Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Reality check

  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 15,700, Level: 38
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 750
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Waukon, Iowa
    Posts
    681
    Points
    15,700
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0

    Reality check

    I consider myself the eternal optimist on life in general, and also ISU athletics. However, I saw this quote on another matter, on another web site, and couldn't help but wonder if it applies to Cyclone basketball after 3 straight wins. "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king." I will feel better about this team when they beat somebody that is not in the bottom 100. Purdue would fit that description, also Alabama and Mo. State.



  2. #2
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 6,631, Level: 24
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indianola, Iowa
    Posts
    262
    Points
    6,631
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 82

    Re: Reality check

    Yes, it would be really nice to have at least one quality win before entering the Big XII season. But at least we're beating the bottom 100 teams better than we were earlier in the year. That's some kind of progress.


    "The values to which people cling most stubbornly under inappropriate conditions are those values that were previously the source of their greatest triumphs over adversity." -Jared Diamond, Collapse

  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 47,774, Level: 67
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    StLouisClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    2,708
    Points
    47,774
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Reality check

    Quote Originally Posted by necromancy View Post
    Yes, it would be really nice to have at least one quality win before entering the Big XII season. But at least we're beating the bottom 100 teams better than we were earlier in the year. That's some kind of progress.
    Texas Southern isn't just a bottom 100 team, more like bottom 10 team.



  4. #4
    Starter
    Points: 15,700, Level: 38
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 750
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Waukon, Iowa
    Posts
    681
    Points
    15,700
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0

    Re: Reality check

    I would rate Texas Southern ahead of Bethune-Cookman. At least TS got beat by some decent teams--- UTEP, Kentucky, and Texas



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 23,291, Level: 46
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    psycln11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,600
    Points
    23,291
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Reality check

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgeezer View Post
    I would rate Texas Southern ahead of Bethune-Cookman. At least TS got beat by some decent teams--- UTEP, Kentucky, and Texas
    Did you actually say Kentucky was a decent team???

    Maybe in the past but this year's team is horrid!!


    EDIT: Kentucky is 182 in the RPI compared to us at 111

    Iowa 249, Drake 47, and UNI is 115


    Last edited by psycln11; 12-20-2007 at 03:31 PM.

  6. #6
    Rookie
    Points: 14,956, Level: 37
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 694
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    380
    Points
    14,956
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Reality check

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgeezer View Post
    "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."
    Great quote, but a lot of people will over look a one eyed man because of his flaw, and then he will stab them when they least expect it.

    I do not read into these wins, and realistically, do not expect an NCAA tourney birth, let alone a NIT birth.... I do however find the season a sucess if our players can handle the adversity they have been through and continue to improve, much like our football program did this year.

    I think this adversity is the first the step back before the giant step forward.



  7. #7
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 6,631, Level: 24
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indianola, Iowa
    Posts
    262
    Points
    6,631
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 82

    Re: Reality check

    Quote Originally Posted by StLouisClone View Post
    Texas Southern isn't just a bottom 100 team, more like bottom 10 team.
    I think there's a lot of parity in the bottom 100, though.


    "The values to which people cling most stubbornly under inappropriate conditions are those values that were previously the source of their greatest triumphs over adversity." -Jared Diamond, Collapse

  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 20,455, Level: 43
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 295
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    trevn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    856
    Points
    20,455
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

    Re: Reality check

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgeezer View Post
    "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."
    That reminds me of the movie "Dirty Work"

    "They say in the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king. Well in the land of the skunks, the man with half a nose is king!"

    God I miss Chris Farley.


    www.drivethelane.com/bask - A great college basketball simulation. Give it a try, it's FREE, not to mention addicting.

  9. #9
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CTAClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Amerika
    Posts
    9,218
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Reality check

    What are you saying???? You mean we aren't going to be National Champs???

    What I take from our last two wins is we played like we were the better team, and hopefully this will transfer to some other games. Would love to replay the Drake and UNI game and see us play like a team with confidence. And hopefully, whoever shows up at Hilton our guys look at them as an inferior team.


    "If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."



  10. #10
    Rookie
    Points: 8,314, Level: 27
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Jables22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    386
    Points
    8,314
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Reality check

    Quote Originally Posted by trevn View Post
    That reminds me of the movie "Dirty Work"

    "They say in the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king. Well in the land of the skunks, the man with half a nose is king!"

    God I miss Chris Farley.

    Oh man, me too...... "That looks like the Siagon whore that bit my nose off!!!!"

    Farley :"Rolling Stones- Street Fightin' Man, G27"

    Jukebox: "If you like Pina Coladas......"



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 22,441, Level: 45
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    EggMcClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,374
    Points
    22,441
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Reality check

    Great actor. Tuesday was the 10th (!) anniversary of his death if you can believe that.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 16,779, Level: 39
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    clonerules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,168
    Points
    16,779
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Reality check

    Quote Originally Posted by CTAClone View Post
    What are you saying???? You mean we aren't going to be National Champs???

    What I take from our last two wins is we played like we were the better team, and hopefully this will transfer to some other games. Would love to replay the Drake and UNI game and see us play like a team with confidence. And hopefully, whoever shows up at Hilton our guys look at them as an inferior team.

    maybe i was watching the wrong game...but i for one would definately not want to play drake again,one of the most frustrating games i can remember...that game was no fluke, they are clearly the better team



  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 15,700, Level: 38
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 750
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Waukon, Iowa
    Posts
    681
    Points
    15,700
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0

    Re: Reality check

    Wait a minute! You say Kentucky isn't great? All that history, and didn't they hire a guy who many consider the best coach in the land? Maybe there is something to this theory of "coaches need time to get their own players in place."



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 36,803, Level: 59
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,047
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    wonkadog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    3,336
    Points
    36,803
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 80

    Re: Reality check

    Quote Originally Posted by clonerules View Post
    maybe i was watching the wrong game...but i for one would definately not want to play drake again,one of the most frustrating games i can remember...that game was no fluke, they are clearly the better team
    Until they shoot like they did in the 1st half against us again (which they haven't), I can see how some people would like to see another matchup. I will, however, readily admit that they are a better team this year and especially at that time when they played us.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 213,223, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,015
    Points
    213,223
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 9

    Re: Reality check

    Quote Originally Posted by wonkadog View Post
    Until they shoot like they did in the 1st half against us again (which they haven't), I can see how some people would like to see another matchup. I will, however, readily admit that they are a better team this year and especially at that time when they played us.
    This is the same logic Hawk fans get in trouble for when talking about playing MSU at the Breslin.

    "MSU hasn't shot like that since then, so I'd love a re-match."


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM