People said he would struggle when they joined the Big East. That really didn't happen yet, it may not. The fact is Greg has won at every job except ISU. He will likely be fine going forward.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 554
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by ExCyment View Post
    The problem was player retention not coaching. He was and is a good coach. No coaching can overcome lack of talent consistently. A mystery how so many players left while he was at ISU, but that hasn't happened at Creighton. Things worked out for everyone and I am happy for him, Doug and mostly ISU fans.
    A) He's not a good in-game coach. I watched that "offense" in person.
    B) The "lack of talent" was his doing. Bringing in the likes of Brian Peterson, Sean Haluska, Dodie Dunson, Alex Thompson, Charles Boozer, Brock Jacobson, Cory Jefferson etc to compete against Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Mario Chalmers, DJ Augistin would've been laughable had I not had to watch it play out. No offense to any of those dudes that busted their *** for McDermott but they were overmatched.
    C) It wasn't a mystery why kids were leaving. I hope for his sake that Greg learned something about player relationships.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 233
    Given: 303

Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    Imagine that your fat, ugly, stupid ex-girlfriend left you for a male supermodel. You're confused and mad and a little jealous.

But then you meet and marry a girl who is prettier and smarter. You're really happy, but still confused about something, and not entirely sure what

Legend
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,165
    Given: 2,244

Quote Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone View Post
    Okay, just tried the thumbs up for this post, and it displayed as a thumbs down.

JEREMY!!!!! OR SOME OTHER MODERATOR!!!! PLEASE FIX!!!
    No, I really think you were trying to dis Bos' post. He's coming after you now!

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ExCyment View Post
    Sorry, but he's not a good coach. We had more than one NBA player on the teams, including a lottery pick and he still couldn't beat mediocre big 12 teams. A major reason they're good is because of McDermott - who is in the top 5 scorers in NCAA history now. I'll bet money on the fact that they won't be nearly as good in the next handful of years as they have been in the last few.

People also forget that a bunch of good teams left the Big East as Creighton entered it or right before. Syracuse, Notre Dame, West Virginia.. No doubt Creighton is good this year, but anybody who thinks that having one of the top 5 all time leading scorers in NCAA history isn't a major reason they're this good is smoking crack.

Last edited by marothisu; 03-20-2014 at 01:44 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 616
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 284

Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    Sorry, but he's not a good coach. We had more than one NBA player on the teams, including a lottery pick and he still couldn't beat mediocre big 12 teams. A major reason they're good is because of McDermott - who is in the top 5 scorers in NCAA history now. I'll bet money on the fact that they won't be nearly as good in the next handful of years as they have been in the last few.

People also forget that a bunch of good teams left the Big East as Creighton entered it or right before. Syracuse, Notre Dame, West Virginia.. No doubt Creighton is good this year, but anybody who thinks that having one of the top 5 all time leading scorers in NCAA history isn't a major reason they're this good is smoking crack.
    I'd say it has more to do with style of play. His style of play works well at a mid major level, but doesn't really work at a major level. That's why I think Creighton may not do as well in the future. I think the big east will still be a good conference, but if the rest of the teams are getting more talented players, his style won't work.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,392
    Given: 2,902

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    I think if this had happened the 1st year after Greg left, or even the year we went to the tourney with Royce, there probably would have been some hard feelings and heckling from our fans. It wasn't clear at that time how much the program would recover from that stretch or how long it would take.

At this point it's more like running into an old friend you had a falling out with a long time ago. You're never going to be best buddies again, but you're not mad anymore, it's nice to see them, and you're both happy the other one is doing well.
    If we hadn't gotten Fred and Hoiball wasn't off and running, there would be a LOT more ill will against GMac. We are better off now though.