Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 30

Re: Potential Transfers '14

Quote Originally Posted by AgCyclone View Post
    We should try getting some of Kentucky's players.
    Yeah, no. Recent Kentucky recruits are entitled, arrogant, and selfish. They put in their one season of ball hogging, and if it doesn't result in being a lottery pick, they're just going to be salty and pout for the rest of their career.

Kentucky recruits think they're choosing the path of least resistance to money, fame, and a year of college living in luxury. Have you seen those facilities? Some dictators would be jealous.

You have a proven coach and consensus top talent in the country, and look at their results. They're athletic, but all play "me" ball. 260th in assists in the country. They get what they deserve, and I want none of it.

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,918
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 463
    Given: 85

Quote Originally Posted by jboffer View Post
    Yeah, no. Recent Kentucky recruits are entitled, arrogant, and selfish. They put in their one season of ball hogging, and if it doesn't result in being a lottery pick, they're just going to be salty and pout for the rest of their career.

Kentucky recruits think they're choosing the path of least resistance to money, fame, and a year of college living in luxury. Have you seen those facilities? Some dictators would be jealous.

You have a proven coach and consensus top talent in the country, and look at their results. They're athletic, but all play "me" ball. 260th in assists in the country. They get what they deserve, and I want none of it.

You can't place all the blame on the players. Given the right leadership and emphasis, I'll guarantee you that they have some players that would thrive under Fred.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 609
    Given: 403

How much of that is the players and how much of that is coaching and a roster that was constructed in a way that didn't really make sense? Cal went out and recruited the HS all-star team, when he probably should have just concentrated on landing Randle and then surrounding him with the right complementary guys.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 780
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 692
    Given: 1,038

You bring in the best players possible, even if you already have a star at their position. Period end of story.

All-Star
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 173

Quote Originally Posted by isufbcurt View Post
    You bring in the best players possible, even if you already have a star at their position. Period end of story.
    I agree with you and the even better news is that Fred does too. He's said it many a times.

Starter
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 522
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    How much of that is the players and how much of that is coaching and a roster that was constructed in a way that didn't really make sense? Cal went out and recruited the HS all-star team, when he probably should have just concentrated on landing Randle and then surrounding him with the right complementary guys.
    Who knows I guess. Last year Cal was claiming his team was uncoachable. That they flat out wouldn't listen to him. I know we hate the guy, and it's easy to put blame on him, but he has an amazing resume. I can totally imagine a scenario where all these guys are too focused on putting on a show for NBA scouts that they refuse to listen to Cal.

Just the impression I got. I know it's not classy to throw your players under the bus, but when it's literally the best players in the country, it's not hard to imagine their egos being insurmountable.

Fred might be able to tame them. But I like what who we have been recruiting as transfers. They're all either --
    1. Players who BECAME a star on a mediocre team/league and wanted to step it up
    2. Players who got kicked off their team for likely stupid reasons (weed, or in Royce's case, false accusation) and needed a second chance

In both cases, you have humble players who are very thankful for the opportunity. In contrast, Kentucky recruits were told from the get go that they are the second coming, and were worshiped on campus, and think they're entitled to a national title just for putting on the jersey.

But it's not going to happen anyway, so I'll end the rant.

Legend
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 609
    Given: 403

Who knows I guess. Last year Cal was claiming his team was uncoachable. That they flat out wouldn't listen to him. I know we hate the guy, and it's easy to put blame on him, but he has an amazing resume. I can totally imagine a scenario where all these guys are too focused on putting on a show for NBA scouts that they refuse to listen to Cal.

Just the impression I got. I know it's not classy to throw your players under the bus, but when it's literally the best players in the country, it's not hard to imagine their egos being insurmountable.

Fred might be able to tame them. But I like what who we have been recruiting as transfers. They're all either --
    2. Players who got kicked off their team for likely stupid reasons (weed, or in Royce's case, false accusation) and needed a second chance

In both cases, you have humble players who are very thankful for the opportunity. In contrast, Kentucky recruits were told from the get go that they are the second coming, and were worshiped on campus, and think they're entitled to a national title just for putting on the jersey.

After two years of this crap it will be interesting if he learns his lesson or continues to hold onto that '11-'12 team as the rule and not the exception. It sure seems like Cal could easily grab 2 or 3 of the top 10 HS guys, fill in around them with 5th year transfers or non-and-done 4-stars that actually complemented his stars, and dominate in the SEC, if not nationally.

Addict
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 206

I said it before, Kentucky is a terrible team but a terrible team with NBA bodies.

They are just a waystation for the NBA, kinda sad really.

Legend
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 357
    Given: 277

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasrickj View Post
    I think it's kind of insulting to Naz Long what you just said. Naz has only shown CyclONE Nation that he is improving and keeps getting bigger and better. It's pretty clear, at least to me, that Naz Long is more than capable of being a good, solid, starting 2 next year. Also, Thomas and SDW have a big chance to prove to everyone their worth next year. Both were very big recruits, so the potential is there for them to both break out.

Also, why do you want to switch Niang's role? He's playing great ball and needs to stay where he is right now in the lineup because he clearly fits the mold in that style.
    I think it honestly comes down to this. ISU fans have tasted success and in order to improve the program, what was once good enough, might not be if you want to go to the next level. If you are simply happy with making the NCAA every year, than you can get solid players and be completely happy, but if you want to win championships, you have have solid players and great players. Naz is a solid player now. Not to say he doesn't get even better as his career goes along similar to Ejim, but you have to evaluate the team as it is now and the 2 spot this year and next year is clearly the weakest position on the team. It just is.
    I wont be heart broken if we can't land a good SG this off season but sure would feel better about the tougher early games next season if we do.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 16

Key to winning championship: Jr/Sr veterans on your roster. That's why Calipari can't win. I will take Jr/Sr veterans over top 5 HS players any day.

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by greatshu View Post
    Key to winning championship: Jr/Sr veterans on your roster. That's why Calipari can't win. I will take Jr/Sr veterans over top 5 HS players any day.
    Seriously? Do you really think that?

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 772
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 141
    Given: 33

Weird, a coach claiming his under performing team is un-coachable? Can't put much stock in that; sounds like an excuse to me.

So if i understand it, the Anthony Davis team was coachable, so of course they won the championship, but last year's team was uncoachable so they lost in the 1st rd of the NIT. Makes sense.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,445
    Given: 554

Except Calipari and Kentucky won it all led by freshmen Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist in 2012...

"Tonight's forecast... a freeze is coming." - Matty Ice
    #cyclONEnation

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by DandyCyclone View Post
    Except Calipari and Kentucky won it all led by freshmen Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist in 2012...
    Their roster had some key upper-class players like Jones, Lamb, and Miller.

Why do you think KU keep winning? Because they maintain at least few Soph/Jr/Sr returners.

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,918
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 463
    Given: 85

Their roster had some key upper-class players like Jones, Lamb, and Miller.

Why do you think KU keep winning? Because they maintain at least few Soph/Jr/Sr returners.
    I also tend to think Self could coach circles around Cal with the same team, but your point is correct.