Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 65,241, Level: 79
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,209
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    demoncore1031's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque,NM
    Posts
    5,531
    Points
    65,241
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 104

    What teams got shafted and what teams got lucky

    What is everyone's overall take on the brackets? Personally, I think we should have been a #2, and I don't like seeing UNC right there in the field of 32, assuming both teams make it. I think New Mexico got hosed being 7 Seed. I had them as a 4, but figured they would be a 5. BYU kinda lucked out even getting in. Louisville a 4 seed is pretty shocking. I had them as a 2, figuring we wouldn't get a 2. UCLA should not be a 4 seed. Colorado got an 8, should have been a 10 or 11.


    This is Ophion speaking.

  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 22,805, Level: 46
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 745
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Newton Ia
    Posts
    2,176
    Points
    22,805
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 0

    Re: What teams got shafted and what teams got lucky

    Virginia villinova and Michigan got lucky. Louisville def got the shaft and also agree we should have got a number 2 seed with our impressive resume. How many wins did we have again against top 25 teams or our record against them? Either way I think were a team no one wants to see



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 28,312, Level: 51
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered25000 Experience Points
    CoKane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,096
    Points
    28,312
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 417
    Given: 534

    Re: What teams got shafted and what teams got lucky

    Screwed:
    SMU
    Michigan State
    UMass
    UConn

    Lucky:
    BYU
    Oregon
    Memphis
    UCLA(Because they got a great home court advantage as a 4)
    Saint Louis
    Villanova



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 65,241, Level: 79
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,209
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    demoncore1031's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque,NM
    Posts
    5,531
    Points
    65,241
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 104

    Re: What teams got shafted and what teams got lucky

    I think we had 6 top 25 wins and 2 top 10 wins. We were 1 game better than Michigan overall, and play in a tougher conference. Not to mention, we BEAT THEM. Virginia got lucky, agreed.


    This is Ophion speaking.

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 186,917, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    8,555
    Points
    186,917
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 488
    Given: 228

    Re: What teams got shafted and what teams got lucky

    We got a very favorable draw to get to the Elite 8, but Mich St there is tough and our locations are pretty unfavorable for a 3 seed.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 22,805, Level: 46
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 745
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Newton Ia
    Posts
    2,176
    Points
    22,805
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 0

    Re: What teams got shafted and what teams got lucky

    Quote Originally Posted by demoncore1031 View Post
    I think we had 6 top 25 wins and 2 top 10 wins. We were 1 game better than Michigan overall, and play in a tougher conference. Not to mention, we BEAT THEM. Virginia got lucky, agreed.
    Thank you. Yeah only reason they got a 2 seed over us is because the name on their jersey. And Virginia because they play and won in the favorite acc



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 65,241, Level: 79
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,209
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    demoncore1031's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque,NM
    Posts
    5,531
    Points
    65,241
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 104

    Re: What teams got shafted and what teams got lucky

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones12321 View Post
    Thank you. Yeah only reason they got a 2 seed over us is because the name on their jersey. And Virginia because they play and won in the favorite acc
    Agreed about Michigan. Wait 10 years, and Hoiberg will have us to where we are getting all the breaks. I don't mind Virginia so much. They are good, but I didn't think they should be a 1.


    This is Ophion speaking.

  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 277,369, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    13,304
    Points
    277,369
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 684
    Given: 1,429

    Re: What teams got shafted and what teams got lucky

    I don't think Louisville got shafted at all. Look at their resume. I thought it was funny how all Gottlieb could do was cry about Louisville. When he asked the Selection Committee chair about them he served up that they must have been moved down a line for bracketing rules purposes. The chair shot him down pretty point blank and said yes they have been playing great but their complete body of work clearly didn't warrant any better of a seed. I have been going WTF for a while now with all of the bracketologists putting them so high. I think the committee got that one just about right.


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 95,829, Level: 96
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,221
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,030
    Points
    95,829
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 198
    Given: 465

    Re: What teams got shafted and what teams got lucky

    I don't know if I'd count it as a "shaft," but I was surprised North Carolina dropped below the 5 line.

    North Carolina State in over Minnesota — I might not have invited either one, and body of work is fairly close, but there is no way to justify NC State in over Minnesota when it's a coin-flip:

    Minnesota-NC State comparison


    Bass Lake Beacon: The best in local news satire

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 65,241, Level: 79
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,209
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    demoncore1031's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque,NM
    Posts
    5,531
    Points
    65,241
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 104

    Re: What teams got shafted and what teams got lucky

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    I don't know if I'd count it as a "shaft," but I was surprised North Carolina dropped below the 5 line.

    North Carolina State in over Minnesota — I might not have invited either one, and body of work is fairly close, but there is no way to justify NC State in over Minnesota when it's a coin-flip:

    Minnesota-NC State comparison
    I think UNC is right where they should be. I still don't really want to play them, but at the same time... bring 'em on!!!


    This is Ophion speaking.

  11. #11
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 2,828, Level: 15
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    292
    Points
    2,828
    Level
    15
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 115

    Re: What teams got shafted and what teams got lucky

    Quote Originally Posted by demoncore1031 View Post
    What is everyone's overall take on the brackets? Personally, I think we should have been a #2, and I don't like seeing UNC right there in the field of 32, assuming both teams make it. I think New Mexico got hosed being 7 Seed. I had them as a 4, but figured they would be a 5. BYU kinda lucked out even getting in. Louisville a 4 seed is pretty shocking. I had them as a 2, figuring we wouldn't get a 2. UCLA should not be a 4 seed. Colorado got an 8, should have been a 10 or 11.
    I thought Iowa was awfully lucky to get a play in.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 405,147, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,136
    Points
    405,147
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 306
    Given: 129

    Re: What teams got shafted and what teams got lucky

    Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    I don't think Louisville got shafted at all. Look at their resume. I thought it was funny how all Gottlieb could do was cry about Louisville. When he asked the Selection Committee chair about them he served up that they must have been moved down a line for bracketing rules purposes. The chair shot him down pretty point blank and said yes they have been playing great but their complete body of work clearly didn't warrant any better of a seed. I have been going WTF for a while now with all of the bracketologists putting them so high. I think the committee got that one just about right.
    Actually louisville got really lucky, imo. They didnt deserve any higher seed than they got (for the reasons you mentioned) but they have a path that involves an extremely overrated SLU (they lost to duquesne!) and wichita state at the 1 in their part of the bracket if they dont get beaten before then.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 729,693, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,387
    Points
    729,693
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,262
    Given: 625

    Re: What teams got shafted and what teams got lucky

    Quote Originally Posted by CoKane View Post
    Screwed:
    SMU
    Michigan State
    UMass
    UConn

    Lucky:
    BYU
    Oregon
    Memphis
    UCLA(Because they got a great home court advantage as a 4)
    Saint Louis
    Villanova
    Did you see the UCLA turnout for the PAC12 tournament? They had maybe 100 people in the building in Vegas (4 hour drive). Otherwise I agree with your list.

    Louisville got seeded about where they should have. Sure, they look like a very dangerous team, but their schedule was pathetic. Their conference is weak and they played hardly anyone in non-conference.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 52,520, Level: 70
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    MeanDean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Clarence IA-Jensen Bch FL
    Posts
    2,880
    Points
    52,520
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 282
    Given: 437

    Re: What teams got shafted and what teams got lucky

    In a way Virginia got lucky - because everyone else being considered for the last No 1 seed lost (KU, MU, Wisc, Duke). But after all that, winning the regular ACC title AND winning the ACC tourney is enough I feel they deserve it.

    I definitely think SMU got shafted. I thought BYU was good enough to make it but after all the experts predicted they were out, I was pleasantly surprised to see they made it.


    No matter what, I could NEVER cheer for Dirt and Urine.

  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 32,281, Level: 55
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    JohnnyFive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,283
    Points
    32,281
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 127

    Re: What teams got shafted and what teams got lucky

    Lucky:
    Duke
    Villanova
    Baylor
    Oregon
    Iowa

    Shafted:
    Iowa State
    Kentucky
    SMU



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 02:30 PM