Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 108
  1. #16
    Pro
    Points: 26,252, Level: 49
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 298
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    greatshu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    KS
    Posts
    2,151
    Points
    26,252
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 156

    Re: Dejean-Jones - Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agclone91 View Post
    I don't think talent is really the issue though.
    Their issue is NBA style offense that they supposedly run.



  2. #17
    Legend
    Points: 215,070, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranSocial
    State43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    14,358
    Points
    215,070
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,709
    Given: 845

    Re: Dejean-Jones - Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    Agreed. It would definitely be nice to have another wing for depth. I just think when Vaughn didn't commit a lot of us assumed a replacement starter at guard was a MUST HAVE, and now with the way Naz is playing down the stretch, I don't think that's necessarily true.
    I still do. Kane and what he brings will be a huge hole that Naz and Thomas just can't fill. We need a guy that can drive to the hoop, not just hit 3s.



  3. #18
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 34,025, Level: 56
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 225
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    CycloneWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Urbandale,Ia
    Posts
    3,524
    Points
    34,025
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 28

    Re: Dejean-Jones - Yea or Nay?

    I love transfer season. It's almost like free agency.



  4. #19
    Addict
    Points: 146,507, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stillwater, MN
    Posts
    6,210
    Points
    146,507
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 231
    Given: 43

    Re: Dejean-Jones - Yea or Nay?

    Combo guard with checkered history, eligible to play immediately, lead a bad team in scoring. Seems like a Fred Hoiberg special. Though a bit riskier since it is his second transfer. Fred would definitely need to give him the come to 3sus talk he gave Kane before he came here.

    Bryce Jones - Yahoo! Sports

    Bryce Dejean-Jones Stats, News, Videos, Highlights, Pictures, Bio - UNLV Rebels - ESPN




  5. #20
    Legend
    Points: 226,838, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    11,567
    Points
    226,838
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,094
    Given: 756

    Re: Dejean-Jones - Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by State43 View Post
    I still do. Kane and what he brings will be a huge hole that Naz and Thomas just can't fill. We need a guy that can drive to the hoop, not just hit 3s.
    I think it would be kind of foolish to try and recreate this team next year. Similar to moving on from Royce in 2012, it's very unlikely that we're going to bring in one player that can do all the things Kane does. Fred is going to have to re-define this offense yet again.

    So if you assume, look at the current projected starting lineup of Morris-Naz-Hogue-Nader/McKay-Niang and tell me which player is the one you definitely don't trust as a starter and is the clear number one priority to recruit over. I'm not saying we don't need to look for a talent upgrade for next year, I'm just saying, I don't think it definitely has to be a 2-guard.



  6. #21
    Legend
    Points: 127,375, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CyTwins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    14,438
    Points
    127,375
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,333
    Given: 4,054

    Re: Dejean-Jones - Yea or Nay?

    If Fred wants him, I want him. Simple as that



  7. #22
    Addict
    Points: 146,507, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stillwater, MN
    Posts
    6,210
    Points
    146,507
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 231
    Given: 43

    Re: Dejean-Jones - Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    I think it would be kind of foolish to try and recreate this team next year. Similar to moving on from Royce in 2012, it's very unlikely that we're going to bring in one player that can do all the things Kane does. Fred is going to have to re-define this offense yet again.

    So if you assume, look at the current projected starting lineup of Morris-Naz-Hogue-Nader/McKay-Niang and tell me which player is the one you definitely don't trust as a starter and is the clear number one priority to recruit over. I'm not saying we don't need to look for a talent upgrade for next year, I'm just saying, I don't think it definitely has to be a 2-guard.
    I love Naz, but objectively what position do you think is more of a weakness than the 2? Morris has been solid all year and our only confirmed HS recruit is another solid true PG. Ejim will be a big loss, but we can have some combination of Nader/McKay/Hogue filling out the 3/4 (in different ways). There is no replacing Kane.

    Obviously Naz has been coming on really strong late here, but he also spent the better part of the conference season really struggling. He's still only averaging 19.9 MPG (less than Thomas even). Naz and Thomas will be a big part of next year's team, but that is clearly the position with the most question marks. Don't get me wrong, I think we will be fine with Thomas and Naz at the 2, but I definitely would feel better if we had some other options to fall back on if they struggle again.




  8. #23
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 69,138, Level: 81
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    4,202
    Points
    69,138
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 2,066

    Re: Dejean-Jones - Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    I love Naz, but objectively what position do you think is more of a weakness than the 2? Morris has been solid all year and our only confirmed HS recruit is another solid true PG. Ejim will be a big loss, but we can have some combination of Nader/McKay/Hogue filling out the 3/4 (in different ways). There is no replacing Kane.

    Obviously Naz has been coming on really strong late here, but he also spent the better part of the conference season really struggling. He's still only averaging 19.9 MPG (less than Thomas even). Naz and Thomas will be a big part of next year's team, but that is clearly the position with the most question marks. Don't get me wrong, I think we will be fine with Thomas and Naz at the 2, but I definitely would feel better if we had some other options to fall back on if they struggle again.
    Excellent analysis! Good post!



  9. #24
    All-Star
    Points: 16,270, Level: 38
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    JWIL4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    1,348
    Points
    16,270
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 450
    Given: 143

    Re: Dejean-Jones - Yea or Nay?

    We have just 1 spot open next year right?



  10. #25
    Addict
    Points: 118,661, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,790
    Points
    118,661
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,977
    Given: 296

    Re: Dejean-Jones - Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by JWIL4CY View Post
    We have just 1 spot open next year right?
    No we have two open currently. We lose Ejim, Kane, Bluford and Bubu. We gain McKay and Custer.

    That leaves two spots but I would assume we will lose one of our own so that would make three.



  11. #26
    Legend
    Points: 226,838, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    11,567
    Points
    226,838
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,094
    Given: 756

    Re: Dejean-Jones - Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    I love Naz, but objectively what position do you think is more of a weakness than the 2? Morris has been solid all year and our only confirmed HS recruit is another solid true PG. Ejim will be a big loss, but we can have some combination of Nader/McKay/Hogue filling out the 3/4 (in different ways). There is no replacing Kane.

    Obviously Naz has been coming on really strong late here, but he also spent the better part of the conference season really struggling. He's still only averaging 19.9 MPG (less than Thomas even). Naz and Thomas will be a big part of next year's team, but that is clearly the position with the most question marks. Don't get me wrong, I think we will be fine with Thomas and Naz at the 2, but I definitely would feel better if we had some other options to fall back on if they struggle again.
    It's probably the 2, but I don't think it's the same as last year when we were definitely screwed if we don't get an experienced point or combo guard to lead really inexperienced backcourt. If say a Will Clyburn-type player became available I don't think we'd have to pass on him to save a scholarship for a guard, that's all I'm saying.



  12. #27
    Speechless
    Points: 306,184, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    19,090
    Points
    306,184
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,775
    Given: 2,076

    Re: Dejean-Jones - Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by JWIL4CY View Post
    We have just 1 spot open next year right?
    2

    MENS - Scholarship Chart | Basketball | Cyclone Fanatic



  13. #28
    Addict
    Points: 146,507, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stillwater, MN
    Posts
    6,210
    Points
    146,507
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 231
    Given: 43

    Re: Dejean-Jones - Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    It's probably the 2, but I don't think it's the same as last year when we were definitely screwed if we don't get an experienced point or combo guard to lead really inexperienced backcourt. If say a Will Clyburn-type player became available I don't think we'd have to pass on him to save a scholarship for a guard, that's all I'm saying.
    Oh I definitely agree with that. I think we are in good shape with whatever happens. Maybe SDW will have a Naz-like stepforward next year. Who knows?

    Just keep in mind we have 2 scholarships still open and we have yet to have a single off-season under Fred (or even going back to McD?) without a transfer-out as well. Maybe Bluford will be the only defection this year, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that there will be a spot open late even if Fred were interested in this guy (which he very well may not be!).




  14. #29
    Legend
    Points: 226,838, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    11,567
    Points
    226,838
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,094
    Given: 756

    Re: Dejean-Jones - Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    Oh I definitely agree with that. I think we are in good shape with whatever happens. Maybe SDW will have a Naz-like stepforward next year. Who knows?

    Just keep in mind we have 2 scholarships still open and we have yet to have a single off-season under Fred (or even going back to McD?) without a transfer-out as well. Maybe Bluford will be the only defection this year, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that there will be a spot open late even if Fred were interested in this guy (which he very well may not be!).
    Yea, in all honesty, I'm sure Fred IS looking for another guard to compete with Monte, Naz, and Thomas (and I suppose SDW) for minutes, especially since we have multiple open scholarships still. But I don't expect him to reach out of desperation for guys that aren't a sure thing like he did last spring with Bluford and that non-qualifier USC transfer.



  15. #30
    Pro
    Points: 36,825, Level: 59
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,025
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Agclone91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Carroll
    Posts
    2,019
    Points
    36,825
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 121

    Re: Dejean-Jones - Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    No we have two open currently. We lose Ejim, Kane, Bluford and Bubu. We gain McKay and Custer.

    That leaves two spots but I would assume we will lose one of our own so that would make three.

    Is it bad that I already forgot he started the season here



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM