Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 101

Mulkey the Cruella DeVille of women's basketball

Big 12 basketball: Kim Mulkey's intensity is good for Baylor, and good for the conference | News OK

Nice article about Mulkey. Unfortunately he never hints at why coaches dislike her with a passion.

Rookie
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 15

Re: Mulkey the Cruella DeVille of women's basketball

My wife: is that her, the tall one with heels?
    Me: No, she's the short evil looking one.
    My wife: Yikes!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 884
    Given: 452

She's hated because she would win games by 50 and still keep Griner in the game. She also talks and acts like she's the ****. And I'll never forget the time she tried getting ****** off by taking off her shirt in front of the ref, and embarrassingly failed to do so.

If she wanted to, she could've had the same name in the game as Pat Summit with her talented teams, but Pat was never a ***** like Mulkey is, and once Mulkey is gone from the game, no one will miss her, and there will never be ESPN movies about her.

CF Big Brother Winner Season 1

CF Amazing Race Winner Season 1*

Future CF Survivor Winner Season 4

Addict
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,439
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 70

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCubswin View Post
    She's hated because she would win games by 50 and still keep Griner in the game. She also talks and acts like she's the ****. And I'll never forget the time she tried getting ****** off by taking off her shirt in front of the ref, and embarrassingly failed to do so.

If she wanted to, she could've had the same name in the game as Pat Summit with her talented teams, but Pat was never a ***** like Mulkey is, and once Mulkey is gone from the game, no one will miss her, and there will never be ESPN movies about her.
    Pretty much this. People know Pat Summit and Geno, but outside of the Big 12 and WBB fans in general, I doubt very few people know who Kim is. She may have dominated the Big 12, but she ended with 1 national title with Griner?

Pro
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 40

My wife is a very peaceful person. But I am not kidding when I say my wife wants to fight Mulkey.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 36

Quote Originally Posted by FarminCy View Post
    My wife is a very peaceful person. But I am not kidding when I say my wife wants to fight Mulkey.
    Mulkey is wierd. If I were Baylor, I wouldn't want her for coach, no matter how much she wins. But Baylor not surprisingly doesn't seem to mind. I don't think her coaching is the key to Baylor's success, it is the recruits she pulls in. Why they want to play for her at Baylor is a mystery hidden behind $ .

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 626
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Take a look at Griner's book. You'll figure out quickly Baylor is a quagmire of brimstone and damnation.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 878
    Given: 2,223

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    Take a look at Griner's book. You'll figure out quickly Baylor is a quagmire of brimstone and damnation.
    Haven't read it but know the jist of it. Sad that Griner while at Baylor had to hide who she is.

Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

Addict
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 234

It is extremely evident what Bill Fennelly thinks of her. Was it last year when Baylor was just killing us and she kept Griner in? At the end of the game, BF just blew past her for handshakes and wouldn't give her the time of day.

“I told you, I don’t care if you’re black or white. I don’t care if you’re rich or poor. I don’t care where you come from, whether it’s Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I don’t care about any of that… But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

One only need read this article, and the Facebook comments of its alumni to realize how tangled the politics are at Baylor.

I personally think Mulkey is an amazing coach, and she won a national championship way before Griner and Sims. We all need to be thankful that Baylor is in the Big 12, because, without them, Big 12 women's basketball would be as relevant as the Big 10, as in, NOT.

Brice Cherry: Griner

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 84

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    One only need read this article, and the Facebook comments of its alumni to realize how tangled the politics are at Baylor.

I personally think Mulkey is an amazing coach, and she won a national championship way before Griner and Sims. We all need to be thankful that Baylor is in the Big 12, because, without them, Big 12 women's basketball would be as relevant as the Big 10, as in, NOT.

Brice Cherry: Griner
    Thanks for the link! Great article. These two paragraphs stick out:

"But Baylor didn’t just defend Griner — it embraced her. It wrapped its arms around her, Bear-hug style, and didn’t let go. Fans turned out in droves to watch her warm up, much less play. Legions of pint-sized, pony-tailed future ballers wore her No. 42 jersey. She became a fixture in Waco, as ubiquitous as Dr Pepper, and fans still approached her for autographs and photo ops everywhere she went.

And she went everywhere. Renowned for her fun-loving, larger-than-life personality, Griner poured herself into campus life. She long-boarded all over campus. She attended parties. She formed a tight-knit group of friends outside of the basketball team. She certainly wasn’t hiding. One never would have gotten the impression that she was mistreated at Baylor, because the simple fact is that she was treated like a queen."

And then this zinger:

"As a lesbian, Griner doesn’t agree with Baylor’s official stance on homosexuality. OK, but the school has held that position for decades. If it was such an issue, why sign with Baylor in the first place?
    Furthermore, for Griner to intimate that because of Baylor’s school policy she was treated like a second-class citizen is disingenuous at best. It feels a little like a ploy to sell books."

I agree with you that Mulkey is an amazing coach. Other posters in this thread, including the OP, confidently predicted that Mulkey would not win the Big 12 this season without Griner. Well, guess what happened...

Last edited by Tornado man; 03-12-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 543
    Given: 377

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneRulzzz View Post
    Haven't read it but know the jist of it. Sad that Griner while at Baylor had to hide who she is.
    I guess I don't find it that sad - she's the one that willingly chose to go to a Southern Baptist university, knowing who they are and what they believe, and despite that she found a lot of success there. Obviously winning at a place that doesn't respect her lifestyle was more important to her than being who she is, thus why I feel no pity for her.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 626
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    I agree with you that Mulkey is an amazing coach. Other posters in this thread, including the OP, confidently predicted that Mulkey would not win the Big 12 this season without Griner. Well, guess what happened...
    That's one persons take on Griner. That's all it is. We all know basketball has a dirty side to it. A big influence on Griner signing with Baylor was the team hiring her AAU coach. So, here is a person you've developed a relationship with, that you trust, telling you to sign with Baylor. As an 18 year old you aren't thinking about the politics of a school. You see a gal that can coach (never said she couldn't) and a great group of recruits coming in. Sounds ideal to me. Once you sign on the dotted line it becomes next to impossible to do anything different.

I will admit, I didn't see any way Baylor would do what it did this year. Give all the credit to the coaching staff at Baylor for that. That doesn't change that I despise Mulkey and the way she coaches. And to say that the Big 12 would be irrelevant without Baylor is nuts. The Big 12 has always been and always will be a power conference. Nearly every year of its existence (and the Big 8 prior to that) there has been a women's team vying for the national title. It's like saying the Big East would be irrelevant without UCONN.

Legend
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 628
    Given: 1,237

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    That's one persons take on Griner. That's all it is. We all know basketball has a dirty side to it. A big influence on Griner signing with Baylor was the team hiring her AAU coach. So, here is a person you've developed a relationship with, that you trust, telling you to sign with Baylor. As an 18 year old you aren't thinking about the politics of a school. You see a gal that can coach (never said she couldn't) and a great group of recruits coming in. Sounds ideal to me. Once you sign on the dotted line it becomes next to impossible to do anything different.

I will admit, I didn't see any way Baylor would do what it did this year. Give all the credit to the coaching staff at Baylor for that. That doesn't change that I despise Mulkey and the way she coaches. And to say that the Big 12 would be irrelevant without Baylor is nuts. The Big 12 has always been and always will be a power conference. Nearly every year of its existence (and the Big 8 prior to that) there has been a women's team vying for the national title. It's like saying the Big East would be irrelevant without UCONN.
    Agree on all points. And don't forget that the Big 8 added Tech as well when it became the Big 12. Tech was no slouch in WBB when the Big 12 was formed. Big 12 BB is not and never has been Baylor and eleven posers.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Legend
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 92

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Thanks for the link! Great article. These two paragraphs stick out:

"But Baylor didn’t just defend Griner — it embraced her. It wrapped its arms around her, Bear-hug style, and didn’t let go. Fans turned out in droves to watch her warm up, much less play. Legions of pint-sized, pony-tailed future ballers wore her No. 42 jersey. She became a fixture in Waco, as ubiquitous as Dr Pepper, and fans still approached her for autographs and photo ops everywhere she went.

And she went everywhere. Renowned for her fun-loving, larger-than-life personality, Griner poured herself into campus life. She long-boarded all over campus. She attended parties. She formed a tight-knit group of friends outside of the basketball team. She certainly wasn’t hiding. One never would have gotten the impression that she was mistreated at Baylor, because the simple fact is that she was treated like a queen."

And then this zinger:

"As a lesbian, Griner doesn’t agree with Baylor’s official stance on homosexuality. OK, but the school has held that position for decades. If it was such an issue, why sign with Baylor in the first place?
    Furthermore, for Griner to intimate that because of Baylor’s school policy she was treated like a second-class citizen is disingenuous at best. It feels a little like a ploy to sell books."

If one is really interested, they can Google around and find former BU players disputing the things Griner claimed in her book. And your "zinger" is right on. Not only has BU's policy been openly published for years, Griner grew up in Texas. There is no way she couldn't have any idea of what BU would be like. Furthermore, if BU was causing her so much pain, there was an opportunity to transfer to a place more accepting of her lifestyle. The claims in her book just don't add up.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy