Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 90

Twister Sister Summary - the regular season ends with a loss

Final game of the regular season and the team actually ended up right about where most thought they would be - 50/50 in the conference and another 20 wins to their name.

For senior night it was a very small crowd. Lots of empty seats and the balcony was fairly vacant. The game started or I should say didn't start for the ladies in red. They didn't protect the ball and couldn't make a shot when they did. The first basket finally arrived at 15:39 after being down 11-1. The no offense was primarily due to Baylor pressure. They were bigger and quicker that our team (we did seem like we were playing in mud) and it was 19-6 nine min in. We couldn't shoot, couldn't get a call, and couldn't rebound. The team was shooting an abysmal 15%. Yes FIFTEEN percent. Ugh.

The team initially lived by the three with Brynn and Seanna hitting big hoops. Defense just couldn't get consistent stops and when they did and the offense had chances to close the gap we turned the ball over. After some spectacular games this was not Nikki's finest hour. She had several passes that were of the "what in the heck was she thinking" type. She just didn't take care of the ball and Baylor took advantage.

We couldn't consistently hit the outside shot and Baylor was killing us on the boards. With 1:42 left and they had a 24-17 advantage and it seemed like it should be much more. Add to that we were still only shooting 25%. Yes, an improvment, but still not good. Amazingly Sims hadn't scored.

The ladies had a chance to cut to 5 and Nikki threw it away. I’m not talking a run of the mill turnover. It was a miscommunication of some type as the pass cleared everyone’s head and sailed out of bounds. A defensive stop later and we got actually got fouled. Well, we had been fouled several times but this time of zebras actually called it. It was like instant replay as Nikki again threw it away. Terrible play by our point guard. These were just terrible passes and were just examples of some of the mistakes made during the game that really hurt.

The team kept having chances to get within 5 throughout first 5 min of second half and it was a repeat of early in the game - turn it over or miss. Then Baylor would get another shot separation and it just got tougher for the Sisters.

Yet, somehow they stayed close and it seemed like they were doing just enough to finally edge back in and then we would miss and Baylor would convert all while Sims was a non factor. Eight min in and Baylor had extended it to a 12 point game. This was looking tough. Then Hal picked up her 4th and she would go to the bench with 12 to go and the lead at 12 points. Unlike the past couple of games, the team didn’t pick up the slack.

I don't usually gripe about officials but this crew can't recognize a dog from a petunia. While they weren’t the physical hack-a-shaq team of old, they got away with several non-called displacement fouls, slaps, and major contact all night long. But when I saw who the officials were to start the night off I knew it “could” be a lousy called game. I was right. Despite the officials the theme of the night was the ladies were hanging around. Yet it seemed like Baylor was going through the motions. It almost felt like they had the attitude that it was “show up and we win.”

For every shot we made they made two. And of course the officials helped every chance they could. The biggest difference in this game besides missed shots was size. Baylor had some ladies that could have passed for linebackers on their football team. They were huge. Then add the height advantage and we were often seen with three ladies going for a rebound and one big Baylor woman soaring above them for the board. Second chance points were absolutely critical in this game as they always seemed to come when we had chipped away and had the lead ready to become one possession.

In the end it was too much inside game for Baylor. Final 70-54. By the way…Sims finally scored and it didn’t matter. The bigs killed us.

Ok, am I surprised by the loss? No. But, we didn't get any balanced officiating nor the best play by the ladies. I will give credit to Baylor. Their defense was tenacious. Their offense was efficient. We needed the perfect game and it didn't happen. Yet who thought we would end up at 9-9 just a couple of weeks ago? I didn't.

Next up...the conference tourney. More on that to come.

POG? Hard to pick. Seanna was her consistent self. Hal fought through foul trouble. So many contributed. So I'll not pick one tonight.

Rebounds. We were dominated at critical junctures of the game. Size kills. Baylor was huge and it showed in the stat line.

Lost in the shuffle was the Frosh of the Year competition. Nina Davis was freaking dominating tonight. Very, very good. 26 points and 9 boards. Meanwhile our own Seanna Johnson had a hard fought 9 points and 11 boards. These two are the best frosh in the conference hands down.

Free throws. We were hacked to death and the officials sucked. ‘Nuff said.

How about last game's star Jadda Buckley? She got some special attention and was a non-factor on the score sheet. Still made some nice assists but we needed more than 2 points from her.

There was something about the night that was just a little “off.” Don’t think it was a full moon, but the crowd being down, the ladies being disjointed and even Baylor not looking like the #6 team in the country were just kind of strange. Well, afterall...this has been a strange season so why not end it that way?

Last edited by acoustimac; 03-05-2014 at 06:59 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Re: Twister Sister Summary - the regular season ends with a loss

Well I had fun. It was great to meet you before the game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 641
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 140

Thank you, acoustimac, for your summaries of the Twister Sister games. They have been consistently top-notch throughout the season. Respect.

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 69

The story of the game was, 2nd chance points (their ability to get the rebounds) and the no calls against Baylor. While we had 16 fouls and they had 11 it was who the fouls were called on in this game that mattered. Hallie only playing 19 minutes hurt. Jadda only scoring 2 points hurt and Kid not scoring were big factors. IMO the player of the game was Seanna (and Freshman of the year) who has been the steady player on this team all season. She won't get the Feshman of the year in the conference because she did not have Simms throwing up up 664 shots and missing 363 of them so she could get the rebounds to put back in the hoop. The team has to just get ready for the next part of this season, tuorney time and make a run. Go Cyclones!!

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,050
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Psyclone View Post
    Well I had fun. It was great to meet you before the game.
    Definitely great to meet you as well! My buddy and I had a blast hanging out.

Pro
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 765
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by pourcyne View Post
    Thank you, acoustimac, for your summaries of the Twister Sister games. They have been consistently top-notch throughout the season. Respect.
    I appreciate the thought and conscientious decisions that go into your summaries. It's nice to read "opinionated facts " (that's a positive!) from someone who knows the game, players and officials' roles, and shares those facts without malice or unsubstantiated claims.

Will you be in OKC? We're sure hoping for more than a one-game series for ISU!

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,050
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I had tickets to be in OKC but had some family issues come up and had to cancel out. I will be in Ames for the NCAAs though. I'll be keeping up with the games through every resource I have!